It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Synthroid vs Levoxyl experiment

I've been on Synthroid with varying doses since January. My insomnia got a bit better but "bloating" abdominal was horrific! so, asked pharmicist to switch to Levoxyl. It's been about 8wks and insomnia worse, boating better, more constipation. I can't believe the difference with these meds! same dose but complete set of different symptoms! So, do I chose "no sleep or less bloating" back on Synthroid, sleep is crucial to my mental health! Waiting for "Armour", my holistic dr put a call into my endo, he doesn't want to change my meds w/o his blessings, urgh! I told my holistic don't worry, I'll stay with YOU, but he wants endos' approval! something to do with the fact I have high antibodies? so what! all I know is this pill is not right for me! never had bloating, insomnia oh yes, had that for yrs! but looking 6months pregnant because of a pill is not cutting it! My last labs with increase of Synthroid looked pretty good:
tsh 1.08
Free t4 1.15 ( .80-2.60)
Free t3 3.0 (2.3-4.2)

Well, looks like these meds sure have different responses! Just wonder why the Synthroid cause such bloating!? and levoxy not as bad? but insomnia worse on Levoxyl? Praying, I can give Armour a trial run???? hanging on til tomorrow and see what Holistic will do? Has anyone had good luck ridding these symptoms with Armour, or equivalent?
Hysterectomy

Old 11-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User
Re: Synthroid vs Levoxyl experiment

I am on 75 mcgs Levoxyl with a wicked case of insomnia. Absolutely horrid. I take all manner of benedryl and stuff to fall asleep.

Interesting you mention the constipation, tho. I always thought it was because I wasn't on enough T4 as of yet. My numbers and overall hypo symptoms are pretty good right now, but I am horribly constipated. I even thought I was pregnant recently, that's how constipated I got. It's from the Levoxyl, huh?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2008, 05:06 AM   #3
(female)

alikat709 HB User

hi kindspirit,
I am on armour ,as I switched from synthroid in june. I am not yet optimal ,as my doc doses me verrrrrry slow. BUT I can tell you that I feel sooooo much better than I ever did on armour ,so push for it.
I am on 2 1/4 grains at present, I also take extra selenium,mg,iron,vit C,B complex,sublingual B12,a multi, lugols solution, and celtic salt.
I am going to the gym almost everyday, I am eating better ,breakfast,lunch,dinner (all healthy) and snack of lowfat activia yogurts,or fruit. drinking lots of water with a slice of lemon.
I had horrid insomnia for the longest time while on synthroid. I am sleeping like a baby ! I am dead tired by 10 pm, I get up at 6.
I think when you start giving the body what it needs ,things kick into gear and things start to improve.. fight for that armour, tell your doctor you no longer are seeing the endo .so he doesn't need his blessing because he has yours .
kathy

Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Your post spoke to the chemist in me... so here is the difference according to the FDA public ingredient listings database...

Synthroid ingredients:
Active: Synthetic crystalline L-3,3',5,5'-tetraiodothyronine sodium salt with the molecular formula C1_(5)H_(10)I_(4)N NaO_(4)*H_(2)O. Yeah cringe blot it out.. run away!
Inactive: Acacia, confectioner's sugar (contains corn starch), lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, povidone, concentration varied food coloring, and talc.

Levoxyl:
Active: synthetic crystalline L-3,3',5,5'-tetraiodothyronine sodium salt with the molecular formula C1_(5)H_(10)I_(4)N NaO_(4)*H_(2)O. Well no change here.. so we have to look to the INERT/INACTIVE ingredients.
Inactive: Microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium and magnesium stearate.

Levothyroxine (My Generic ingredients):
Active: synthetic crystalline L-3,3',5,5'-tetraiodothyronine sodium salt with the molecular formula C1_(5)H_(10)I_(4)N NaO_(4)*H_(2)O. Well no change here.. so we have to look to the INERT/INACTIVE ingredients AGAIN.
Inactive: Magnesium Stearate; Microcrystalline Cellulose; Colloidal Silicone Dioxide; Sodium Starch Glycolate.

