It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
(male)

abbotsford HB User
What happens after Radioactive Iodine Treatment

My husband was diagnosed with Graves Disease 6 weeks ago. This caused also atrial fibrillation. He has been treated with Tapazole until 5 days before he received the radioactive iodine treatment. He started Tapazole again 2 days after the radiation, but is supposed to take it only for two more weeks. My question is what do we have to be prepared for? He does not feel very good. Will it become worth or when should it become better. What happens when he stops the Tapazole after 2 weeks. Will the radiation be strong enough to cut down the hormone overproduction?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: What happens after Radioactive Iodine Treatment

I have a thread you might find helpful on RAI and TT facts and such:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=610550[/url]

Now in most cases having an RAI will kill the thyroid. It normally does not make it toe the line and begin working optimally. It attakcs and kills the thyroid tissue. Your husband and you need to follow his thyroid hormone levels carefully and look out for the hypothyroid rebound. My Aunt had TWO RAIs because the Endos couldn't stabilize her levels. She had Hashimoto's and Graves. She finally insisted on a TT because the RAIs did nothing but make her sicker.

Did the MDs even try to regulate your husband with anti-thyroid drugs first? Or did they just go for the Hail Mary RAI? If they automatically went for the RAI.. you amy want to look into an alternate MD to manage your husbands care. I have a thread on general thyroid care and concerns. It is more geared to hypothyroidism, but it may help you look out for the hypoT issues as well as tell you what tests you need to have done to insure that your husband thyroid health and function are being followed OPTIMALLY.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

I wish you the best.
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread