It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

cammie96 HB User
Hi newbie here with questions :)

Hi I am a 33 year old mother of three. I am looking for any help or insight that could give me an idea problems my whole life. I could eat anything and never gain weight lol...Then when i got pregnant with my oldest 13 years ago I weighed 110 lbs. I gained 60 lbs with her even though i was throwing up 24/7. I had her full term and she was healthy I recieved a depo shot for birth control after and had a reaction and bled for 10 months straight!!! I thought that was odd. So after that she turned two and I dropped the weight i was down to 104 lbs and i had anxiety, shakes, could not sleep, etc. That happened off and on for years just thought it was anxiety lol...Then had my second child gained 50lbs and she was born healthy as well. I never dropped all the baby wieght. When she was around three i started getting bad anxiety, chest pains, could not sleep and racing heart. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I was told again it was anxiety, well for me when i get pregnant the anxiety usually gets better, so I found out i was pregnant with my thrid and everything was way different. I had panic attacks 24/7, my heart raced all day and night, i would wake up choking and gasping for air, i could not sleep, i was hot, my hands and feet were horribly hot all the time, my DR thought it was just hormones and said it would get better. Well it didn't it only got worse, i never gained a pound. I spotted at 5 weeks and I kept getting sicker. I lost over 35 lbs during my pregnancy, was on bedrest all of my pregnancy and saw several DR's. none of which could tell me anything. I saw an Enod DR and he suspected hyperthyroidism, tried me on meds but i could not tolerate the meds. So i just dealt with it. So, here are my levels from that time TSH 0.12 referance range was 0.28-5.00 FreeT3 2.2 referance range was 2.4-4.2 FreeT4 1.2 referance range was 0.7-1.8 and totat T3 was 144 referance range was 68-200. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ My son was born three weeks early and spent 16 days in the NICU he was 5' 15 ounces. I think that was due to my thyroid. I still continued to drop weight and lost a pant size a week for months after he was born. Oh and i had stroke like migrains during my pregnancy and after. I occasionally get them now. I had my levels checked after i had him and my TSH was around 1.2, now my levels are TSH 2.8 referance range 0.34-5.60, Free T4 is 0.9 referance range is 0.6-1.6, and Total T3 is 154 referance range is 87-178. My DR says i am within normal range but i have gained over 30lbs and counting. diet and excersize do not help. I am tired and have no motivation, I am still hot all the time, get racing heart, hot hands and feet and my hair and skin is horrible dry. my nails break, my hair falls out easily or breaks off. I am spacey, cant remember anything anymore its terrible. This has been going on for a year and a half with these symptoms. Can anyone help me?? My DR will not reffer me to an endocrinologist. I don't know what to do Any help or comments would be helpfull, thanks

Last edited by cammie96; 11-10-2008 at 12:56 PM. Reason: mispelled some words oops :)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Re: Hi newbie here with questions :)

Responding mostly to bump you up so you get some attention. Your situation sounds complex! If your current doc will not refer you to an endo, maybe you should change your primary doc. I think it sounds like you need help and I hope that you can get it. There are others on this board who know about pregnancy and thyroid issues, perhaps they will see your thread tomorrow. Good luck to you

Old 11-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
(female)

cammie96 HB User

thanks for the bump!!!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I can not answer now, but i am replying so I can dig into this and run on at length later this evening! I am off to see the wizard!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Cammie96,
Welcome to our thyroid dysfunctional family!

I am a 33 year old mother of three.
I am 33 too! I have only been able to have one successful pregnancy.