The main issue with the inert ingredients is allergic reaction. In Synthroid many have been shown to react adversely to povidone and lactose. Milk allergies even mild ones can respond poorly to constant minute traces of lactose.. inspiring bloating and digestive ills. The cellulose in Levoxyl is just a binding agent and shouldn't interfere with things other than rate of absorption. Croscarmellose sodium toxicological properties have not been fully instigated. WOW! That is straight off an MSDS sheet. *Snort* I like the generic.. doesn't give me lactose issues and all the inert ingredients have been fully toxicologically profiled.

MG

Old 11-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MG, thanks for the load of info! now, question again: does the 50 Synthroid not have all that junk? reason: my holistic dr just called: spoke with my endo... refused Armour, sd, due to my antibodies etc armour makes some cases worse? thus, agreed to put me on 75 Synthroid and add 2- 5mg Cytomel a day. I explained my "issues" with the fillers and holistic dr said he's prescribing 1 1/2 50 mg Synthroid (no fillers?) and the cytomel in lieu of a straight 75 Synthroid, 2 cytomels. Does that sound good? I'll be a bit higher with meds due to the cytomel, but was on .88 and not hyper in 3's and 4's.
Kitty, I've read some "patient coments' on other boards that sd they too suffered horrid insomnia on Levoxyl, bloating seems to be a common thread with Synthroid, thus maybe the fillers??? But adding t3 now hoping that will jump start the abdominal issues? The dhea I'm taking is really helping fatigue and over sense of mental feelings!! no fillers in it! my dhea was only in the low 30's. Really wanted to try Armour, but maybe this regime will work and make the dr's happier, making me happy would be nice Time will tell?
Hysterectomy

Old 11-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Never mind.

Last edited by midwest1; 11-24-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: To maintain air of invisibility

Old 11-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

All Synthroid tablets have the inactive ingredients listed in my previous post. The only thing that changes is the dye. In the case of the 75 mcg tablets you have blue dye added. In other dosages you have yellow and red dyes or a combination of the dyes. The 50 mcg and 100 mcg synthroid tablets are dye free.

The antibody presence has no effect on what brand of thyroid medication you take. The antibody presence just identifies the source of your hypothyroidism and depending on the progression/phase you are in.. the fact that you may be fluxuating in your ability to produce thyroid hormone on your own. Because many with Hashimoto's have a partially functional thyroid for MANY years it is hard to regulate the dosage optimally. We have to monitor it frequently and adjust as needed until our thyroid is completely obliterated.

I think your Endo fears Armour. You are on Synthroid and Cytomel. This is a T4/T3 combination. Armour is just the natural T4/T3 counterpart. There is no difference in care or treatment. You set your dose and test and adjust by the Ft3 and Ft4 levels every 4-6 weeks. Same as with the Synthroid/Cytomel combination.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 11-24-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks so--much Mg for such a clear picture. It sure is amazing how we can get a variety of different symptoms with meds. Like for me, hydrocodone gives me energy, where others its sedating. I'd be satisfied with the ability to stay asleep and losing the bloating a big plus!!! Keeping my fingers crossed...
Hysterectomy

Old 11-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I find a big difference between different brands. Because i regulate myself I have found that when my TSH as low as yours I get constipated...when it goes up to 4.0 I have constant diarrhea so there is a fine line that I have to find. I had diarrhea for years and didn't know it was from the dosage of thryroid meds until I increased the dosage...it stopped the diarrhea which was such a blessing however now I am totally constipated so back to reducing thyroid med a little.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:44 AM   #10
(female)

Miracles70 HB User

I have been on Synthroid and Levoxyl and it did not work for me. My lab levels were normal but I felt like ****. I was always tired and I began getting palpitations (?). My pulse would go up to 154 for no reason and while I was sleeping. I had several test for my heart and everything came out normal. Then, I increased the levoxyl and my palpitations ceased and I felt better for awhile. Finally, a Doctor changed me to Armour thyroid and I felt great and after two years my TSH is low .09 and my T4 8.6 normal and T3 230, however I feel great. No palpitations. Then I changed Providers and he decided to reduce my Armour and I began getting palpitations again. Then after four months I couldn't take it anymore and I went back to my regular dose again and I feel much better.

Personally, I don't rely on these test as accurate. I think it's how you feel on these different meds.

Hope that helps?

Closed Thread