It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

goody23 HB User
what happens when you take synthroid with food

what happens when you take synthroid with food

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: what happens when you take synthroid with food

It interferes with the absorbtion of your meds. After taking meds you should always wait at least 10 minutes - preferably more - before breakfast.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-18-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

All I know about synthroid or any of the thyroid meds is you take on an empty stomach and at the same time everyday. I have taken it whenever i wanted to with or without food...all I can say nothing obvious happens.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
(female)

calail HB User

as i understand it, food in your stomach can affect the way your body absorbs levothyroxine (the meds). so, if you eat before or after you take your meds, you may not absorb the full dose of med; your body won't get what it needs. also, absorption of T4 (synthroid) on an empty stomach is faster than when there's food in there.

don't do it! more info here: [url]http://www.rxabbott.com/pdf/Synthroid.pdf[/url]

Last edited by calail; 11-18-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

That is my understanding too, it affects the way your body absorbs the meds. However, my dad always takes his meds with his meals. I think I read somewhere that you really need to be consistent, always taking with food or always taking on an empty stomach. If you take meds with food you may need a higher dose than if you took without food.

Closed Thread