It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
(female)

vannasmoma HB User
Question? regarding levels when first diagnosed with Hypothyroidism

I have a general question for everyone who is Hypothyroid? At what levels...TPO AB, T4, T3 and TSH were you diagnosed as Hypothyroid and were put on hormone therapy? There seems to be such a broad spectrum of qualifying ranges that varies from Physician to Physician. I would truly appreciate anyone who could take a minute and write me back.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Re: Question? regarding levels when first diagnosed with Hypothyroidism

Hi Vann, welcome! The problem getting diagnosed is most md's only look at the "tsh" level and most thyroid symptoms "mimic" so many disorders. For me, my tsh was rarely tested and looking back at the past few yrs when it was tested it ran in the 3's. I was suffering horrid symptoms and not one dr suggested thyroid. The other tests, aren't usually run until they see a tsh abnormalty. This past Jan. I insisted on a complete lab workup from a shrink no less! refused psyche meds, I knew and know most "symptoms" are not in our heads! but will end up that way left untreated and giving "psyche" meds in themselves create a host of more dangerous issues. When I got my labs back in Jan. my tsh was 7.66, which finally got me noticed. My thyroid is totally destroyed by Hashimoto's disease. Thus, having had this for many many yrs untreated. I went to top notch drs and still never diagnosed and probably if not for my insistance would still be suffering. I'm very unhappy with the medical field and will continue my research for better health. I've rid all their happy pills, and am doing much better, with thyroid meds and dhea, its been a long road! I guess the best we can do is use the dr's for their ability to order testings- we must be our own advocates. If your levels are off find a doctor to treat you, good luck!!
Hysterectomy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
(female)

Bree 1905 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindspirit View Post
Hi Vann, welcome! The problem getting diagnosed is most md's only look at the "tsh" level and most thyroid symptoms "mimic" so many disorders. For me, my tsh was rarely tested and looking back at the past few yrs when it was tested it ran in the 3's. I was suffering horrid symptoms and not one dr suggested thyroid. The other tests, aren't usually run until they see a tsh abnormalty. This past Jan. I insisted on a complete lab workup from a shrink no less! refused psyche meds, I knew and know most "symptoms" are not in our heads! but will end up that way left untreated and giving "psyche" meds in themselves create a host of more dangerous issues. When I got my labs back in Jan. my tsh was 7.66, which finally got me noticed. My thyroid is totally destroyed by Hashimoto's disease. Thus, having had this for many many yrs untreated. I went to top notch drs and still never diagnosed and probably if not for my insistance would still be suffering. I'm very unhappy with the medical field and will continue my research for better health. I've rid all their happy pills, and am doing much better, with thyroid meds and dhea, its been a long road! I guess the best we can do is use the dr's for their ability to order testings- we must be our own advocates. If your levels are off find a doctor to treat you, good luck!!
Hi, I'm a first time poster, so please forgive me if I'm doing something wrong. It's taken a couple of hours before I figured this out.
I too am very fed up with the medical profession.
I've been taking Synthroid 0.1mg for quite a few years, when I went overactive this summer. My doctor took me down very slowly to 0.050mg when I then went overactive.
He then wanted me to take 0.050mg for four days and 0.075mg the other three days in the week.
I looked at my file when he was out of the room and my TSH level was 7.12 and I can't see how we will come up with a proper dosage like this. I've been feeling poorly so I tooks .075mg for five days first and then did as he requested. He wanted blood test in two months.
I went back in and told him I wanted to be tested and he said: "Oh, you want to run on the high side, then take .075mg and don't go for testing until 2 more weeks."
I'm wondering how often one should be tested when the numbers aren't right?
I'm so happy to find this board as I have nothing to compare with. Thank you in advance for reading.
Bree

Last edited by Bree 1905; 12-01-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
(female)

vannasmoma HB User

Thank you, did they do a TPO AB on you? if so, what was the level? I'm trying to figure this all out. How does the elevated Antibodies play into hypothyroidism? I know it is autoimmune, I know it is seemingly destroying my thyroid...but does the hormone replacement therapy halt that destruction? My TPO AB is 3021 which my Doctor seems to think is irrelevant.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Vann, your anti-bodies are very high! mine were 1300. My ultrasound looks like a white patch, my thyroid is all eaten up! I'm 52, not sure what the heck I can do to stop the progression?? but, I do take selenium and now on dhea, which is a great autoimmune proctector. I've got other issues going on, my kidney showed opacitiy and kinda worried...also have hurthle cells from my thyroid biopsy, which is of great concern. So, at this point, I'm taking my Synthroid, added cytomel- 10, and dhea feeling a bit better! I think its the dhea,as I was only 30 level on that one. Besides the skin disease I have, porokeratosis, I look pretty good for 52~!sleep is a constant battle...I've had 2 back surgeries and even with the pain, no meds! so, its possible to regain our lives back! My regime, no artificial meds! I take magnesium, vit., vit e, and green tea and no way will I ever take another anti d,,benzo type drug again! If I could sleep a full night that would make my day!
Hysterectomy

Old 12-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
(female)

vannasmoma HB User

I guess that is what is worrying me, why are my antibodies so high? My TSH is 2.27 at the time as my antibodies were drawn. I see that 2.27 is high by some standards and normal by others but the antibodies seem high on every range available. My Doctor continues to believe that they are not an issue as far as my thyroid is concerned. Just an evaluation tool..he claims. The high TPO AB merely means I have a issue going on with my thyroid but does not indicate a need for hormones. My confusion is 'why'? I feel extremely hypo...could that just be from the high TPO AB? I also wonder how long it takes for thyroid hormones to be removed from ones body? My Doctor wants me off thyroid hormones for 6 weeks then to have levels drawn...will my thyroid crash? or increase the production of hormones? or go back to the levels before the Synthroid? How come it takes 6 weeks? It is all so confusing...thanks to anyone for your input

Old 12-02-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Very high antibodies mean that your Hashi's is in an active state. I was also told that high antibodies don't necessarily mean anything as far as my thyroid function is concerned - well he was obviously wrong as kept on going even more HypoT.

