It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
High reverse T3 mean anything?

Hi guys. I was "clincally'" dx with lyme yesterday-not definitve through blood tests. So I am on antibotics to see if it helps my stabbing deep pains, muscle twitches all over my body, vibration feeling in left foot and EXTREME joint cracking--now joint grinding

I did find out my reverse T3 was 413 and it should not be higher than 350.

Does this mean anything???

Old 11-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
Re: High reverse T3 mean anything?

Sorry guys just realized I posted this earlier. Anyhow, over the past 1.5 yr my TSH has gone from 4.84,3.26,2.83,2.6. My free t 4 was 1.59 -range, .61-1.76 andmy triiodoth free 3.4 ranger 2.3-4.2

Does this combined with my high reverse t 3 mean anything>? Could this cause my issues?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The high RT3 means you are not converting your T4 into T3 efficiently. Instead you are converting your T4 to Reverse T3.. the inactive form of T3 that takes up space but can not be used to meet your T3 metabolic needs. In most people with high RT3, T3 supplementation of their thyroid levels is helpful.

MG
My free t 4 was 1.59 -range, .61-1.76 andmy triiodoth free 3.4 ranger 2.3-4.2
You are 85% of normal range in Ft4. This is nudging the hyperT T4 range, it is definitely above the 50-80% normal range. Your Ft3 is 57.8% of normal. This is a result of your poor T4 to T3 conversion. You have an imbalance of almost 30%. You are getting too much T4 WHICH from personal experience cause joint and bone pain out the WAZOOO! I have been there OUCH! Your Ft3 is at the bottom of optimal range. Are you on thyroid supplementation? If so what kind and how much?

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 11-19-2008 at 08:09 AM.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Gosh, okay so I wonder if this could be the cause of my issues vs lyme! Can one have muscle twitches with this too? I was given some sort of thyroid med, maybe armour 30mg to bring my TSH down some. I have not taken it yet. So does this mean I am leaning more towards hypo? What would you do in this situation?

My pains are like toothaches that hit my bones/joints and jump around some days I dont have them, other days they are hitting random fingers etc.

I also have muscle twitches ALL over, EXTREME EXTREME joint cracking and nerve pains from time to time. I have had this for 5 months but nothing every showed in my MRI or EMG, etc... Just one pos band for lyme and two IND which hence--they like to see TWO pos bands for lyme at least. So while I am on treatment for this as of this week (I dont know what else could cause all of this) I still want to hunt out other possibliites in case this is not the ticket.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

hypoT HB User

I was reading up on Lyme Disease because many of the symptoms parallel those of hypothyroidism and Wilson's Syndrome. My reverse T3 used to be >400 like yours. High reverse T3 can cause clinical hypothyroid symptoms because it fits into the T3 receptors upside-down blocking good T3 from activating the receptors. When your reverseT3 is that high, it blocks a lot of receptors and your metabolism slows down regardless of how much T3 you have. Having high reverse T3 is called Reverse T3 Dominance, or Wilson's Syndrome (commonly assoc. with low body temperature).

My doc put me on 12hr extended release pure T3 to bring the reverseT3 down and it worked. BUT...before you think of T3 supplementation, get your cortisol levels checked. If your adrenals are not working properly, T3 sup. could damage them

But back to the cracking joints & Lyme Disease. I was watching "Mystery Diagnosis" and there was a case about a girl who was having severe pains in her muscles and bones to the point where she could hardly walk and muscles would spasm and contort her fingers. Turns out she had undiagnosed Lyme Disease for 2 years even though she had TESTED NEGATIVE for Lyme many times. Turns out, Lyme is hard to catch in a random blood sample. The girl in the show finally went to a Dr. who tested her blood, tissue, and something else extensively before she showed up positive--and she had a pretty advanced stage of the disease!

Hope that helps

Old 11-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

I am currently taking meds for lyme, just started this wk. I only had one pos vs the two that is recommended. But based off my symptoms the LLMD has put me on this program. With that however I worry that there is a chance something else could be going on.

Could this reverse T cause all of these symptoms?

What kind of test would test my cortsil levels checked?

