It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
(female)

maggie056 HB User
Adrenal Fatigue/Hyper Adrenals?

Hi,

I have been suffering from what I thought was Adrenal Fatigue for many years. Last spring I had a hair analysis done and the results showed almost non-existent levels of Sodium and Potassium and all other electrolytes were generally on the low side. This seemed to confirm my thoughts of Adrenal Fatigue and I started adding additional salt to my diet (approx ˝ to 1tsp in V8 juice in the mornings), adrenal glandular and all the recommended vitamins and was feeling pretty darn good!

Well, this last year has been one dramatic event after another, from job changes, relationship changes, buying a home and moving, being sick a couple of times etc. The last two months I have had to increase my salt intake dramatically (approx 2-4 tsp) and increased my glandular intake dramatically also to about 2-3x the recommended dosage. I assumed I was just dealing with all the stress. Within the last few weeks though, I started getting really cold, shaky, weak and extremely “jittery’ or anxious. Following that, I would get extreme nausea. It is getting so bad that I am barely able to make it through a day of work. I also wake up a lot during the night.

I had some blood work done:

Cortisol: 986 (119-618 range)
Sodium: 139 (137-145 range)
Potassium: 4.3 (3.5-5.0 range)
ACTH: 8 (anything less than 11 is considered normal)

Supposedly my thyroid is normal, iron is normal, and all other electrolytes in general are normal.

My ND is suggesting that I have hyper adrenals instead of adrenal fatigue. He thinks this because any support that I take for adrenal fatigue (adaptogens, adrenal cortex supplements etc) only seem to make my jitteries worse. He is recommending that I get some more testing done and has given me calming herbs.

My MD believes the high cortisol is from the stress and that I should supplement with general adrenal fatigue supplements (which is not working) and just relax.

So my questions:

Could this be cause by the stress? Could I have overdosed on glandulars, which, with the combination of stress, sent my adrenals into overdrive? I have been off of any adrenal glandulars for a week now with no change.

Can you just move from adrenal fatigue to hyper adrenals like that?

Possibly I am taking too much salt? Too little salt?

Any thoughts on how to lower my cortisol, as I assume that is what is making me so jittery and nauseas, would be greatly appreciated. It is extremely uncomfortable!

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread