It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
(female)

karen82 HB User
Lightbulb Thyroid diagnosis because of foot pain?

My feet were hurting so bad after I had been sitting for a while then got up to walk. Terrible pain for a few steps. I went to the doctor. He said he needed to check my thyroid levels because of the foot pain. Sure enough, hypothyroidism. With all my symptoms, I assumed I would be hyperthyroidism. No. Symptoms were insomnia, weight gain, hyperactivity and a host of others. I am now on Levothyroxi something. (50)? Waiting till January for the next blood test. Foot pain is still there just not everyday now. Still hyper on and off. Not all day everyday. Insomnia is gone,. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful from the veterans in the bunch. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
(female)

PandaBear777 HB User
Re: Thyroid diagnosis because of foot pain?

I can relate. I went to the doctor complaining of migraine. He thought sinus infection and was checking the glands in my throat when he stepped back and looked at me and paused. He actually asked me if I knew I had a nodule on my thyroid. Blood work and sono later and I found these boards.

I'm new like you, but I found the relationship to my sore feet on this board. I had attributed the swelling and stiffness to too much time working on concrete. I've been amazed at all the things that relate to your thyroid. Found out too that many symptoms can be common to both hypoT and hyperT.

Keep reading the threads, they've taught me a lot. I'm sure some of the more senior members will respond soon and give you more feedback. They'll be asking about your blood work too - levels and ranges.

Wishing you the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
(female)

Amyk9595 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen82 View Post
My feet were hurting so bad after I had been sitting for a while then got up to walk. Terrible pain for a few steps. I went to the doctor. He said he needed to check my thyroid levels because of the foot pain. Sure enough, hypothyroidism. With all my symptoms, I assumed I would be hyperthyroidism. No. Symptoms were insomnia, weight gain, hyperactivity and a host of others. I am now on Levothyroxi something. (50)? Waiting till January for the next blood test. Foot pain is still there just not everyday now. Still hyper on and off. Not all day everyday. Insomnia is gone,. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful from the veterans in the bunch. Thanks.
Did they check your thyroid antibodies? If you have something they call Hashimoto disease, it causes your thyroid to work sometimes, then not work so good. When you are on thyroid replacement, sometimes when your thyroid is working better, then you become hyperthyroid. Please have your doc check your thyroid antibodies.

I have extreme foot pain too. I am in the middle of finding out what is wrong - but they suspect Hashimoto. I have an enlarged thyroid - and just had a thyroid ultrasound and the sonographer said the thyroid had a Hashimoto-like appearance. I will try to keep you informed of what I find out after my next Fri.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Get checked for Hashimoto's as the SOURCE of your hypothyroidism. If you have Hashimoto's you are at a higher risk for R. Arthritis and much more.

You need to also check for hypoT induced malabsorption issues. You need to know your Ferritin, B12, vit D, and magnesium levels. Many of us are low in some of them and benefit from a good vitamin and mineral supplement regime. DO not supplement with out determining the need for supplementation.

MG

Old 12-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
(female)

Amyk9595 HB User

I was low in Vitamin D, but B12 level was within the normal range. They did not check the others. I am considering going to a Naturopath to seek further advice. Many physicians want to just throw drugs at you or just think you're crazy. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto - and the doc put me on 75 mg Synthroid daily. Feeling a little better - but feet are still an issue. My RA factor was 50.6 - so I am concerned about that for sure. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:51 AM   #6
(female)

PandaBear777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyk9595 View Post
Did they check your thyroid antibodies? If you have something they call Hashimoto disease, it causes your thyroid to work sometimes, then not work so good. When you are on thyroid replacement, sometimes when your thyroid is working better, then you become hyperthyroid. Please have your doc check your thyroid antibodies.

I have extreme foot pain too. I am in the middle of finding out what is wrong - but they suspect Hashimoto. I have an enlarged thyroid - and just had a thyroid ultrasound and the sonographer said the thyroid had a Hashimoto-like appearance. I will try to keep you informed of what I find out after my next Fri.
Oh Yeah! I am definitely Hashimoto's. My TPOAb is through the roof (2570). Foot pain YES! and now starting back pain too. My thyroid is enlarged on the right side and have a nodule on the left. The endo did a calcitonin test for medullary cancer - test came back OK. We're going to monitor the nodule for growth the endo thinks it's just swollen.

The endo I'm seeing has lots of experience and a good resume. She seems to be listening but like most docs she thinks she knows it all - so still having to coax her into some blood work. If I ask for a test she'll usually do it or explain why she thinks another test would be more effective in my case. And I've always taken vitamins and am adjusting those for this, so far the endo has been agreeable to all this.

I'm still figuring all this out.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Yep, me too. Mine is better, took a long time but that's one symptom that seems to be helped. I'm hypo/hashi's, took many months to resolve. Once in awhile my heel pain starts up, due to flucuations. Another symptom I've noticed lately, I'm not coughing up phlem as much, clearing my throat etc. I've been on meds since last Jan., looks like it takes time to resolve our symptoms.
Hysterectomy

Old 12-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
(female)

Amyk9595 HB User

Well - that'e encouraging and really gives me some hope. Thanks!

Closed Thread