It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

melissa1873 HB User
Anyone have thyroid nodules accompanied by neck and ear pain?

Tell me your story please. I have thyroid history from 20 years ago where most of my thryoid was removed. Now the remaining peice of thyroid has nodules. Its not the nodules that bothers me, its the neck pain and ear pain/fullness/partial deafness? It is non stop. NEVER goes away. I do have appt with endo on Jan 8th but I want to hear others stories of their diagnosis.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User
Re: Anyone have thyroid nodules accompanied by neck and ear pain?

Some back history on me:

I have recently been told I have a 2.5 cm by 2 cm thyroid nodule.
It was discovered sort of by accident. I have a gland in my neck that swelled up after a long bout of sinus infections and antibiotics for 6 weeks...It has been swollen for 6 months so finally they US (Ultrasounded) that one. for some strange reason while doing the US the tech asked if I had thyroid problems and I said my brother had thyroid cancer. I had forgotten to tell my ENT because it was 18 years ago and my bro has done well since...

She said "well you have a thyroid nodule, you better mention it to the ENT."
So my doc did US the thyroid nodule and did a fine needle biopsy and now I am probably going to have surgery to make sure there is no cancer!!

The FNB was benign but he said that is no guarantee since my family has thyroid cancer, he wants to remove at least that lobe and the whole gland if it is cancerous. he won't know until the lab checks a section while I am on the table.

Back to your question:>
My hearing and neck pain has been coming on for several years now that I look back on it. I feel as if my ears are always full and I have to use captioning to watch tv...I try to be right in front of someone if they speak to me. YET, I know I am NOT deaf. So what in heck is going on?

I think that YES the glands in my neck and my thyroid nodule has caused some hearing issues.

What about choking and coughing? Did you have that? I can't lie down without the coughing both in or out of winter, and I choke on almost all foods and sometimes water.

I think my growth has changed the way the trachea or esophagus is shaped. After the docs did the FNB using that US equipment, my doc was no longer saying "we will watch it." He said you have to have it removed.

I am getting different opinions tho. One nurse said just do it. My brother who is a radiologist said wait and watch. But gimme a break. Is he choking on all his food and coughing constantly even tho no allergies or cold? No cuz he had his thyroid removed...

So to answer the original question, yes my hearing is affected, both ears and now that my glands are swollen my neck does hurt. Also, the vein that crosses over my thyroid is visible night and day in the hollow in my neck.
That is NEW for me.

Last edited by golfhat; 01-01-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2009, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

melissa1873 HB User

Its interesting you mention the coughing/choking. I failed to mention those symptoms. I have to consciously think about drinking fluids. If I dont actually think about it while I'm swallowing, some fluid goes into my trachea every time. That is when I spend the next 15 min coughing and clearing my throat to try and bring up the liquid I aspirated. I have always figured this is related as it has gotten worse month to month. Everyone aspirates from time to time but I do it every time! Unless of course I concentrate on my swallowing technique. I'm not sure if this is what your problem is from??

And my neck and ear pain is only on the right side of my neck. My left side feels wonderful! My right side feels like I want to cut if off ! Thank you for your post and good luck!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

The muscles of my esophagus were damaged when I had thyroiditis 30 yrs ago. Swallowing liquids is harder than soft foods believe or not. You can buy a thickner for liquids to make it easier to swallow.

I have adapted to it over the years. I love salads & find leaf lettuce the easiest to swallow. I over cook all my foods & chew, chew, & chew. I do miss all the raw vegetables I used to eat. I switched to a vegetarian diet cause meat is especially difficult to swallow. I like veggies better anyhow.

Neck pain & hearing loss makes me think of carotid artery issues. Dr. Dean Edell on XM said any unexplained hearing loss should be investigated for constricted blood vessel problems. Fam

Old 01-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
(female)

elphers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa1873 View Post
Its interesting you mention the coughing/choking. I failed to mention those symptoms. I have to consciously think about drinking fluids. If I dont actually think about it while I'm swallowing, some fluid goes into my trachea every time. That is when I spend the next 15 min coughing and clearing my throat to try and bring up the liquid I aspirated. I have always figured this is related as it has gotten worse month to month. Everyone aspirates from time to time but I do it every time! Unless of course I concentrate on my swallowing technique. I'm not sure if this is what your problem is from??

