It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
(male)

mole76 HB User
Hashimoto's and Tonsil Stones

I was wondering if anyone knows if there could be a link between Hashi's and Tonsil Stones? The reason I ask is because ever since I have had thyroid problems I have developed them, along with a nasty taste in the back of my throat. The last time I was at the Endo I told him about the tonsil stones and after that he told me to get a CT of my thyroid.
It may make sense, tonsil stones can be dead white blood cells possibly caused by the auto-immune disorder? Either way something is causing them and the gross phlegm in my throat. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
(female)

mattie75 HB User
Re: Hashimoto's and Tonsil Stones

Hey
I too am having problems with salivary stones and nasty taste, Dr. suggested Sjogren's and I have had tests but they keep coming back negative. All I have is raging thyroid antibodies.
Mattie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I had tonsil stones and they were the result of constant drainage and enlarged tonsils. Now the tonsil enlargement and size was due to constant AI allergic response. My tonsils and adenoids were the size of a 12 year olds when at 33 they should have been well on the road to atropheed. The cure is a tonsillectomy. Hashimoto's does make you more susceptable to having allergies or amplifying your allergic responses.. it does cause an increased occurance of Gerd and sinus ills when you are hypothyroid or subclinical hypothyroid... BUT tonsil stones are a side effect of a symptom set of Hashimoto's. Thus in summary Hashimoto's doesn't cause tonsil stones, it predisposes you to conditions that make tonsil stone formation more favorable.

MG

Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
(female)

mattie75 HB User

At my last visit to the rhemy she said it is hard to tell what came first the chicken (Hashi's) or the egg (Sjogren's/swollen salivary gland). But I can tell when my thyroid antibodies are raging from the swelling in the salivary glands and painful swollen thyroid. My TSH is rising again, but only to a little less than 2. But my antibodies are around 800 and I feel like I need to plan my funeral.

Mattie

Old 12-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
(male)

mole76 HB User

So basically you are saying that I will have to deal with this or get my tonsils removed? What bothers me more is the nasty acidic taste that is always in my throat, and the mucous it causes...the tonsil stones kinda just come up unexpectedly rather often. I have to get a CT scan of my thyroid, could thyroid nodules effect you? Either way I am going back to the Gastro, even though I know the routine...scope here and scope there! Thanks for your help!

Old 12-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Yes the only cure for tonsil stones is a tonsillectomy. By removing my tonsils and my sons and my moms and my dads and my brothers and.. I will stop there.. we had better sleep patterns and reduced the severity of our sleep apnea.. we no longer got chronic sore throats.. no longer had tonsillitis reoccuring.. no more strep.. humm lower sinus infection occurance rate.. snoring improved in the guys.. AND no more choking on my food when my tonsils swelled for other reasons... bad breathe went away.. Ear issues improved as well.

All in all it is a painful 2-4 weeks for an adult.. LIQUID lortab is your salvation.. but after that you feel so much better. I am not saying go and get them hacked out, but you might want to consult with a good ENT on what they recommend and what you can do about it. The ENT specializes in those pesky tonsils. When mine were hacked out the found them full of antibiotic resistant goo. I got pictures.. gross, but cool. They suspect my chronic reoccuring infections may have been continually respond by my infected tonsils. You never know what you will find until you look around the corner or open that door.

MG

Closed Thread