It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Pssd!!!!!!!!! elderly dads' medical records

I've been going thru my dads' old medical records, found he was on Levo. 150mcg back in 2005 and somewhere records got messed up, he has not been on meds since! I insisted on "testing" a few months ago for him, due to my hashi's etc and his "new" doctor told me, " if he had a thyroid issue it would have been detected by now at his age, 85. Well, they ckd and his levels were over 75 tsh! and antibodies high too. He is now on meds, low, but wondering what this time lapse could have meant to alot of his current issues: diabetic, strokes etc etc??? I'm so ticked right now, left a message with his current dr and not sure how to proceed with this? Boy, this just re-confirms my "issues" with healthcare! I've also had many many mis-diagnosis in my life! how does one tackle the healthcare system? This would never had been noticed if not for my brothers' moving, I've acquired the family documents, sifting through things... What do you think a lapse like this could have done?
Hysterectomy

The following user gives a hug of support to kindspirit:
Eagle (09-13-2011)
Old 12-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Pssd!!!!!!!!! elderly dads' medical records

I know my mom's memory and attention span suffered greatly trying to get MDs just to treat her as having a thyroid issue after her partial thyroidectomy information and records were lost.

The best thing we can do is get copies of all our MDs notes and labs and keep our own file. This serves in two ways. One you can take your information with you on trips. Secondly if the MDs office messes up you have a hardcopy back up.

Untreated hypothyroidism can cause many things heart and stroke are just a few of the issues. There have been many statistical studies that have shown that a misdiagnosis of early onset maternal demensia and alzheimers have been placed on severely hypothyroid patients. SO WHY don't they run the TSH and FT4 when it is a simple blood test.

I hate that this happened to you. But hopefully with what you have learned and know you can fight for your father and get him returned to state you remember. Good luck and my best wishes are with you and yours.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Kindspirit i know exactly where you are at!!

Plain and simple.......... the medical system on average doesn't care or doesn't have time...... it's rare to find a doctor who cares or has an interest. I'm at that stage now with my own father. He will be 70 next year. Some years back he was told his thyroid was enlarged and they left it at that. The only tests his doctors appear to have done are TSH.

I've put all my own test results into plastic sleaves in date order into a folder. I'm going to do the same with my dads results. he's giving them all to me to do what i want as he simply feels he's getting old and it's part of old age. I'm trying to tell him that if you get on the right meds and get the right diagnosis you can actually feel somewhat better if not 100% better. Sometimes old people can be stubborn. He is coming around to my way of thinking or maybe i've simply worn him down and he's giving in

Now with me being diagnosed this year with Hashi's and a number of other family members on my dad's side having thyroid issues, i decided to take the reins with his medical tests. I wrote a nice letter to my mother's doctor and sent dad to him. I wasn't there at the time, but the dr told my dad that he'd do the tests i requested. He only did TSH and Thyroid Antibodies plus the B12 and a number of other unrelated things. Why did this dr bother doing TSH and antibodies, but not the T4 and T3, especially as i told him thyroid disorders run in dads family. I also requested he check my dads adrenals, but he didn't. i then went with him for his next appointment, took a day off work too, only to find out there was no adrenal, and no anything else.

To humour me the dr then said sure he'd run an adrenal test. It was only when we left the clinic that i noticed he'd omitted a heap of other stuff on the test results, so i sent dad back on another day to demand those other things. He did end up having low cortisol levels. Now the dr has given him a prescription for a mood lifting drug called Valpro which was once used for epileptics and nowhere on any research can i find it having anything to do with cortisol/adrenals. So that's where i'm at with my own father, navigating through tests and doing research so this doctor doesn't give him some drug which is useless, thereby wasting more time. My dad hasn't been the best for years and it's only now he tells me he has same symptoms as me. I'm hoping it's just his adrenals and not the thyroid.

Hoping you get your dad onto the right meds. He's fortunate he has you to look out for him

Old 12-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Well i'm glad i pushed and pushed for ALL the required testing. I received the rest of my dad's test results in the post and even the lab has highlighted his thyroid results and say it's conclusive with Hyperthyroid. Can you believe his doctor told him all was fine!!
When the lab actually believes you have a thyroid issue then something is definitely not right. I'll take his test results to my own doctor when i go to get my recheck test results for my thyroid today.

Closed Thread