It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

Shawnamarie HB User
Initially feeling worse with Armour?

Hi everyone,

My naturopath is trying to help me figure out what is wrong with my health. The latest blood tests showed my FSH to be at 3.004 so she suggested I try Armour Thyroid. I am only taking .5 gram, once each morning.

This morning was my second dose and I feel worse in some ways. Even yesterday, I was exhausted. I am still exhausted and then this morning I found that I feel a bit more constipated than usual. Do people sometimes feel worse initially with Armour before feeling better? Or is this a sign that I should stop taking it? I'm going to try getting in touch with my doctor later.

My general symptoms (which led her to consider thyroid issues) are: low energy, low blood pressure, MANY food and vitamin sensitivities, acne, constipation, and I'm sure there are more. I react to almost every vitamin or herb that is given to me to try to help with my acne, food sensitivity, constipation, and energy issues. I'm utterly confused. Also, I'm 31 and have been dealing with these symptoms for many years.

Thanks for any insight,
Shawna

Old 11-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
(female)

Shawnamarie HB User
Re: Initially feeling worse with Armour?

One more symptom that goes along with my vitamin intolerances... I have very low Vitamin D issues, but can't tolerate any forms of supplementation for it. Does this relate to thyroid issues?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
(female)

Shawnamarie HB User

Maybe nobody has actually felt worse with Armour thyroid...

Old 11-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
(male)

wdiguy HB User

Usually the boost of t3 which is in Armour makes you feel good at first. However, if your t3 levels and t 4 levels are off in someway the armour could be making you feel worse. Everyone is different so it may pass in a couple days. Do let your doctor know though. Also.... do you have your free t3 and free t4 levels w/ ranges?

Old 11-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
(female)

Shawnamarie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdiguy View Post
Everyone is different so it may pass in a couple days. Do let your doctor know though. Also.... do you have your free t3 and free t4 levels w/ ranges?
Not any that are done recently, which would probably be good to have.

I have been doing some reading and found a website that described exactly what I have been feeling on the Armour. They say that a poor reaction to Armour (and other forms of thyroid support) can indicate adrenal insufficiency, and that this may need to be addressed before the thyroid can be helped.

I suppose I have more testing to do.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #6
(female)

lu55 HB User

I am another person who cannot tolerate vitamin D. I am on Armours and discovered that my D level is extremely low. My doc gave me a supplement, 5,000 IU, but it threw my thyroid into a tizzy. I had the same symptoms I had before I started on the Armours.

I tried to take a much lower dose (400) of D and build up to the recommended dose and, again, I had tremendous fatigue and total body pain.

Several days ago, my doc suggested that there is some connection between the thyroid and vitamin D--what he isn't exactly sure. However, he is concerned because my D level is so low. The game plan is that he will add vitamin D and regularly test my thyroid in an effort to see if there is, indeed, a connection.

Also, I had to slowly increase my dose of Armours. If you do not feel good, I would decrease the dose and slowly build up to the recommended dose.

I will keep you posted on how I do w/ the vitamin D and let you know what the blood test reveal regarding a connection with the thyroid (this makes sense because we are talking about hormones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnamarie View Post
One more symptom that goes along with my vitamin intolerances... I have very low Vitamin D issues, but can't tolerate any forms of supplementation for it. Does this relate to thyroid issues?

Old 11-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #7
(male)

wdiguy HB User

Yes you will read that if your adrenal glands are sluggish and not working properly. The T3 in the Armour will not make you feel good but feel worse. This is because your adrenal glands cannot handle the T3 right now. You might want to do a 24 hr saliva test and see what your cortisol levels are.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:13 AM   #8
(female)

Shawnamarie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu55 View Post
Also, I had to slowly increase my dose of Armours. If you do not feel good, I would decrease the dose and slowly build up to the recommended dose.

I will keep you posted on how I do w/ the vitamin D and let you know what the blood test reveal regarding a connection with the thyroid (this makes sense because we are talking about hormones).
Thanks, lu55. When I take Vitamin D it acts like a haywire hormone in my body, which makes sense because it is essentially a hormone.

I may just hold off on the Armour until I can get my adrenals in check. Not sure yet how to do that.

Keep me updated!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
(female)

Shawnamarie HB User

Wdiguy, have you gone through this course of action yourself? I am curious to hear from people that have treated adrenal insufficiency and how that was for them.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdiguy View Post
Yes you will read that if your adrenal glands are sluggish and not working properly. The T3 in the Armour will not make you feel good but feel worse. This is because your adrenal glands cannot handle the T3 right now. You might want to do a 24 hr saliva test and see what your cortisol levels are.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
(male)

wdiguy HB User

Have tested adrenals with the STIM & Saliva. However my adrenals were fine. I just have done so much research with thyroid and other things cause I was feelling bad trying to figure out whats wrong.

Closed Thread