It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
(female)

dsanto3 HB User
iodine

Hi everyone,

Just wondering...is there a specific test for iodine deficiency? I would also like to know if you are low, how do you supplement it? I have liquid iodine, do I paint that on or is it better to take supplements?

One other thing...if you supplement with iodine, do you have to worry about it kicking your thyroid into gear and getting hyper symptoms?

Thanks,

D

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2008, 03:05 AM   #2
(female)

Marymartha50 HB User
Re: iodine

Look up iodoral on the internet. i found it at my local health food store and m taking the lowest doseage, 5 mg. daily. I've only taken it for two days and feel much better, more energy, some back pain gone. Its very interesting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I've read that too little or too much iodine can cause problems. Best to talk with a Endo before going that route. There is at least one post talking about a test for iodine. Fam

Old 12-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I have Hashimoto's and low iodine, Vit D and ferretin. I'm supplementing all of them.

My treating doctor did a 24 hr urine test. I had to empty my bladder early in the morning, then drink an iodine solution my doctor gave me. Every time after that, right up till the following morning i had to pee in a plastic container and transfer it to a big plastic bottle i was given. After the following mornings final pee i had to take this big bottle to the pathology.

On getting my results i was told how much iodine my body had lost in a 24 hr period, from this my doctor could assess how much iodine to supplement me with.

I would not mess about with iodine. As the previous poster said, too little or too much can have the same consequences. You need to be tested first to see whether you are actually low in iodine.

Last edited by Audrey-B; 12-07-2008 at 09:30 PM.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:47 AM   #5
(female)

alikat709 HB User

about the iodine, I just wanted to say that your doc is a keeper if he even thought to test you for the iodine deficiency,as I know most don't.
I asked my doc to test me and he simply said that my goiter was not caused from an iodine deficiency because " I didn't live in the goiter belt"so I supplement anyway, with lugols solution and I am currently taking 50mg,I feel much better than I ever did. I am still only on 2 1/4 grains of armour and I know I need more, he is just really really slow at upping the dose.
He does know that I am taking the lugols solution since it was written on the list I gave him with the supplements that I take, he did say I didn't need it ,but I told him that when I stop taking it ,My heart palps come back.I have been taking it now for 5 months, I no longer have sore ,tender breast like I did, and I no longer have pelvic pain from my ovarian cyst. Also I have noticed that my double vision has improved with the iodine too.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi alikat, yes i know my doctor is a keeper. I've already told him he's not winning the lottery and ever moving away

I've read of people who have gone to homeopaths and naturopaths and they've advised them to take iodine. not sure what tests were done. Best test is a basic urine test through your lab. It's simple, pee in the container and give it to them. Blood tests are not as accurate, so my doctor says.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
(female)

lfarquhar HB User

My Dr. ( integrated medicine-MD and holistic medicine) gave me two tests to prove low iodine. You can find both the test of the internet if your Dr. will not give them to you.

The first one was drawing a 2 inch square with colored iodine on the inside of your underarm. You need to record when it starts to disappear and when it is gone.

The other is taking your tempertature, while in the bed, before rising in the morning and recording on a chart. You can find the chart on the internet.

I love my integrated medical Dr. He does not believe in giving drugs just to cover up the problem, he believes in finding out what is causing the problem and eliminating the cause!

SF

Old 01-06-2009, 04:50 AM   #8
(female)

alikat709 HB User

I just have to add one more thing to my list of what iodine has helped
I havent't had a normal monthly cycle since october 2007, I started iodine in july, 12mg and had worked my way up to 50 mg per day. I am still not normal in my thyroid levels but for the first time since oct 2007, I only had one period this month. I also have more energy while taking it.
I have talked to a few peole that have hashi's and they have seen there antibody levels go from 2000 down to 200 within a few months of supplementing, so I believe that Dr. Brownstein is right in his findings that it helps with hashi's and also graves. I would also recommend asking your doctor to test to make sure you are low before starting. I didn't have the doc working with me on this so I took a risk and it did pay off for my benefit luckily. It would be nice if doctors would implement iodine testing as routine since the bakers have taken it out of breads, and our soil is not as high in iodine as it used to be, also bromine is being used in our foods and that displaces iodine in our bodies.
kathy

Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm actually doing another 24 hour iodine load test. It's a bit of a nuisance as you can't go far from home. I didn't go to work either as i doubt people at work would like a big bottle of pee sitting in the kitchen fridge..... more so if someone mistakes it for apple juice

I did one of these tests last year before starting iodine supplementation, but now my doctor believes i might not be getting enough iodine. He said something about my T4 and T3 and believing the extra iodine would assist, along with the other things i'm taking, in getting me where i'm supposed to be.

I haven't particularly noticed a difference since starting iodine since about middle of 2008, but it's hard when i'm taking a variety of things and have a variety of issues to pinpoint particular differences and attribute them to one particular supplement.

I wish all doctors had a list of mandatory things to test when it comes to thyroids.

I found the test where you put the iodine on your skin etc etc very interesting. I've not heard of that before.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #10
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
I'm actually doing another 24 hour iodine load test. It's a bit of a nuisance as you can't go far from home. I didn't go to work either as i doubt people at work would like a big bottle of pee sitting in the kitchen fridge..... more so if someone mistakes it for apple juice
Hey, Audrey, I gonna to have the 24 hour iodine loading test, too. but is it true that every hypo will get the iodine deficiency results? Some others recommend to lower the intake of iodine. Another information I have read about is in a nutriology book, it said that the urine iodine tests will reveal the iodine deficiency (without particularly pinpoint to thyroid disorders patients).