I could eat anything and never gain weight lol... Me too! My pregnancy was my trigger too! VERY COMMON!
Then when i got pregnant with my oldest 13 years ago I weighed 110 lbs. I gained 60 lbs with her even though i was throwing up 24/7. I had morning noon and night sickness too! This is getting a bit freaky.
I had her full term and she was healthy I recieved a depo shot for birth control after and had a reaction and bled for 10 months straight!!! My son was born 35 weeks 10 pounds very healthy. I breastfed for 10 months and then tried to go back on the pill. Initially I didn't have a period for a LONG while. I had to jump start mine. I was warned off the Depo shot by my OB SIL. I was guided to Yasmin.
I thought that was odd. So after that she turned two and I dropped the weight i was down to 104 lbs and i had anxiety, shakes, could not sleep, etc. That happened off and on for years just thought it was anxiety lol...
These are early hyperthyroid signs and could signify Hashimoto's in its early stages. Have you had your antibody levels tested?
Then had my second child gained 50lbs and she was born healthy as well. I never dropped all the baby wieght. When she was around three i started getting bad anxiety, chest pains, could not sleep and racing heart.
This can be Hashimoto's and some other endocrine side order issues. in particular adrenal issues. I need to see your actual testing levels and ranges.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I was told again it was anxiety, well for me when i get pregnant the anxiety usually gets better, so I found out i was pregnant with my thrid and everything was way different. I had panic attacks 24/7, my heart raced all day and night, i would wake up choking and gasping for air, i could not sleep, i was hot, my hands and feet were horribly hot all the time, my DR thought it was just hormones and said it would get better. Well it didn't it only got worse, i never gained a pound. I spotted at 5 weeks and I kept getting sicker. I lost over 35 lbs during my pregnancy, was on bedrest all of my pregnancy and saw several DR's. none of which could tell me anything. I really hate MDs that refuse to test the obvious and just prefer to put it on us as in our heads. *snort*
I saw an Enod DR and he suspected hyperthyroidism, tried me on meds but i could not tolerate the meds. So i just dealt with it. So, here are my levels from that timeYEAH I wanted these first off! I am a numbers girl!
TSH 0.12 (0.3-2.5) Is the actual range these days. Just so you know. This shows that you are hyperT according to your pituitary glands view of things.

FreeT3 2.2 (2.4-4.2) You are -11.1% of normal range. This is not good.
FreeT4 1.2 (0.7-1.8) You are 45.5% of normal range here. OKAY! You have a horrible thyroid hormone balance. Your T4 levels are just suboptimal in range. Your FT3 level is in the toilet! You need to check two things as a result of this finding. Your adrenal function in particular are your ACTH and cortisol 8 am fasting blood levels high. If so you need to pursue hyperadrenalism testing. You also need to test your T4 to T3 conversion. You need an RT3 test. If this is high you need T3 supplementation.

Total thyroid hormone values are irrelevent when pregnant OR when you have the FTs. You only really need the FTs, these are the most accurate and have the least issues with hormonal interference (A must for women).
You also need thyroid antibody testing. TPOAb and TGAB I suspect our good old friend Hashimoto's at work here. It just smacks of that tricky AI thyroiditis in its early phase.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ My son was born three weeks early and spent 16 days in the NICU he was 5' 15 ounces. I think that was due to my thyroid. I still continued to drop weight and lost a pant size a week for months after he was born. Oh and i had stroke like migrains during my pregnancy and after. I occasionally get them now. I had my levels checked after i had him and my TSH was around 1.2.
TSH 2.8 (0.3-2.5) This would be hypothyroid by the most recent 2006 A A C E recommendation. It would almost be hypothyroid by the 0.3-3.0 2002 recommendation. What TSH normal range is your Endo using. He cna not trust the labs to keep up to date. This one isn't!

Free T4 is 0.9 (0.6-1.6) You are 30% of normal range here. This is suboptimal for a woman of childbearing years. My MFM and OB stand by the 50-80% of normal is where a woman should be in FT range. Your Endo should as well.

Total T3 is 154 referance range is 87-178. There is more than 20% error in this test. You needed and Ft3.

