It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
(male)

Baseball06 HB User
T3 and it's effect on Well Being

Sorry to be writing so much on here, but I am curious and need some help. I was wondering if anyone has added the T3 to their regimen and how it has worked.
I asked my Endo about T3 and he told me that I need to stop blaming my fatigue/depression and brain fog on the thyroid and look for another reason that might be causing that. He tried telling me that it could be that I have over worked my body from athletics and that is causing this. I about started laughing in his face if I had enough energy.
Anyway, Ill cut to the chase. I just want to know if anyone has had normal test levels with the Synthroid and didn't feel right and then tried an alternative treatment and felt normal again. Basically what I am asking is if there is any chance I will feel like the happy driven person that I once was?

Old 12-09-2008, 02:22 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: T3 and it's effect on Well Being

I've been on T4/T3-treatment for almost 3 years. I ended up feeling absolutely sh**ty with levothyroxine and adding T3 basically brought me back to life. My TSH's were around 3 but FT4 around 19 (range 12-22) and my GP told me not to "mess up" my medication but how could I not because I was a wreck Luckily I went to see an endo who suggested taking T3 before I even asked and it was the absolutely perfect timing since I soon went for even worse. Nowadays I don't bother my GP with this stuff he does not understand and pretty much regulate my own medications based on how I feel - keeping my endo informed at least once a year

Last edited by FinnMaid; 12-09-2008 at 02:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

The thing with T3 over here is that you need a special permit for it and you can get for a year. I have then had a prescripton for a year's supply. If my T3 meds run out before the year has passed I'd have to go to see my endo for a new prescription (the meds can actually last a bit longer than a year since they come in 100 tablet packages - as do our T4 pills too - and I can even go and buy the whole year's lot of T3 at the same time since T3 isn't covered).

My T4 dose hasn't changed that much lately but I've had prescriptions for various amounts (from 2 doctors at best) so I've had for example "left over" 25 mcg pills to work with. I've been able to renew my old prescription at the pharmacy and even increased the dose just by asking (not possible in many places I believe). I know many pharmacies are more strict but I've been able to get my meds as long as I've had a valid prescription (and I know we have a "big brother" that should be keeping an eye on these ).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 12-09-2008 at 11:12 AM.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Baseball, you have to have hope, don't give up. How long have you been taking T4? It takes a long time to get your levels to where you feel good for you, and then it takes even longer (it can be well over a year) to feel like yourself again.

I have no thyroid, and initially, I did need T3---my endo says the studies are mixed, some people seem to feel better with it, some don't, after a while, I no longer needed the T3, and take synthroid only, but it took time to feel normal.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Baseball--I too am still pursuing this t3 angle-like a dog with a bone! You say your doc rejected the t3 -was that just this week ? I know over the weekend you were talking about another appt.
I really think that to get your knowledge base expanded and to figure out where to go it would help you to look at the following 2 books--(then you would know what some MDs are doing and might be able to do a better job presenting your plan)
Ridha Arem MD--The Thyroid Solution second ed.
Kenneth Blanchard MD--What your Doctor May not Tell you about Hypothyroid
So , here are these 2 MD's who believe that in their busy practices that t3 added to t4 has absolutely helped their patients who were feeling like @#&* on t4 only.
Since I feel so absolutely cruddy after 2 yrs t4 Synthroid only treatment-I must try this last approach.
Some mainstream MD's apparently will script cytomel which is a t3. Now I tried that a year ago and as I told you before it was even worse than my usual dull, spaced out feeling-it was wired . I would rather be dull than wired ...but mostly I would rather be well. What I want to try is time released t3. The cytomel problem is that it hits your system fast and this anxiety thing happens to some people-they can't tolerate it , and I am in that group. Whether it would affect you like that is a question.Another poster on here mskmal-did say she used the time release t4 and it helped her alot.
I think you would be able to find an endo or other doc who would probably script cytomel along with your t4. From what I read in Blanchard's book -he has had best luck with t3 at a 2% of your dose with the t4 at 98%. He doesn't like the armour prep because it is 80%t4 and 20%t3. At least that is what he stated in his book.If you don't want to purchase the books just check your library or go by the book store and first peruse the books , you will get their thesis pretty quickly.

Last edited by osteoblast; 12-09-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I really did not feel any different on my thyroid medication ........I was all the way up to 3 Grains of Armour t3 and t4.........no weight loss, still tired, still foggy.......I found out I had Insulin resistance and feel 100% better now...
Get a 2 hour PP Glucose and Insulin......must be a 2 hour to be accurate.

3 things I attribute to feeling better

1) getting my thyroid medication where it needs to be.........also noticed Cytomel makes a HUGE Difference in how I am feeling ( well being ) HUGE.
2) Janumet (Metformin) for insulin resistance.
3) Milk allergy....stay away from Milk, lactose, dairy, sorbital, Carrageenen.

My weight is down, my energy is up, my interest in life is back....much better.
I hope this helps.......

Your Doctor needs to use his head and check you out more thoroughly.