I am in a dilemma for supplementing iodine or not becuz multi-vitamins have always 100% RDA of iodine in it.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

The 24hr iodine load test checks via your 24 hrs worth of urine how much iodine your body has absorbed. The more your body absorbs the more deficient you are. That's all the test is as far as i'm aware. It's not a test to determine whether you are hypo or anything else.

There are people who are hypo and need to reduce iodine as they have too much in their system, but there are those who aren't getting enough iodine and persistent symptoms, after thyroid medication, can mean that you have insufficient daily iodine.

I'd never self supplement iodine without a doctor running a test. I know iodine blood tests aren't true, the best is either a urine test or the 24 hour load test or their might be other forms of testing.

I think i said before, this is the 2nd time i'm doing the load test as my doctor feels my iodine could still be low. I go back to see him thursday of next week so should get my results for the iodine load test.

With the multivitamins, they do have a little of everything in them, but i feel they cater more for those who are a "little run down" rather than for people with more serious issues. I don't use multivitamins anymore. I buy only what i need in seperate containers and supplement as is required for my personal situation. For instance, if your body is not absorbing a certain nutrient for whatever reason, you might need more of one or more things than is actually supplied in a multivitamin.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
(female)

KellyABC HB User

You can buy kelp supplements, which is rich in natural iodine. They are extremely cheap and easy to find.

I agree with the advice about finding out whether you are iodine deficient before supplementing it.

Last edited by KellyABC; 01-13-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:45 PM   #13
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Talking Re: iodine

Thank you very much, Audery, for your detailed explanation.

I almost envy that you have a very good doctor that knows a lot nutriology and endocrinology.

KellyABC, I have a question about Canadian doctors. Have you found a good doctor who takes care of patients in Canada? If there is any, pls let me know.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #14
(female)

KellyABC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejenny77 View Post
KellyABC, I have a question about Canadian doctors. Have you found a good doctor who takes care of patients in Canada? If there is any, pls let me know.
I'm not sure if Canada is any better than the US, in fact it may be worse , but I was lucky to eventually find a family physician who would listen to me. Here's how I did it....

I went to several doctors complaining of every hypo symptom in the book, including hair loss, weight gain, debilitating fatigue, severe cold intolerence, cold extremities, constipation, joint and hip pain, mood changes, and lastly and the most painful, infertility. I would give them a copy of the list and ask them to put it in my file for record. They all looked at my TSH levels and said the typical response "you are in the normal range", why don't you try an antidepressant. I knew it was my thyroid and not something mental. I had a marked physical and mental decline. I was at my wits end.

The good thing about Canada, as you know, is that we don't pay for doctors visits, so I wanted to use this to my advantage. I resigned myself to the fact that I would see every doctor in this province (NS) if I had to, to get someone to listen, even if I spent the next several years doing it lol. I got mad and determined haha. Every single doctor I saw only wanted to test TSH. They weren't interested in antibodies, free T3 or T4. I always had to practically beg for these to be done.

I was determined not to give up and I just kept making appointment after appointment with doctors and giving them a list of my symptoms and basically begging them for help. I even started gathering the information from the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists stating that a TSH over 3in a symptomatic patient should be treated. No one would listen and in fact I think they were resentful that I was presenting information from another country and not Canada. I was beginning to lose hope.

I had watched my TSH go from 1 up to 4.5 (in a year). Although this is still low-grade hypothyroidism and some have much greater levels, I literally had every symptom in the book and was considering how I was going to live feeling the way I did.

The fact that this was affecting my quality of life and possibly my infertility was making me very angry at the medical system, considering at this point, I was in a TSH range over 3. One doctor I presented the information to about the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists saying TSH over 3 could be treated, looked at me like I had two heads like I had been making up the information. He completely brushed me off, and I just ticked him off my list and thought to myself "next doctor please." LOL.

So, my last and final doctor was the winner *bing bing bing*. I told her of all my symptoms, wrote them all in a list to put in my file, told her of my infertility. She saw my TSH of 4.5 and had actually read the information I gave her regarding the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and believed me!!! She gave me a prescription for Synthroid and I'm now in my 3rd+ month of treatment and feeling much better.

Sorry about the rant but it feels good to get it out LOL. The lesson I learned though was to keep going and keep getting my levels tested, then go to doctor after doctor until you find a keeper! Don't give up, especially if it's a case where your levels are high enough to treat but they are refusing to treat you. I think you will eventually find a doctor who is open to some information on the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists' advice, like my doctor was.

There is also a naturopathic herbal remedy called ThyroSense, which a naturopathic doctor recommended to me. I haven't tried it yet, as I wanted to use the Synthroid first.

Last edited by KellyABC; 01-14-2009 at 07:30 AM.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Yes.

You can test your urine for iodine levels.

You supplement with oral medication, or dietary adjustment like increased iodized salt intake.

YES too much iodine can cause a thyroid flare or small thyroid storm. Adding iodine with out determining if you are deficient first is a bad idea.

MG

Closed Thread