It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

faye57 HB User
Wink Cytomel dosage?

I'm taking 100mg. of Synthroid and hope to add Cytomel to my regime when I see the doc in a month. What is the typical dosage of Cytomel for this 100mg. of Snthroid? My doc. is pretty agreeable to new things - so I would like to ahve a Cytomel dosage to toss around with her. Does anyone think the Cytomel will help me lose these last 20 pounds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Cytomel dosage?

I do not know much about Synthroid.....I have never taken it... I have always taken a T3 and T4.......I believe Synthroid is just a T4 med.

I have taken Thyrolar2 with Cytomel and Armour with Cytomel........I think it depends on your needs.

I am taking 4 Grains (240mg) of Armour and 25 mcg of Cytomel. I was started on Cytomel 12.5mcg in the Afternoons and moved up to 25mcg in the afternoon.

It agrees with me and I feel it gives me more energy and has helped me with weight loss......not a lot but it seems that I have budged from the weight I was stuck at since starting it. I am probably about 8 pounds different now.

I am sure someone will come forward who has used Synthroid and Cytomel.

Good luck......Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
(female)

faye57 HB User

Thanks for your post. It seems like this thyroid business is an ongoing process and I am trying to read more and more about it. Do you have any side effects with Cytomel?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

I believe people often use 10 to 20 mcgs of T3 with 100 mcgs of T4. Some sources say that T3 shouldn't be more than 10% of the total hormone amount - the healthy thyroid produces about 80% of T4 and 20 % of T3 - I have this approach now (I used to go with about 10 mcgs of T3 per 100 mcgs of T4 but I had to change that a year ago) so the "truth" lies often somewhere in between Do not cut your T4 dose too much when taking T3 along - you may go from bad to worse - you need small changes to avoid unwanted symptoms (hyper symptoms if you take too much of T3 or hypo symptoms if you cut your T4 dose too much).

Old 10-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
(female)

faye57 HB User

Thanks for the good info. Do you have any experience with any side effects of Cytomel? Some have said there is even weight GAIN!! Ugh!!

Old 10-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye57 View Post
Do you have any experience with any side effects of Cytomel?
I believe most side effects occur with too high starting dose - you may get typical hyper symptoms - heart racing, palpitations, shakiness, nervousness. I had no real problems starting (I take Liothyronin which comes only in 20 mcg tablets so I could only take 1/4 ie. 5 mcgs) - the first day I noticed my eyes just stayed open - it felt like I couldn't close them when just before I could hardly keep them open - it also felt like my arms and feet were "frozen" - like I had cold blood running through my veins and I'd be standing on ice (my man stuffed flasks with hot water in my socks against my soles ) - those symptoms passed after a couple of weeks. I also had some sort of swelling in my nose and ears - they would "close" a while after I took my meds and that would pass in a few hours (that also happened when I upped my dose) - that happened for a couple of months.

I also went for the worse because I dropped my T4 dose a tiny bit (12,5 mcgs from 175 as I remember) so I ended up taking the same dose of T4 with T3. Besides that it has been pretty good - I've tried to be patient and raised the doses cautiously (I've had one real hyper episode on medication but that was also very likely due to quitting birth control pills)

After 2 years and 10 months I'm taking 30 mcgs of T3 - this dose has been my official dose for the past year. I am a bit swollen up - have been since last winter (I haven't really gained weight even when I was an untreated "sub hypo" but I also haven't lost it - the only time that happened was during the previous hyper episode but I gained it right back when I reduced my T4 dose - probably the swelling I'm having now isn't really a hypoT thing)

Old 10-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
(female)

faye57 HB User

I'm in menopause - at least I think I am!! Did that have any effect on anybody??

Old 10-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Frankly I love the Cytomel........I feel just like my old energic self on it...I was amazed. No no side effects for me.

I tend to be anxious but it did not give me any of that feeling.
The only thing I noticed was if I took it too late I had some difficulty going to sleep......... I was supposed to take my dose at 2pm.....well I am usually on a plane or busy working at that time and would forget....sometimes I took it as late as 5pm......do not do that......

Also my Endo said to take 1/2 tab at 2pm of the 25mcg and I forgot and started taking 1 whole one and it was fine.......after I realized it I told him and he said that was fine since it was not giving me any side effects. If I get forgetful and it is too late I will just take 1/2 tab.

I was having some GI problems when I started taking thyrolar2 and Cytomel combo but found out I have a milk allergy and Thyrolar2 has lactose in it so I have gone off that back onto Armour and the GI problems are clearning up.....so it was not the Cytomel..

I have no weight gain but some weight loss.......

Good luck..........Oleander

Old 10-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
(female)

faye57 HB User

Do you have any experience with Armour? I know many take that instead of the Cytomel and Synthroid combo. I've had good luck with my 100 mcg. of Synthroid - just don't feel I have the "pep" I used too - - cold hands all the time again too.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
(female)

faye57 HB User

Do you happen to know the optimum level for each of these tests:
TSH
T4
T3
I'd like to know what numbers I am shooting for!

Old 10-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Do you happen to know the optimum level for each of these tests:
TSH
T4
T3
You probably need to have your free T's (be sure that you have your FREE levels not the total ones taken) around or above midrange - your TSH will drop when you start taking T3 so you can forget about that and concentrate on getting rid of symptoms and balancing those free T's.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 10-25-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
(female)

faye57 HB User

Do you have any actual NUMBER ranges available? I always feel better when my TSH is below/@ 1.0 - but I don't know what I am shooting for in the T3 and T4 range. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Do you have any actual NUMBER ranges available? I don't know what I am shooting for in the T3 and T4 range.
Ranges vary from lab to lab so I can't give you any specific numbers. But for example my lab uses ranges 11-22 for FT4 so if I wasn't in this situation that I'm in now I'd probably aim for 17 to 20 or something like that. I've read that you over there have ranges like 0,8-1,8 so taking that into consideration I'd aim for 1,3 to 1,6 or so. I'm not a "number fan" - getting rid of symptoms is my main objective. Labs help me to deside which level I should try to change if needed - I need to have both my free T levels at the highest end of the range so if one is off that's what I need to address to.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 10-26-2008 at 03:10 AM.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Apollyon HB User

Quote:
I'm taking 100mg. of Synthroid and hope to add Cytomel to my regime when I see the doc in a month. What is the typical dosage of Cytomel for this 100mg. of Snthroid? My doc. is pretty agreeable to new things - so I would like to ahve a Cytomel dosage to toss around with her. Does anyone think the Cytomel will help me lose these last 20 pounds?
I started taking a cytomel a week ago today and I have lost 5 pounds. Im from England and T4 medication is called levothyroxine, I take 100mcg (Im assuming its the same as your synthroid). I take 10mcg of cytomel in the morning and another 10mcg when I get in from work. I was on a strict diet for 5 months and didn't lose a pound, so this is brilliant for me. Im hoping that cytmonel will also give my brain back. I have not had any side affects.
The ratio of T3 to T4 is 1:4.
Your T3 level should be between 3.9 -6.7
Your T4 level should be between 12 - 22

Old 10-30-2008, 12:52 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollyon View Post
Your T3 level should be between 3.9 -6.7
Your T4 level should be between 12 - 22
They have totally different ranges in the US and I believe there are differences between labs in every country. And also just being in ranges just isn't automatically optimal

Closed Thread