Oleander

Old 12-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
(male)

Baseball06 HB User

OsteoBlast- No that was my Endo that I saw about two weeks ago. He basically told me I have other issues that are causing my symtoms to stick around. I know for a fact that the doctor I am seeing the 18th of this month will prescibe me T3. Now Im not sure if he has access to the time released T3 which seems intriguing to me. As compared to the Cytomel, the time released stuff seems like it would work more like the body naturally producing the hormone. I will let everyone know what I get from my new Doc and tell you how it effects me. Thanks so much for all your replies. The people on here are awesome.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
(male)

Baseball06 HB User

Reece- I have been on T4 for over two years now. I think I should start feeling better by now, but I do have Hashi's so I realize that my levels keep adjusting. At this point I am ready to just try something different bc life is too short to be waiting years for improvement.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Baseball-
When you go to your appt. be prepared that the sticking point with time release t3 may be that it has to be obtained through a compounding pharmacy. (This was my endo's problem) Apparently for some mds that is a significant issue-they do not feel they can rely on getting what they are scripting.I I can understand this issue and read somewhere that a few years back there was a case with someone nearly dying in a myxedema coma from what was supposed to be slow release t3-and it was at 100 times the scripted dose!That is frightening.(If you look up time release or slow release t3-I think you would find this info) Now if a doc has confidence in a compounding pharmacy and knows that they will do their job competently -then it may be possible.
Did I understand you correctly that you have never had your free t3 and t4 tested--just tsh? If this is so, then the doc is likely going to want to test free t's. Also as Oleander said maybe there is another issue going on, like insulin or something else.
It seems that we have both been at this for 2 yrs. with no tangible improvement. But, I am not going to give this project up as a goner. It seems there are others out there who have hashi's and feel fine. We just have to turn over a few more stones it seems.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
(male)

Baseball06 HB User

Yeah we will take care of this issue. I will know more about my situation once I talk with my Doc so I will keep you posted. I wonder why you cant get a time released from a regular pharmacy? Since our situations are really similar it will be nice to talk with you and help you and you can give me feed back also. Thanks for your reply. I will be in touch after my appointment.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

hypoT HB User
Smile Re: T3 and it's effect on Well Being

Have you had your reverse T3 levels checked? You want your rT3 in the LOW end of the range because it can make you feel totally hypothyroid even if your T3 and T4 levels are normal.

I was on Armor (mostly T4) and I felt like crap...in fact, I noticed that I became very sensitive to sugar and would nearly fall asleep sitting up at work after lunch.

I am a poor converter of T4 --> T3, meaning I make a lot of reverseT3 in the process. ReverseT3 is a VERY POTENT INHIBITOR of T3 production & activity in the tissues!! The T4 in the armor was converting to reverse T3 and keeping me fatigued, fat, and foggy.

So, I asked my doc for extended release pure T3 (C-liothyronine 7.5 mcg in E4M) from a compounding pharmacy. He wrote the scrips for the extended release T3 and for Cytomel (non-extended release). The Cytomel barely did anything, but the extended release T3 is awesome and my brain fog is nearly gone, I have lost 8lbs and have more energy. I dropped completely off Armor, but plan to add like a 1/2 grain back in and see how it goes.

I am not perfect, but I think I have insulin resistence and am getting a 4 hr glucose challenge test on 12/23. I'm hoping that some metaformin will boost me that extra notch up to "completely normal."

Also, it's a good idea to take good quality CoQ10 if you take pure T3, because most side effects of T3 overdose include increased heart rate and CoQ10 protects the heart vs. oxidative stress.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Hypot,

If you go on Metformin and cannot tolerate it ( diarrhea Side effect) ask for Janumet and you will feel great.......I switched to that and feel fine.

Oleander

Old 12-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

hypoT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleander53 View Post
Hypot,

If you go on Metformin and cannot tolerate it ( diarrhea Side effect) ask for Janumet and you will feel great.......I switched to that and feel fine.

Oleander
Thanks Oleander! I will definitely keep that in mind

Old 12-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Interesting post here about hypoT's experience--cytomel did nothing for her and sustained release t3 helped alot.
My project.....to get started on sustained release t3 is on hold till next labs are done. I had a recent change in synthroid dose.
Baseball---what is that status of your plan to try t3?

Old 12-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
(male)

csyleen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball06 View Post
Sorry to be writing so much on here, but I am curious and need some help. I was wondering if anyone has added the T3 to their regimen and how it has worked.
I asked my Endo about T3 and he told me that I need to stop blaming my fatigue/depression and brain fog on the thyroid and look for another reason that might be causing that. He tried telling me that it could be that I have over worked my body from athletics and that is causing this. I about started laughing in his face if I had enough energy.
Anyway, Ill cut to the chase. I just want to know if anyone has had normal test levels with the Synthroid and didn't feel right and then tried an alternative treatment and felt normal again. Basically what I am asking is if there is any chance I will feel like the happy driven person that I once was?
I'd find a new doctor. Maybe Synthroid just doesn't work for you. Your doctor should consider that. You know you don't feel right and it seems like your doctor is like many who just want the patient to think it is in his head. I don't know why most doctors seem to think Synthroid is the only answer. Synthroid did not work for me. I took it for years. After a while it was causing me leg pains and weakness. I know this for a fact because I tried twice to stop taking it for a week and the pain went away. I started up again and the pain and weakness came back in my legs. I stop again and the pain stopped. I tried Armour and it worked ok, but it made me very aggitated. I started reading everything online I could about thyroid meds and that's when I found out about Cytomel.
I don't understand why doctors don't consider that everyone's body can convert T4 into T3. This can explain why someone taking Synthroid T4 doesn't work for them. I have been on Cytomel for over a year now. Though I still don't feel great, I feel much better than I did on Syntroid. it does take a little while to get use to. I cut my dose in half for the first two weeks and then 3/4 of the dose for the next two weeks. Problem is finding a doctor who will give it to you. Before I started Cytomel, I wanted to try Armour and my doctor didn't even know they still made it. That is how narrow minded these Endo's are in treating Thyroid disease with Synthroid and Synthroid only.

Closed Thread