It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Sustained release T3

Has anyone here used sustained release T3? Or, do you know anything about it?
I have hashi's and despite 2 yrs. treatment with synthroid , do not feel right. Also my t3 level is usually at the low end maybe at 20%, and my t4 is somewhat higher at about 35% or so. Well, the more I read here and also in THE THYROID SOLUTION by Arem maybe my problem lies in t4 conversion.
Others here have said take t3 and I tried it-but I cannot tolerate cytomel. So, I just trudged on. Dr. Arem talks about sustained release t3, so today I called his office to find out where he gets it from. I then called the compounding pharmacy and learned quite a bit.
My endo will order this for me.... I think. When I mentioned sustained release she felt it was hard to count on the compounding pharmacy --but this one does all of Dr. Arem's patients . The pharmacist said generally the dose starts at 3mcg but they could do lower to step me in slowly, like starting out at 1mcg.Also he mentioned to aid in conversion I should--
be sure to take selenium which I am doing
and, take zinc
I just started zinc in the past week.
Any thoughts on the sustained release?? I know others on this board could not tolerate cytomel, like me.

Last edited by osteoblast; 12-05-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
(female)

mskmal HB User
Re: Sustained release T3

Do you live in Houston or are they going to ship it? Did you choose this pharmacy just because this particulare doctor uses it? I use this pharmacy and he started me out on 4 mcgs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Thank you for responding about the slow release t3. I am getting a bit desperate to feel better and want to try to get my t3 level up .Please if you would , could you tell me how the slow release t3 has worked for you? Did you get any feeling of racing heart or anxiety from it? Do you take it just one time in the morning with your t4 ? Had you previously just been on a t4 and that didn't work for you?
No I do not live in TX. As I said I have reached a point where I really need to try something else to feel better.

Last edited by osteoblast; 12-06-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
(female)

mskmal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
Thank you for responding about the slow release t3. I am getting a bit desperate to feel better and want to try to get my t3 level up .Please if you would , could you tell me how the slow release t3 has worked for you? Did you get any feeling of racing heart or anxiety from it? Do you take it just one time in the morning with your t4 ? Had you previously just been on a t4 and that didn't work for you?
No I do not live in TX. As I said I have reached a point where I really need to try something else to feel better.
Your welcome. I understand fully you being desperate as I am as well. Since it is a small dose, I can only tell you that if lifted mild depresion, and my skin has become moist again. no racing heart or anxiety. doc believes in starting out slowly. Yes, I take it with my T4 at the same time. Yes, I was just on T4 alone before he added in this. As I read read read, everyone is so different. I don't know how I would react if he bumped it up. As far as energy, I see none, but then again, I have adrenal insuffiency. I did try Armour for about two weeks, but that was before I was put on enough HC. I like Armour.
The reason why I asked you if you lived in Houston, is because you said you were using that compounded pharmacy. Unless I read that wrong. Someone told me the compounded meds are only as good as the pharmacist. At this point, I would hate to be taken off of it.

I see a new doctor this week, and my T3 is a little high, and I'm afraid she is going to take me off of it. I can't handle that. The lift in depression is well worth it. And not wanting to bathe directly in olive oil.. It took 3 weeks to kick in for me. And I noticed it right away. How many mgs. of cytomel were you on? It is directed to take it one time because it IS timed released. Do you have mild depression or very dry skin? Did the cytomel help with that?
But I messed my dose up because I upped my T4 a little during the eight week wait. I am all messed up now. T3 still working though. It is good that your doctor is willing to do this, and that you mentioned she would even start you out less than 4 mcgs.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Mskmal-thanks again for your response. That is great to hear that the t3 lifted your depression and helped your skin. I wasn't clear what you said about helping your skin--how long did it take? When you started the t3, did the dr. decrease your dose of t4--if so by how much?
With the cytomel I was scripted a 5mcg. I cut it into 4 parts-took 1 part ea. day for 3 days and had to stop. I couldn't take it--too stimulating!This is why -I need to get on the slow release.
About theTX compounding pharmacy-I wanted to get the compounded sustained release from the pharmacy Dr. Arem uses. Now getting my Endo to agree to script from them-well I am not sure she will .Last time I raised the sustained release t3-she said something about unreliability of compounding pharmacies and I just backed off. But, I have to go back at this cause I really want to feel better--not just for myself but for my dh as well. He has been very understanding and supportive -sometimes I ask him to read messages here-and that has helped him understand alot! But we need to get out of this rut!
I read about your dosing issues on your thread. I sure hope it all works out for you soon. How long have you been tinkering with dosage?

