It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 03:29 AM   #1
(female)

moonlightandjj HB User
if a nodule produces thyroid hormone why.....

Hi
I have a question to ask. Logic to me would suggest:

If a nodule can produce too much thyroid hormone and then you add the thyroid hormone from the thyroid surely TSH test would be high and not low?

Or doesnt it work like that?

Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User
Re: if a nodule produces thyroid hormone why.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightandjj View Post
Hi
I have a question to ask. Logic to me would suggest:

If a nodule can produce too much thyroid hormone and then you add the thyroid hormone from the thyroid surely TSH test would be high and not low?

Or doesnt it work like that?

Anyone have any ideas?
The TSH is not a thyroid hormone, its a hormone which is produced by the pituitary gland to tell the thyroid to produce either more or less thyroid hormone. If you have too much thyroid hormone in your system the TSH will be low, telling the thyroid to 'slow down'. If you have too little thyroid hormone the TSH will be high telling the thyroid to 'speed up'.

Hope this helps

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Last edited by tygwyn; 11-23-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2008, 05:50 AM   #3
(female)

moonlightandjj HB User

Hi
thanks for the reply. But doesnt it seem irish that if the thyroid is producing a lot of thyroid hormone and a nodule also produce thyroid hormone (i.e hot nodule) you would of thought that as you are producing double the amount of thyroid hormone, levels of the thyroid hormone in your system would be high and not low.
Strange how tests work isnt it
Thanks again

Old 11-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You don't understand what Tygwyn said.

Again... TSH is not a thyroid hormone. It's produced by the pituitary gland and simply regulates the amount of actual thyroid hormone produced by the thyroid gland. The thyroid hormones are T4 and T3. When the thyroid gland is making excessive amounts of T4 or T3, the pituitary gland slows down or stops its TSH production; when there is too little T4 and/or T3 in circulation, the pituitary puts out more TSH in order to stimulate the thyroid gland to work harder.

Too much thyroid hormone = less TSH pituitary hormone
Too little thyroid hormone = more TSH pituitary hormone

Last edited by midwest1; 11-24-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Closed Thread