It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
(female)

REE77 HB User
Questions for anyone who has had treatment for thyroid CA following thyroidectomy

Of course the more you think the more questions you come up with which is driving me nuts. For anyone who has ever had thyroid CA. how did you know if your cancer spread? I see the ENDO next week to discuss treatment & will ask questions but its so weird thinking if it is somewhere else, just scares me.
I know they say its the best kind ( if there is such a thing) but its so scary just thinking you have cancer. I am sure others who have heard those words know where I am coming from. I know the surgeon said they usually do body scans with treatment. For anyone who has gone through this any info welcomed. Thanks

Old 12-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Questions for anyone who has had treatment for thyroid CA following thyroidectomy

Yes, they do scans with the rai treatments, and then they can see if there was any spread.

If you have pappillary, it rarely spreads beyond the neck, if at all. Follicular rarely spreads too, and if it does, sometimes to the bones. Either way, the same RAI treatment you have, takes care of it.

Here's how mine went---every nuclear medicine place takes care of this differently/timing, follow up, etc.:
1. I never took meds. until after treatment, but you can take cytomel up until 2 weeks before (make sure to ask the endo for this, makes a big difference)
2. I went on a low iodine diet 2 weeks prior to RAI to make sure it will destroy all tissue.
3. Went to nuclear med place, took a tracer dose, next day they did a scan to determine my dose of RAI.
4. Went back to nuclear med place, took my treatment dose of radioiodine 131, secluded myself for 3 days.
5. Went on thyroid medication, 3 days after treatment dose, had a scan to see if it was working, and if there was any trace of cancer/thyroid tissue anywhere in my body.
6. 1 year later went for thyroglobulin blood work, and took another scanning dose of rai, had another whole body scan to make sure all cancer/thyroid tissue is gone.
7. Stay on high dose of synthroid to make sure my tsh is suppressed and I don't get a recurrence.

You don't have to worry much about a spread, it usually doesn't spread, and if it does, it usually responds to the same RAI treatment you are getting anyway, that's why thyroid cancer is "good" because it responds to the radioiodine so well, and it destroys all thyroid tissue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User
Re: Questions for anyone who has had treatment for thyroid CA following thyroidectomy

Thanks for the info, Reece. I have been wondering that same thing. I've been a little worried about how they can detect it if it HAS spread somewhere else and metasticized (I think that's what you call it). Is it possible for it to turn into a different kind of cancer? If so, the body scan doesn't pick it up because it only picks up the radioactive iodine, right?

Ree, I feel your pain! Just knowing you have cancer is scary, though I am grateful it's the "good" kind. Be sure to write down questions for your endo, I NEVER remember all of mine unless I write them in my planner.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Ree,

Wishing you the best.....let us know how everything goes..

Sincerely, Oleander

Closed Thread