Old 12-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
(female)

mskmal HB User

Quote:
Mskmal-thanks again for your response. That is great to hear that the t3 lifted your depression and helped your skin. I wasn't clear what you said about helping your skin--how long did it take? When you started the t3, did the dr. decrease your dose of t4--if so by how much?
With the cytomel I was scripted a 5mcg. I cut it into 4 parts-took 1 part ea. day for 3 days and had to stop. I couldn't take it--too stimulating!This is why -I need to get on the slow release.
About theTX compounding pharmacy-I wanted to get the compounded sustained release from the pharmacy Dr. Arem uses. Now getting my Endo to agree to script from them-well I am not sure she will .Last time I raised the sustained release t3-she said something about unreliability of compounding pharmacies and I just backed off. But, I have to go back at this cause I really want to feel better--not just for myself but for my dh as well. He has been very understanding and supportive -sometimes I ask him to read messages here-and that has helped him understand alot! But we need to get out of this rut!
I read about your dosing issues on your thread. I sure hope it all works out for you soon. How long have you been tinkering with dosage?
You are most welcome again. I noticed about 3 weeks about my skin. I was alligator skin and going NUTSO. LOL. Then one day I got into the shower and BOOM I felt something different. Then I put my lotion on and I knew it had kicked in.
Yes he decreased my T4 from 175 to 112. OUCH.. Then after 4 wks. I could not handle that, so I upped it to 144. OUCH again. My T4 has never been this high. This is my very first time tinkering with dosage. I switched dosages at the first of the 5th week. I messed up.
I so understand this. You are lucky you have support, I don't. My ten yr. old son is my support. Nobody understands unless they have it.
BUT I needed a second opinion on my pituitary which is an endo of course so I go on Thursday.
I have an anxiety disorder, so if I can handle this small amount of T3, I think and hope you can. I hope your doctor agrees with you. If she takes away my T3, OH NO. then I will have to go back to the other doctor and he will boot me out or make me cry. I am so confused. and scared.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

msk-Sorry to hear that you too are plagued with anxiety. Well good to hear though that the 4mcg of t3 did not kick you into worse anxiety -that is excellent. So, maybe there is some hope for me to take the sustained release t3 without going into high anxiety. I have my fingers crossed that this will be the key to my feeling better.
Could I ask you why the doc put you on the t3--were your free t3 readings always lower than t4?
Seems we have some of the same issues going on. But the whole pituatary aspect is something I do not understand at all. I hope for you that your appt. goes well this wk. Please don't stress too much on it.
I wondered why you thought that you were going to the same pharmacy that I would hopefully be ordering from in TX? Did they tell you that they did the t3 for Dr. Arem?
Sorry to hear not much in the way of support for you-but you do have us here. For sure this is beyond what a 10yr. old can handle.
I hope that you will get your dose and situation straightened out soon so that you will feel better for yourself and your child!

Last edited by osteoblast; 12-07-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
(female)

mskmal HB User

Quote:
msk-Sorry to hear that you too are plagued with anxiety. Well good to hear though that the 4mcg of t3 did not kick you into worse anxiety -that is excellent. So, maybe there is some hope for me to take the sustained release t3 without going into high anxiety. I have my fingers crossed that this will be the key to my feeling better.
Could I ask you why the doc put you on the t3--were your free t3 readings always lower than t4?
Seems we have some of the same issues going on. But the whole pituatary aspect is something I do not understand at all. I hope for you that your appt. goes well this wk. Please don't stress too much on it.
I wondered why you thought that you were going to the same pharmacy that I would hopefully be ordering from in TX? Did they tell you that they did the t3 for Dr. Arem?
Sorry to hear not much in the way of support for you-but you do have us here. For sure this is beyond what a 10yr. old can handle.
I hope that you will get your dose and situation straightened out soon so that you will feel better for yourself and your child!
osteo,
So many board have different rules. I can't keep up... Am I allowed to talk about a doctor in general on this board.. Do you know?

Closed Thread