So you have been on thyroid meds already? Was that TSH taken when on medication? - if that is the case your medication has been too low and it's no wonder if you're feeling HypoT. If you are taken off meds for 6 weeks you'll surely know how your thyroid works (or doesn't more likely) and you'll probably feel more HypoT after a while without meds - your thyroid does try to work but probably it won't be enough - the situation can be worse than when you were originally put on meds. Good thing is if your levels then show HypoT you should be put back on meds ASAP.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 12-02-2008 at 04:08 AM.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

High TPOAb and TGAb are the positive indicators for Hashimoto's thyroidits aka Autoimmune thyroiditis. This is a REAL thyroid issue and should be treated as such. It will not magically go away and as time goes by you will spiral more hypoT as mor of your thyroid is obliterated by your own immune systems antibodies,

Other than identifying Hashimoto's the antibody level can tell you HOW active Hashimoto's is and how aggressive your immune system is in pursuing the destruction of your thyroid. In your case your immune system is serious about obliterating your thyroid AS quickly as possible. TPOAb and TGAb also are know to interfere in TSH production. As a result your TSH may be artificiallys suppressed. You must get your FT3 and FT4 level and use them as the main guide in thyroid health.

Has your MD tested your Fts? If not I suspect you are dealing with an old school TSH watcher and need to do some MD shopping. IF YOUR FT3 AND FT4 levels are suboptimal/optimal on your thyroid meds.. DO NOT GO OFF OF THEM. Hashimoto's is best treated by supplementing thyroid demand with thyroid medication and taking Selenium. You also have to make sure you are optimal in Ferritin, B12, vit D levels as well. This MD would have gotten my MDum boot.

MG

OH the 6 weeks.. it doesn't take six weeks for your Ft3 and Ft4 levels to hit equilibrium, it takes only two weeks. It takes 6-8 weeks for your TSH to catch up with a medication change. Your body will determine if a dose change causes it to be hypothyroid/hyperthyroid in approximately 4 weeks. The MD is using the 6 weeks because he is watching your TSH.

Last edited by mkgbrook; 12-02-2008 at 06:36 AM.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
(female)

vannasmoma HB User

No, I was not on any meds when the blood was drawn. I have decided to finish up the Synthroid that I have and then wait the 6 weeks to have another test done. It isn't like I have many options at this point anyway. He will not give me the script for the Synthroid until he sees higher levels in my TSH. I just hate the idea of sleeping my Holiday season away gaining 50 pounds and being so mentally foggy. It will be 'interesting' to see where my levels are after the 6 weeks.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
(female)

vannasmoma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
High TPOAb and TGAb are the positive indicators for Hashimoto's thyroidits aka Autoimmune thyroiditis. This is a REAL thyroid issue and should be treated as such. It will not magically go away and as time goes by you will spiral more hypoT as mor of your thyroid is obliterated by your own immune systems antibodies,

Other than identifying Hashimoto's the antibody level can tell you HOW active Hashimoto's is and how aggressive your immune system is in pursuing the destruction of your thyroid. In your case your immune system is serious about obliterating your thyroid AS quickly as possible. TPOAb and TGAb also are know to interfere in TSH production. As a result your TSH may be artificiallys suppressed. You must get your FT3 and FT4 level and use them as the main guide in thyroid health.

Has your MD tested your Fts? If not I suspect you are dealing with an old school TSH watcher and need to do some MD shopping. IF YOUR FT3 AND FT4 levels are suboptimal/optimal on your thyroid meds.. DO NOT GO OFF OF THEM. Hashimoto's is best treated by supplementing thyroid demand with thyroid medication and taking Selenium. You also have to make sure you are optimal in Ferritin, B12, vit D levels as well. This MD would have gotten my MDum boot.

MG

OH the 6 weeks.. it doesn't take six weeks for your Ft3 and Ft4 levels to hit equilibrium, it takes only two weeks. It takes 6-8 weeks for your TSH to catch up with a medication change. Your body will determine if a dose change causes it to be hypothyroid/hyperthyroid in approximately 4 weeks. The MD is using the 6 weeks because he is watching your TSH.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
(female)

vannasmoma HB User

I waited the requested time and have now had my new values drawn. My TSH is 3.74 and my T3 is 129...any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannasmoma View Post
My TSH is 3.74
Your TSH is too high. You need to be put back on meds.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
(female)

vannasmoma HB User

My Doctor just called and 'claims' my lab values are 'normal" at 3.74! She said she will not give me my prescription until it is over 4.0 and insists I do nothing and re-test in 8 more weeks to see if it increases. I mentioned how hypo I feel and she insisted the side effects of taking medication at 3.74 would be far worse than how I feel at the moment. Frustrated!! I would appreciate any input that may help 'enlighten' my Physician.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Arrgghhh Doesn't she know that healthy people usually have their TSH under 2,5 (guess not ) Could you possibly get a second opinion?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your TSH could well be over 4 tomorrow morning. There is literally no difference between 3.74 and 4. Find a better doctor! That one is a thyroid quack.

Closed Thread