It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 10:50 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's Disease)

Some people say (with Hashi's) that they have Fibromyalgia, but it's not like rheumatoid athritis. I had Itp which was when my platelets were atacked and they went very low. That was ten years ago and more likely with Graves disease. I found this out on my own, that if you had one you're more likely to get the other, in MY case.I don't think Hashi attacks anything else though, but you can have another auto immune disease with it.Graves also attacks the eyes, I don't have that part,fortunately.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:54 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

GG... You have ITP too?! Is it in remission now? Were you ever treated for it?

(May I hijack your thread for a minute to ask that of GG, gm? I'm a little flabbergasted right now and dying to know.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2008, 11:20 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

yes midwest, I had it in '97 and was hospitalized for it. I almost bled to death! My platelets went down to 1000, you're supposed to have 250,000! I had my period at the same time and I NEVER had heavy periods, this was BAD! They never knew WHY I had this, but I found out it's more likely with Graves disease. I found this out 2 years ago. Doctors were stumped. They thought it could have been a reaction to quinine which is in tonic water. This can lower platelets too. I was on prednisone for about 3 months when they returned to normal and haven't had a problem since. I was given a tranfusion and gamma globulins in the hospital or they said I would have had a bleed to the brain. I was covered in purplish spots, which is the purpura part of idiopathic thrombolitic purpura. Do you have it???

Old 12-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yes, I do! (See post #15 just above yours. You posted #16 at about the same time.) It's also common in conjunction with hypoT. My lowest count has been 26K (at diagnosis in Sept); my last one was 67K. Dr. Hematologist treats below 10; so far I've dodged the treatment bullet. The thought of prednisone frightens me more than a brain bleed, frankly.

This is yet another example of the need for a DIY diagnosis. My primary doc told me that my count was "entirely normal". Can't trust any of them, can we?

Old 12-31-2008, 04:03 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow! That's really something,huh? The docs back then didn't give the diagnosis of anything really, they just said ITP with no explanation. it was me who came up with the quinine theory and 2 docs agreed. Look out for tonic water midwest! I haven't touched it since! Also a little while after this my red blood cell count went down too, but I also have Thalessemia.That's the only explanation a blood doc could give me after going to one for almost a year. I already knew I had that from years before and told them after a stressful incident in my life was over, my blood count would go up. He kind of snickered at that, but it did and I told him so!!Was fine from "97 to 2006 when I was diagnosed with Graves after another stressful situation! My mind plays a BIG part in how I am physically. Strange! p.s very interesting how it's related to Hashi as I have the antibodies for that too!

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 12-31-2008 at 04:05 PM.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:42 AM   #21
(female)

scinamon HB User

I have been diagnosed with Hasimotos's about a month ago. It is an autoimmune disorder where your body attacks the thyroid creating an imflammation in the thyroid. When this happens the thyroid dumps all the thyroid hormones..T4,T3 into the blood stream creating hyper type symptoms. After this time you become hypothyroid. I seesaw between these symptoms. I am on dessicated thyroid which has T4 and T3 to replensh the depleted thyroid hormones. This can take a while to stabilize again...finally I start feeling better and then it happens all over again..the hyper symptoms which can last for days sometimes it is worse than others. The meds do not cause these symptoms, you probably need more T4 and T3 because you are not replenishing quick enough. My doctor is regularily upping my dose. Hashimoto's is caused by an infection in the body 75% of the time. My blood work shows an infection in my blood...hemoglobin A. So with hasimoto's the body cannot kill the infection in the body and for what ever reason the immune system is attacking the thyroid. My doctor is working on getting rid of the infection and then Hasimoto's should clear up and then I will only have to deal with hypothyroidism. When your thyroid is out, all your systemas are affected including adrenal, and liver as this is where there are T4 and T3 receptors. Most people are also deficient in Vitamin A, Zinc, Vitamin b12 nad zinc when having thyroid problems. I hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #22
(female)

scinamon HB User

I have hyper syptoms too, for a time I could not sleep at all for over a month i had to take sleeping pills. My iron is fine, by female hormones were out of wack due to my thyroid problem. Low progesterone can create anxiety and insomnia too. I seesaw between hyper/hypo but always have some hyper syptoms. Hasimoto is caused by an infection, eliminate that and the hyper symptoms should go away. I am on dessicated thyroid (like Armour) and now my female hormones are better.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:52 AM   #23
Inactive
(male)

searich HB User

It could be you're hypo but are in a hyper phase of Hashi with your FT3 too high!

Old 07-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #24
(female)

mlittle HB User

Yea, I was diagnosed with hashimoto's disease right after i gave birth to my first daughter, been on synthroid ecver since (20 years) but I must have the brand name...generics cause problems for me and do not manage my disease. Are you going with brand name?

Closed Thread