It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
(female)

HyperCat HB User
Hyperthyroid and Stress

Does anyone know if a stressful event can drive up your thyroid levels quickly?

I had a really stressful night this past Friday (ugly relationship break up). Ever since then I am feeling like my levels have gone up (not tons, just a little). I'm feeling the heat intolerance and am back to everything I eat is going through me really quickly. Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen?

For background, I have Graves and was diagnosed about 6 months ago. My thyroid levels since being dx'd went waaaay down, back up a little too high and now they are (were) around normal.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid and Stress

Hi! Usually hyper is brought about by stress in the first place. Most will say they have hyper symptoms when stressed.I think the levels can be affected too if not that far into treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
(female)

MathTeach1 HB User

I have been told that yes, extreme stress can cause a flareup. In fact, extreme stress can be a trigger for hyperthyroidism to begin.

I don't have the labs to back it up, but I *know* mine was worse a week ago (diagnosed back in June). My daughter was home with pneumonia, DH and I were both trying to juggle our full time jobs and take care of her, and we came *this close* to taking her to the hospital. I was an absolute mess the next day.

Charisse

Old 10-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I was part of a research study in Maine when I had thyroiditis (viral/bacterial) plus hyperthyroidism. The research Dr. asked me if I had had a recent major stress episode. My husband had lost his job & was in the process of starting a new one which would involve moving. We had 5 young children & the money worry was great. The Dr. said he was interested in seeing if there was any correlation. Fam

Closed Thread