It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
(female)

marie74 HB User
Need advice QUICK! dr. appt. tomorrow A.M.

Quick question - Wondering if borderline hypo-T could cause low ferritin/low hormone levels? My latest lab work shows low ferritin (9), low progesterone, estrone, and total estrogens. I originally went to dr. because I had lots of hypo symptoms, TSH is 2.53. He wanted to rule out any other cause of my symptoms before he treated the thyroid (2.53 is still in his 'normal' range). Anyway, I was wondering if hypo could cause this affect on my ferritin and hormone levels? Or maybe the other way around? Anybody else have these issues? Please respond ASAP - I leave for dr. early tomorrow morning. *Forgot to mention, I'm 34 years old.

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by marie74; 10-20-2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added info.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Need advice QUICK! dr. appt. tomorrow A.M.

I am not sure about the low ferritin causing hypothyroidism but it can cause fatigue.......I am sure someone will jump in here.......Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The low ferritin will not cause hypothyroidism. It mimics hypothyroid symptoms in those that are not hypoT and amplifies hypoT symptoms in the hypothyroid. SO just treating the ferritin will not treat the hypoT. You need to treat both. As to the estrogen issues... It could be just being hypothyroid or it may be adrenal/pituitary in nature.

MG

Old 10-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
(female)

marie74 HB User

Thanks for the reply MG. The doctor's office called this morning and ordered more lab work for tom. A.M. To check B12 and folate. They are checking to see if it's pernicious anemia?? She also confirmed the low hormone levels, and said that we'll deal with them after the low ferritin. I did ask if the 'borderline' hypo-thyroid was involved. She said they didn't know. Rescheduled the appt. for Friday when the new results should be in. I feel like this is a positive sign on finding an answer, yet I'm anxious as to what the answer is!?!?! Any thoughts?

Thanks again!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User

This might be TOTALLY unrelated, but do you have problems with your cycle? On top of my thyroid issues, I've had Polycystic Ovary Syndrome for years, which causes an increase in testosterone and a decrease in all the female hormones, like progesterone and estrogen. It seems that all hormonal imbalances effect each other, so it couldn't hurt to cover all the bases. Are you seeing an endocrinologist? You might want to mention this just in case. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
(female)

KellyABC HB User

Hi Marie! Just wanted to say good luck on your tests and keep us updated. I agree with the PCOS that the previous poster suggested. Something to look into for sure

Old 10-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
(female)

marie74 HB User

What are the symptoms of PCOS? Tomorrow I go to see a gastro. dr. I scheduled the appt. 2 months ago to try to figure out the diarrhea (sorry) issues I'd been having. I figured it was IBS - now I'm thinking it's probably related to the low ferritin.

I'm really getting nervous about the low hormones. PCOS sounds better than early menopause - I think? Is there treatment for PCOS? I'm really glad that I had my 3 beautiful children in my 20's if it is PCOS.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to stick it out until my appt. on Friday.

Thanks so much!!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Remember diarrhea can be caused by many things......

Lactose
Milk
Carrageenan........read up on this nasty additive and all the problems it can cause. See how many people have IBS symptoms from this and it is in almost everything...... I myself am avoiding it.

Good luck and let us know what happens.........Oleander

Old 10-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

As knewly diagnosed with PCOS [Polycystic ovarian syndrome] I have just dug through this. It seems to present often in thyroid or diabetic patients. It is endocrine in origin and presents a complex and baffling array of symptoms. These symptoms vary between individuals, but normally they consist of some combination of the following symptoms:
1) Multiple ovarian cysts (later stages) or irregular ovarian shape/form
2) Irregular or absent menses
3) Infertility due to lack of ovulation (low progesterone/high (estrogen/testosterone))
4) Acne (This is normally due to high DHEA levels)
5) Obesity or inability to lose weight (- HypoT Tummy tub also aggravated by insulin resistance)
6) Excessive body or facial hair (hirsutism) (Side effect of high DHEA/testosterone)
7) Insulin resistance and possibly diabetes (Detectable by the IGF level being high and your GTT showing hypoglycemic behavior)
8) Thinning of scalp hair
9) Velvety, hyperpigmented skin folds (acanthosis nigricans)
10) High blood pressure
11) Polycystic ovaries that are 2-5 times larger than healthy ovaries.

The key to early detection is the multiple hormone imbalances, commonly associated with PCOS including:
Androgens (testosterone)
Cortisol
Estrogens
FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) & LH (luteinizing hormone) If the LH:FSH ratio is 3 to 1 then PCOS is almost a guarantee. The timing of the blood draw is essential. You need to test when you would /should be ovulating... 13-16 days after the first day of your period.
Insulin.
progesterone
Prolactin.
Thyroid hormones.

PCOS can go hand in hand with thyroid issues. WHen the thyroid goes.. or another piece of your endocrine system the stress on the system as a whole can cause other things to fail. It is the whole domino effect many of us see. The earlier we treat our issues and the better we manage them the better.

MG

Closed Thread