It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
(female)

Thyroidsufferer HB User
Question Hyperthyroidism and Flexeril

I just found out that if you suffer from hyperthyroidism you absolutly should not take Flexeril. I have been hypothyroid for 6 years and on Armour. My TSH has always been in a normal range up until this summer when I became hyperthyroid. In April I had a fall and was perscribed Flexeril, it was June when my TSH showed I was now hyperthyroid. Has anyone ever heard of Flexeril CAUSING someone who is hypo to become hyper???

Thyroidsufferer

Old 11-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroidism and Flexeril

No, the medication would not have made you either hypo nor hyperT. The reason it is not recommended for those who are hyper is because it can raise the heart rate and/or blood pressure, which would be extremely dangerous for someone already prone to those effects from the hyperT.

The thyroid disease warning on most drugs pertains mainly to hypERthyroidism - and to untreated hyperthyroidism, at that - because of the exacerbative effects those drugs can have on heart rate and blood pressure... Not because they inherently cause excessive thyroid hormone per se.

The thing is... For people who take Armour, their TSH is usually never within the normal lab range. For the vast majority of Armour-takers, the dose cannot be optimal without their TSH being suppressed. Did you feel well when your TSH was in the "normal" range? That would represent severe undertreatment for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
(female)

Thyroidsufferer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
No, the medication would not have made you either hypo nor hyperT. The reason it is not recommended for those who are hyper is because it can raise the heart rate and/or blood pressure, which would be extremely dangerous for someone already prone to those effects from the hyperT.

The thyroid disease warning on most drugs pertains mainly to hypERthyroidism - and to untreated hyperthyroidism, at that - because of the exacerbative effects those drugs can have on heart rate and blood pressure... Not because they inherently cause excessive thyroid hormone per se.

The thing is... For people who take Armour, their TSH is usually never within the normal lab range. For the vast majority of Armour-takers, the dose cannot be optimal without their TSH being suppressed. Did you feel well when your TSH was in the "normal" range? That would represent severe undertreatment for me.
Thank you, I now understand why hyperthyroidism is on the warning label of Flexeril.
As far as my TSH levels on Armour, while in the normal range I always felt fine (6 years), I even felt okay when I became hyper, a little more anxious but I attribute that to severe stress I was under. I have been on a 1/2 of a .025mg dose of Levothyroxine for 8 weeks now and have never felt worse. My TSH is still .03 (it was
.01 in June) and I now have severe arm pains that never go away and headaches that were constant for 4 weeks and now come and go. The arm pains are the reason I was checking into Flexeril becuase Ibuprofen doesn't help the pain anymore.
Thank you,
Thyroidsufferer

Old 11-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Hi!
Like midwest said the reason for not taking it when hyper is the heart rate thing and the bp. My levels are within range now, if anything hypo so I take it occasionally for the muscle/nerve pain I get from time to time in my neck and shoulder. I had a bad muscle strain the other day(something I did at work) and I took one 2 days in a row and boy it really helped me! When The Motrin doesn't seem to do the trick, the Flexeril does help, just make sure your levels aren't showing hyper.You'll know if it's bothering you as your heart rate might go up some. I'm fine with it.
p.s. I only take it at night as it tends to make you drowsy.

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 11-23-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Closed Thread