It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
(female)

ticketlady HB User
A Newbie Needs Help!

I find myself a probable thyroid patient here looking for some advice and help so I hope someone has some advice. My story-I found myself recently exhausted and after seeing my Dr. and getting some blood work, I got a call that my thyroid test came back with a TSH level of 5.88. She had me come back in to discuss it and she just wanted to re-test in 2 months but I am so exhausted I just about begged for her to do something else. The only other number she mentioned was 1.4 and I am not sure what that was measuring but she seemed to think that any medication was out of the question right now. She calls the 5.88 borderline high but I am absolutely exhausted. I end up either not going to work at all or going home early because I am so tired. I sleep long hours at night and still don't feel rested which she at one point suggested was a sleep problem, not a thyroid problem. I think she thinks I have a sleep problem because I mentioned that I was also having leg cramps at night. So she has put me on something for the leg cramps at night and will see me next week to see how it's going.

How do I get her to take this exhaustion more seriously and is a TSH level of 5.88 significant enough for medication. Thanks ahead of time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: A Newbie Needs Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketlady View Post
How do I get her to take this exhaustion more seriously and is a TSH level of 5.88 significant enough for medication.
Sad to say it, but it's likely not possible. She's made up her mind that it can't be your thyroid. Even though she's as wrong as white shoes in winter, you will get nowhere with her until you have suffered longer than anyone should have to.

Find yourself someone more thyroid-knowledgeable who will treat you now.

Edit to ask... You do know the leg cramps could be from your thyroid, too, don't you?

Last edited by midwest1; 10-29-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

You need to have her test you for Hashimoto's antibodies: TPOAb and TGAb.

Also she needs to run and FT3 AND FT4. If the 1.4 is the FT4 result. I suspect that your FT3 levels are LOW and that you will need adrenal and conversion factor testing. This MD of yours is dropping the ball. NORMAL TSH range hasn't been 5 or higher for well over TEN YEARS! In 2002 the recommended range was changed to 0.3-3.0. This has shifted since then in 2006. Making the upper limit even lower. You have the symptoms and your pituitary gland is screaming for help. YOu can try and reason with her.. BUT you may just have to shop for a more FORWARD thinking MD. I had to go through FIVE! It is very common to have to make a life quest to find a decent thyroid savvy MD to treat you and your loved ones.

MG

Old 10-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Did she do a regular blood panel-checking other reasons for fatigue as in iron levels? Is she an endo?

Time is the problem. If you fool around with her too long & it takes 3-4 months to get in with an ENDO then you could be up a creek as far as you thyroid levels. Medication takes awhile to work & then fine tuning is a whole other issue. My daughter tried to be the good patient while the Dr. dropped the ball after surgery & let her tsh get very high plus her calcium too low. I let my b/p go higher & higher with no end in sight while my Dr. experiemented. It is really hard to change DRs but we have to be tough & recognize when it is necessary. Leave the door open so if she is your primary Dr. you can come back for routine follow-ups & drug prescriptions. Just tell her you need a 2nd opinion. That's what I did. Fam

Last edited by famnd; 10-30-2008 at 09:18 AM.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
(female)

ticketlady HB User

Thanks for all the helpful information. To answer some questions, she is my PCP. I did have the blood panels to see if I was anemic, had my blood sugar tested, had liver and kidney function tests and was even tested for Lyme disease which is common in the Northeast. All was normal in these tests. This fatigue is killing me. I have an appointment a week from today but feel so tired today that I put a call in and spoke to her nurse who said she's have the Dr. get back to me. This is such an abnormal feeling for me who is usually so full of energy and out there doing things.

So how do you find a Dr. who is thyroid knowledgeable? And for those of you who suffered fatigue, did it come on gradually or was it sudden?

Closed Thread