My DR says i am within normal range but i have gained over 30lbs and counting. diet and excersize do not help. I am tired and have no motivation, I am still hot all the time, get racing heart, hot hands and feet and my hair and skin is horrible dry. my nails break, my hair falls out easily or breaks off. I am spacey, cant remember anything anymore its terrible. This has been going on for a year and a half with these symptoms. Can anyone help me?? My DR will not reffer me to an endocrinologist. I don't know what to do Any help or comments would be helpfull, thanks
I do not think you are normal. i think you are subclinical hypothyroid and most likely suffering from Hashimoto's to boot. You need additional testing.

TSH 3rd generation
Ft3
Ft4
TPOAb
TGAb
RT3

This will cover any thyroid issues. Depending on what these return as I may recommend adrenal testing. If you have Hashimoto's it can be passed to the children across the placenta barrier. Given the swings in your thryoid during pregnancy your Endo should have tested you for the AIT conditions. ESPECIALLY GRAVES TSI and TRAb wehn you were hyperT! UGH! We tend to have to drive our own thyroid treatment and diagnosis. If you want more insight, look into my thyroid care and concerns thread series. These are my written research findings and opinions on thyroid care and management.

MG

Old 11-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
(female)

cammie96 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Cammie96,
Welcome to our thyroid dysfunctional family! thanks

I am a 33 year old mother of three.
I am 33 too! I have only been able to have one successful pregnancy.

I could eat anything and never gain weight lol... Me too! My pregnancy was my trigger too! VERY COMMON!
Then when i got pregnant with my oldest 13 years ago I weighed 110 lbs. I gained 60 lbs with her even though i was throwing up 24/7. I had morning noon and night sickness too! This is getting a bit freaky.
I had her full term and she was healthy I recieved a depo shot for birth control after and had a reaction and bled for 10 months straight!!! My son was born 35 weeks 10 pounds very healthy. I breastfed for 10 months and then tried to go back on the pill. Initially I didn't have a period for a LONG while. I had to jump start mine. I was warned off the Depo shot by my OB SIL. I was guided to Yasmin.
I thought that was odd. So after that she turned two and I dropped the weight i was down to 104 lbs and i had anxiety, shakes, could not sleep, etc. That happened off and on for years just thought it was anxiety lol...
These are early hyperthyroid signs and could signify Hashimoto's in its early stages. Have you had your antibody levels tested? no i have not had thattest yet but i picked a new PCP i see her next week. So i will have a list of stuff to ask her to run.
Then had my second child gained 50lbs and she was born healthy as well. I never dropped all the baby wieght. When she was around three i started getting bad anxiety, chest pains, could not sleep and racing heart.
This can be Hashimoto's and some other endocrine side order issues. in particular adrenal issues. I need to see your actual testing levels and ranges.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I was told again it was anxiety, well for me when i get pregnant the anxiety usually gets better, so I found out i was pregnant with my thrid and everything was way different. I had panic attacks 24/7, my heart raced all day and night, i would wake up choking and gasping for air, i could not sleep, i was hot, my hands and feet were horribly hot all the time, my DR thought it was just hormones and said it would get better. Well it didn't it only got worse, i never gained a pound. I spotted at 5 weeks and I kept getting sicker. I lost over 35 lbs during my pregnancy, was on bedrest all of my pregnancy and saw several DR's. none of which could tell me anything. I really hate MDs that refuse to test the obvious and just prefer to put it on us as in our heads. *snort*
I saw an Enod DR and he suspected hyperthyroidism, tried me on meds but i could not tolerate the meds. So i just dealt with it. So, here are my levels from that timeYEAH I wanted these first off! I am a numbers girl!
TSH 0.12 (0.3-2.5) Is the actual range these days. Just so you know. This shows that you are hyperT according to your pituitary glands view of things.

