It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
(female)

calail HB User
TSH testing range - clarification pls!

i know this topic is discussed ad nauseum, and i've read TONS on this board so i thought i understood this issue. but, i have a question i'm hoping one of the experts can respond to [MG where are you? ]

so, the AACE has recommended that the "normal" range for TSH should be .3 to 3.0.

on this board when we post test results for feedback, we also include the standard range for the lab where we've had the tests completed. how do we know if the lab is using the NEW recommended range and it's adjusted, or if they're using the old range.

for example, my TSH was 4.68, and the lab range was .4-4.50.

is that the old range, or the new range?

big THX for your input.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Re: TSH testing range - clarification pls!

That's the range my lab uses (used to be .5-5.0). The newest one still isn't low enough, but it's better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
(female)

calail HB User

thanks for your reply tigger! i'm a 48YO female - doesn't the lab range change based on personal stuff too?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
(female)

lynnybug55 HB User

You'd think the range would change depending on your age, sex, etc. But, I don't think it does. I believe that's part of the problem! I read somewhere that the normal range is determined by using the results for a group of males in their 40's. Tell me how that helps a woman in menopause or a new mother??!! or any other woman for that matter. Sorry, had to vent.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
(female)

tinyE HB User
Wink Re: TSH testing range - clarification pls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger67 View Post
That's the range my lab uses (used to be .5-5.0). The newest one still isn't low enough, but it's better.
My doctor and I discuss this often. The new range is closer to the recommended 0.3 - 3.0 but it doesn't take much to make you symptomatic, does it?

A few years ago when I was in graduate school, I used the University Health Center. I kept having problems (dry skin, hair loss, lethargy - all those great things) and every time they tested me my results would vary. Meaning: they would test and I would be 6.0 and they would up my dose. Three months later, they would say it was to much because I would test at 0.4. Three months later, I would be back up to 5.0. In the meantime, my symptoms persisted. (Mind you none of this was as awful as prior to diagnosis years before... my TSH was originally 33.0). Finally, my doctor figured out the problem. She had recently attended a lecture on thyroid diseases and the lecturer mentioned that often generic thyroid replacement doesn't give a "sharp" dose. The university pharmacy had been replacing the name brand prescribed with generic. Once my doctor specified on the script "brand only," my levels were easy to maintain again.

Hope my experience is helpful to someone!

Old 12-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
(female)

calail HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnybug55 View Post
You'd think the range would change depending on your age, sex, etc. But, I don't think it does. I believe that's part of the problem! I read somewhere that the normal range is determined by using the results for a group of males in their 40's. Tell me how that helps a woman in menopause or a new mother??!! or any other woman for that matter. Sorry, had to vent.
now, i'm SURE that's what i read, but assumed it was a comparison to my peers - thanks for the clarification! i am SO with your vent

Old 12-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

I agree lynny. I'm a 49 y/o female and I think this thyroid problem put me into early menopause. How can they compare a woman's body chemistry with a man's????? We have similar hormones but our levels are entirely different. If that's the case, I'm not surprised most of us are feeling so horrible. Wow, I wish men could also experience the monthly cycle, carrying a child(ren), giving birth. Bet they'd invent much better testing and treatment if they did.

Closed Thread