It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
(female)

Marigold99 HB User
Anything I can do to prepare for surgery?

Surgery to remove half of my thyroid is scheduled for January 9. I'm wondering what I can do to prepare myself as best as I can for this...vitamins, nutrition, any tips?

Also, any recommendations for post-surgery recovery?

Thanks! I'm trying so hard not to be nervous!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Anything I can do to prepare for surgery?

I hope your surgery goes well! Just have some soft foods around in case your throat feels sore afterward, and some tylenol pm, and make sure you move your neck from side to side after the surgery so your neck doesn't get stiff and achey.....you will be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Be prepared to supplement with calcium if your parathyroids are damaged. Make sure a close friend or family member checks asks what your calcium levels before your leave the hospital. Call your Dr. if you have unusual symptoms. My friend said she even had tinkling in her nose. She also has had muscle cramps in her lower legs. And her hands keep shaking.

When you take calcium supplements you must drink lots of fluid throughout the day to pretect the kidneys. Calcium supplements often cause constipation too so start eating fruits & vegetables as soon as possible. Fam

Old 12-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
(female)

haneti HB User

I had half my thyroid removed on Nov 13, so scared because I have heart condition as well, but I'm here to tell you WORRY is a waste of your life! I am feeling 110%! So happy. My scar didn't even show after 5 weeks and any post-surgery tightness in throat/swallowing has gone. Preparation? No smoking or drinking is a bonus AND my anaesthetist warned me the herbal/natural things that give him the most grief with chemical interactions ALL START WITH G! Avoid garlic, ginseng, gingo biloba and ginger. That was a real eye-opener to me... and probably lots of others. All best. You WILL be fine from one who REALLY knows.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
(female)

REE77 HB User

I am post op thyroidectomy Dec 2nd & to my surprise it was CA. Biospsy didnt show that so yes I was surprised. So I want to say if you dont know you have cancer beforehand be prepared ( not scared) to hear those words. Having said that, the recovery has been fine. I will say that when you take pain meds post op make sure to try & take with at least milk or a cracker if you can get that down. They forgot I hadnt eaten & gave me pain meds so my stomach didnt like that. The soreness does subside quickly & the info others give on these boards was a great help. I am set up follow up treatment so I feel better now with a better understanding. Good luck to you & as others said to me here, you will do fine.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Hi Marigold,
I am in MI, too. I hope your procedure goes well, it is normal to be nervous, I was initially. Then, once I got to the hospital, I wasn't nervous anymore. I guess I figured, there isn't anything I can do, the surgeon does it all, and I knew I was in good hands. You will be a little sore and tired afterward, but I felt the recovery was "pretty easy". Just lay low a few days and rest. I wish you the best!!
Take care,
Lori

Old 12-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
(female)

Marigold99 HB User

Thank you everybody - you've helped ease my mind.
Lori, are you in Wyoming Mich? That's just down the road from me.

All this has gone so fast my head is reeling a bit!

Old 12-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Hi again,
Small world, where are you located? Who is doing your surgery?
Lori

Old 12-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
(female)

Marigold99 HB User

Hi Lori,
I'm over in Holland. Dr. Housekamp is doing my surgery.

Do you have any recommendations for a good endocrinologist in West Michigan?

I figure maybe it's time for me to take my thyroid issues a little bit more seriously.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
(female)

runner512 HB User

I had a partial thyroidectomy on December 15th. I would have to say that the worse part was just anticipating the surgery - the surgery itself went well and recovery wasn't bad, just uncomfortable to have a sore throat for a few days. The scar feels a little tight when I swallow but I've heard that's normal and will go away after awhile.

As for preparing for surgery, I did some reading about what types of foods would be best to eat for surgery in general. I found several hospitals recommending to especially eat high quality sources of protein, iron, folate, and Vitamin C to help recover after surgery so in the two weeks before my surgery I ate plenty of foods with those nutrients. I also came across an interesting study that found the chemicals found in potatoes, eggplants, and tomatoes may interfere with anesthesia, so I completely avoided those foods in the two weeks prior to my surgery. I woke up very well from the surgery, with no grogginess, and did not have a lot of fatigue the week after the surgery. I don't know how much of it had to do with my pre-surgery diet, but I figured it was worth a shot to eat as well as I could and it gave me some sense of control over the situation.

[url]http://www.uchospitals.edu/news/1998/19981020-spudstudy.html[/url]
[url]http://www.guthrie.org/Services/Nutrition/presurgery.pdf[/url]
[url]http://www.dmcsurgeryhospital.org/?id=73[/url]

Old 12-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Hi Marigold, Hope you had a nice Christmas. We will be celebrating with my side of the family in HOLLAND on Sunday, too funny!! My brother and his wife, and family live in Holland. So, you are a little farther than down the road, I was wondering if you really were that close. I haven't heard of your surgeon, just was curious if it was the same group that I went to, but mine is located in GR. Nice that you are located close to the big lake, we go to the beach all the time in the summer, Holland and Grand Haven. It is so relaxing out there. We like to eat at OBI, too. Truly is a small world. I wish you well on your upcoming surgery!! Keep us informed how things are going.
Take care,
Lori

As far as a good endo, not sure...yet. Mine is supposed to be excellent, although I don't feel that way yet, so I wouldn't recommend him to anyone, yet. If you do want his name, just let me know, he is located in GR.

Last edited by Lori123; 12-26-2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add somthing

Old 12-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
(female)

alieb808 HB User

Hi! I am almost a month post-op from having half my thyroid removed (due to nodule). I was absolutely terrified before surgery, but thank God for this site...everyone made me feel so much better. It was a breeze for me, just as everyone said. I had little pain directly after surgery. I have to agree w/Reece about moving your neck. Do not be afraid to move it around, it hurts more when you don't and it gets stiff.

I wish you the very best of luck, blessings, and speedy recovery.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
(female)

Marigold99 HB User

Thanks everyone - you've really helped me ease my mind! I just want to get this over with and am crossing my fingers that it is just a benign nodule...

What were you able to eat after surgery? I'm working on my grocery shopping list today. How long did it take to get back to normal foods?

Lori, I'd like to know the name of your endo, if you don't mind.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:54 AM   #14
(female)

REE77 HB User

Good Luck to you with surgery. As others say the anticipation is the hardest part. I had mine Dec2 and was scheduled for partial , ended up having total due to malignant nodule. I have had a good recovery and have my body scan today & start RAI friday.Remember to have something like a mouth moistener in the hospital w/ you after surgery your mouth is very dry. They did have one there, a tube of something which helped . It was amazing how dry your mouth & lips get & its hard to swallow water the first hours after. I just remember how good it felt just to moisten my mouth! Its those little things that can make you more comfortable. All & all the first week was the most intense of recovery which wasnt as hard as I anticipated. Its all this stuff that follows that is nerve wracking. I just try to take it step by step . Good Luck to you.
Ree

Old 01-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

searich HB User

any recommendations for post-surgery recovery?
pls

Closed Thread