FreeT3 2.2 (2.4-4.2) You are -11.1% of normal range. This is not good.
FreeT4 1.2 (0.7-1.8) You are 45.5% of normal range here. OKAY! You have a horrible thyroid hormone balance. Your T4 levels are just suboptimal in range. Your FT3 level is in the toilet! You need to check two things as a result of this finding. Your adrenal function in particular are your ACTH and cortisol 8 am fasting blood levels high. I had a 24 FREE cortisol urine test results were 34 i dont know the referance range My creatinine is 204.4. If so you need to pursue hyperadrenalism testing. You also need to test your T4 to T3 conversion. You need an RT3 test. If this is high you need T3 supplementation. I will ask for the RT3 test as well

Total thyroid hormone values are irrelevent when pregnant OR when you have the FTs. You only really need the FTs, these are the most accurate and have the least issues with hormonal interference (A must for women).
You also need thyroid antibody testing. TPOAb and TGAB I suspect our good old friend Hashimoto's at work here. It just smacks of that tricky AI thyroiditis in its early phase.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ My son was born three weeks early and spent 16 days in the NICU he was 5' 15 ounces. I think that was due to my thyroid. I still continued to drop weight and lost a pant size a week for months after he was born. Oh and i had stroke like migrains during my pregnancy and after. I occasionally get them now. I had my levels checked after i had him and my TSH was around 1.2.
TSH 2.8 (0.3-2.5) ref range is (0.5-5.0) This would be hypothyroid by the most recent 2006 A A C E recommendation. It would almost be hypothyroid by the 0.3-3.0 2002 recommendation. What TSH normal range is your Endo using. He cna not trust the labs to keep up to date. This one isn't!

Free T4 is 0.9 (0.6-1.6) You are 30% of normal range here. This is suboptimal for a woman of childbearing years. My MFM and OB stand by the 50-80% of normal is where a woman should be in FT range. Your Endo should as well.

Total T3 is 154 referance range is 87-178. There is more than 20% error in this test. You needed and Ft3.

My DR says i am within normal range but i have gained over 30lbs and counting. diet and excersize do not help. I am tired and have no motivation, I am still hot all the time, get racing heart, hot hands and feet and my hair and skin is horrible dry. my nails break, my hair falls out easily or breaks off. I am spacey, cant remember anything anymore its terrible. This has been going on for a year and a half with these symptoms. Can anyone help me?? My DR will not reffer me to an endocrinologist. I don't know what to do Any help or comments would be helpfull, thanks
I do not think you are normal. i think you are subclinical hypothyroid and most likely suffering from Hashimoto's to boot. You need additional testing.

TSH 3rd generation
Ft3
Ft4
TPOAb
TGAb
RT3

This will cover any thyroid issues. Depending on what these return as I may recommend adrenal testing. If you have Hashimoto's it can be passed to the children across the placenta barrier. Given the swings in your thryoid during pregnancy your Endo should have tested you for the AIT conditions. ESPECIALLY GRAVES TSI and TRAb wehn you were hyperT! UGH! We tend to have to drive our own thyroid treatment and diagnosis. If you want more insight, look into my thyroid care and concerns thread series. These are my written research findings and opinions on thyroid care and management.

MG
I will take down all you advice and present it next week to my PCP. Hope she will reffer me thanks for all the advice and help!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
(female)

cammie96 HB User

Well thanks for all the advice. I see my new DR next thursday, since my last one was unwilling to even listen to me. I also had a 24 urine tet for Creatinine and Cortisol I don't knoe the referance ranges for there but here are the results. Cortisol is 34 and Creatinine is 204.4 they say in the normal range. I have not had anymore tests other than the ones i told you about. My DR was convinced i had depression lol...I told her i was depressed because i waqs gaining alot of weight so she interpreted it as depression lol... She says i dont have hyperthyroidism anymore and i dont need to see an endo DR. So we will see what my new DR says thanks a bunch cammie.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
(female)

cammie96 HB User

Ok. So went to my new DR who also thinks i do not have a thyroid issue because my levels are in the normal range. The only tests she ordered are another TSH, Total T3, ANA, and a rheumatoid arthritis test. My TSH level is now 1.24, but last month it was 2.85, can it fluctuate that much? I will post the rest of my results when i get them this week

Old 11-25-2008, 06:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes. The TSH is not the best tst for thyroid function/health. You have to look at the whole picture. That means the ACTUAL thyroid produced hormone levels. Free T3 and Free T4. Are you on birth control pills? Hormonal supplements?