Did you have my symptoms?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

hypoT HB User

Get a 4 point saliva test for the cortisol (ZRT Labs...there are some other companies too). Get a blood test for the freeT3, freeT4, reverseT3 (Labcorp, Quest, etc.).

I didn't have the muscle pains or nerve pains (that sounds like lyme), but my joints got really loose...like they would kinda pop out under minimal stress. I would get shakey--like my hands would shake/tremor. Also, my hands were ice cold all the time and my body temp. was 97.3 degrees Try taking your temp 3 times throughout a day and average them. If you average under 98.2 deg, then you are being affected by your reverseT3.

I was super fatigued, foggy-headed, lost my short term memory, would get really dizzy (fell into the wall in the morning quite often), slept all day and all night but never felt rested, low stamina, very hard time losing weight, loss of appetite...the list goes on.

It turns out I am hypothyroid as well as having high reverse T3. If you share those symptoms, I would definitely have your thyroid panel redone with the tests I mentioned earlier.

Last edited by hypoT; 11-20-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 11-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

My weight usually flucuates actually from 100 to 109 ( I am 5'5) but it can flucate that within 2 wks.

My hands are always cold, but I think they always have been. I have been more cold than usual in general. In March I started to feel fatigued and went to my dr to run my TSH. My TSH is always all over the chart from 4.8 down to 2.8 then up to 3.6. My frees are within normal range. The reverse t3 is very high.

Can this cause joint pains?

My temperature is usually at 75.4, I tested today and it was 75.2! If I was hypo wouldnt my free's have been out of range?

Old 11-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2626 View Post

My temperature is usually at 75.4, I tested today and it was 75.2! If I was hypo wouldnt my free's have been out of range?

Typo surely!!!

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 11-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

haha, yes, 97.2 I meant. My brain is foggy

Old 11-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

hypoT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2626 View Post
My weight usually flucuates actually from 100 to 109 ( I am 5'5) but it can flucate that within 2 wks.

My hands are always cold, but I think they always have been. I have been more cold than usual in general. In March I started to feel fatigued and went to my dr to run my TSH. My TSH is always all over the chart from 4.8 down to 2.8 then up to 3.6. My frees are within normal range. The reverse t3 is very high.

Can this cause joint pains?

As I said before, high reverse T3 mimics hypothyroidism and drops your body temperature/slows your metabolism. You sound just like I did...my weight would fluctuate 5lb in one week, hands have always been cold, low body temperature! My joints in my hands were stiff b/c they were cold and my ankles and elbows did crack alot, but my hips and shoulders were loose--it was wierd.

So even if you are not clinically hypo according to your freeT3 and freeT4, you are still EFFECTIVELY HYPOTHYROID because your reverse T3 is blocking your freeT3 from working. Hence, you can have very broad symptoms, brain fog and fatigue included. Your condition is called Reverse T3 Dominance or Wilson's Temperature Syndrome.

Get your cortisol checked and find someone who with give you extended realease pure T3. You will feel so much better even if you have Lyme disease as well!!!

Also, can you post your actual freeT3 and freeT4 values? If they are in the lower 50% of the normal range, that may even be too low.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Thanks so much. My free T3 was 1.50 (range .61-1.76)
My triiodothyroniine free serums was 3.4 (range 2.3-4.2)

Ughh I just feel so awful and in pain all over!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

hypoT HB User

Your free T3 levels look good, but your reverseT3 is blocking it from working. So you are effectively hypoT. Get some extended release (c-liothyronine in E4M) from a compounding pharmacy in 7.5mcg capsules. Take capsules an hour away from food or drink every 12 hours and increase dose by one capsule every day until you feel the dose is too high (racing heart, shaky, can't sleep). Stay at the max dose you can handle and you will feel much better in ~2 weeks

How are things coming with the Lyme treatments, btw?

Last edited by moderator2; 12-22-2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 12-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Great thanks so much! Starting to feel btr, though still have pains here and there...hope it really is the lyme and not just a good couple of wks!

I will look into this protocol!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

searich HB User

Does this mean anything????

Closed Thread