The new MD is testing you for ANA a different autoimmune issue. If positive you get to rule out MS, arthritis and more. You need to insist on the thyroid antibody tests. You can have antibodies attacking and interfering with your thyroid LONG before you drop out of NORMAL range. I am afraid to say you may need to keep looking for a better MD to rule out a thyroid issue.

MG

Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
(female)

cammie96 HB User

no i dont take any birth control or hormones. I got my rheumatoid factor tests back and the ANA they are negative. The Dr ran the two antibody tests and the FreeT3 but results are not back yet. I have no choice but to find a new DR because my husband was laid off at work so i have to get different insurance I will let you know what the tests say when i get them back. thanks

Old 12-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
(female)

cammie96 HB User
Question Re: Hi newbie here with questions :)

hi, i am back with my results of latest tests. Thyroperoxidase Antibody: (my result):< 10 (test Range):< 35- IU/mL Thyroglobulin Antibody (my result): 13.7 (high) (Test Range)< 4.0- IU/Ml and my FreeT3 )My Result) 335 (test range): 210-440 I have attatched a copy of what my PCP discussed with an Endo DR....let me know what you think...

My DR spoke to an Endo and here is a copy of what he said.....Most of your lab tests were normal with the exception of Your
thyroglobulin antibody.
I have discussed your case again with the endocrinologist since receiving
the results of your blood test. Here is what he said:
Her thyroid function studies are all normal as expected since TSH is a
much more sensitive test than FT4 or FT3 levels for detecting primary
hypothyroidism.
Anti-thyroid antibody testing rarely adds anything diagnostically or
therapeutically. Her anti-TG antibody test might be borderline positive
suggesting that she might have some underlying Hashimoto's thyroiditis
(common in people with a history of Graves) though anti-TPO is usually
positive too. Even without a history of Graves, Hashimoto's is common and
does not cause any symptoms unless primary hypothyroidism develops- which
it has not.
As per the previous chart review, her thyroid is not the issue and
further thyroid testing is not needed.

It is clear from the specialist perspective that your thyroid is not the
cause of your problems.
I am happy to see you back in the office if you have any other questions
or concerns.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

You need to find someone willing to treat secondary and subclinical hypothyroidism. Your MD consulted an Endo that is a TSH hugger. He only wants to deal with overt hypothyroidism which means toss T4 at it and it all will be better.

Your FT3 levels are at 54&#37;. This is not bad and not hyperthyroid in level. It is bottom of the optimal range for childbearing females and males... so it may or may not be enough for you.

You do have a positive Hashimoto's indicator. You have Hashimoto's. As a result you will be more susceptable to AI effects

MG

Old 12-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #13
(female)

cammie96 HB User

thanks!!! i am so glad to hear that i am not crazy and what i have thought all along is finally confirmed thank you so much I have to find a new DR....which will have to wait til next month as my hubby was layed off two weeks ago so i have no health coverage right now but hopefully he will find work soon and we will get new coverage and a better DR

Old 12-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #14
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

Cammie, are your ears ringing??? My tests are always fine as far as TSH, FT's, T's go. My TPO is (or was) 447 when <35 is the ref. range and TG <20 when <40 is the ref. range.

I think my endo is definitely a TSH hugger too. It's amazing, you can walk into a doctor's office, tell them you're depressed and they'll give you a prescription for addictive medication. Try and get the thyroid treated, you become a lab rat.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #15
(female)

cammie96 HB User

lol....so true so very true!!!

Closed Thread