And my neck and ear pain is only on the right side of my neck. My left side feels wonderful! My right side feels like I want to cut if off ! Thank you for your post and good luck!
Melissa,
Finally, someone else who is dealing with right sided neck pain! I recently went to my endo, and mentioned this. Mine is actually worse at night and keeps me awake alot! I have hashimotos. The PA said that I should have a thyroid ultrasound, but the endo said wait until I come back in 3 months. Why? The pain isn't getting any better! The endo said that she didn't feel a goiter, but that my thyroid on the right side was more palpable and different from the left side. After last night not sleeping well at all because of the pain, I am almost thinking of calling them on Monday to request an ultrasound. The PA told me after the Dr. left the room that she definitely recommends an ultrasound, but she has to go with the drs orders.
I'm just thinking that if it isn't my thyroid causing this pain, then I can go to my GP for another cause. I've had it for about 5 months now.
Did you ever have a thyroid ultrasound?
Good luck to you!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

I had a thyroid ultra sound. It is the same as an ultra sound for a baby or your lymph nodes, etc.

they will be able to see whether there is something there and the size. Also if it is at least 2 cm they will want to do a FNB to check for cancer.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
(female)

melissa1873 HB User

My history is that I had most my thyroid out due to thyroid nodules when I was 18. 18 years later, via ultrasound, they found that the remaining portion of my thyroid (right side) is loaded with nodules. It was determined via ultrasound after going in complaining of neck and ear pain. I have my first endo appt this Thursday the 8th of Jan. My neck/ear pain never goes away.

Elphers, what you describe to me is interesting and common. I find it hard to understand that when people go to the doctor for a problem, they dont try and find the answer right away. Come back in three months? Why? Doctors are smart people...otherwise they wouldnt have graduated med school! I have a lot of trust in them, probably too much. However, somethings that they do really boggle my mind. If you have pain, and someone says come back in three months for ultrasound, my question would be "why three months"

I have read alot of posts here where patients have problems with the treatment they receive. Moreso than alot of other ailments.

Good luck to you !

Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 AM   #8
(female)

elphers HB User

Melissa,
Please let me know what the endo Dr. says when you go on the 8th. Good luck!
It IS frustrating that the Dr. didn't order the ultrasound that day. The Physician's Assistant even had the paperwork ready, because she was sure that it would be ordered. The Dr. said that she didn't feel a goiter, but could my right-sided neck pain be from nodules, like you have? Can the Dr. actually feel nodules? Like I said, all she mentioned was that the right side of my thyroid was more palpable than my left.
I guess I still have to wait the 3 months for my appointment. The PA told me to INSIST on an ultrasound that day, which isn't until March 10. I have an appointment next week with a hemotologist, so I might mention my neck pain to him............

Old 01-07-2009, 06:05 AM   #9
(female)

melissa1873 HB User

I will surely let you know what happens tomorrow. I would guess that the neck pain you're having could be from the nodules. What doctors need to understand I think is that after months or years of a dull annoying tolerable pain, it can become emotionally and physically intolerable. Your body gets tired of being in pain all the time even if its not horrible pain. I would rather have a couple days of migrains than months of "tolerable" neck pain. The come back in three months statement is what I'm referring to. There comes a time when you just have to say "enough is enough"

I will post tomorrow after my appointment. Have a great day!

Last edited by melissa1873; 01-07-2009 at 06:06 AM.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
(female)

elphers HB User

Melissa,
I just called my Endo's office, because last night was another "sleepless" night because of the neck pain. I also am constantly clearing my throat, which I can live with that!
Anyways, I even asked if I could come in again so that I could possibly have the ultrasound ordered. The nurse that that pain is not associated with hypothyroidism, or thyroid problems, so I am to call my family dr. He's off today, but I already recently went to him for chest pain and he gave me a shot, which didn't help my chest or neck pain at all. I really don't even feel like seeing him again unless he will order the thyroid ultrasound.
I guess I have to wait until March! AARRGGHH!
Good luck again tomorrow! I'm curious if your endo says that the neck pain COULD be from the thyroid!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

some of this hesitancy to order US could have something to do with insurance. so the docs don't just readily order an ultra sound.

As for feeling or seeing a nodule.... They cannot see mine except on US. However when he felt for it I coughed like i was gonna die, and was being choked then he knew right where it was.

So yes, have the US. go to an ENT, not an Endo. The Endo takes care of you AFTER the surgery.

What is up with these docs?
My ENT did not order the US of my neck nodules right away. He was like--"Well, we could do an US if you are worried." huh?

But once he saw the thyroid nodule and found out about my brother having thyroid cancer he changed his tune.
He said "you can have it out now or have it out in 6 months or a two years. But it will make itself known by growing and changing the shape of your trachea and that is a big deal." Now he is doing a 180.

I know one old lady who had to have hers out at age 90.
What is the point if putting off something like this? BEsides mine is most likely cancerous. I am not waiting.

Last edited by golfhat; 01-07-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #12
(female)

melissa1873 HB User

Elphers,

I'm certainly far from the smartest person in the world, however, the statements you've mentioned from your doctor seem strange to me. It is a FACT that thyroid nodules or an enlarged thyroid can cause neck and ear pain amongst other symptoms. If you havent had your US yet and they KNOW you have thyroid issues, then how can the nurse say she doesnt think the neck pain is related? I dont get it - but again, like I said, I'm not brilliant like the docs...ugh -

sorry, rambling - I hope you sleep well tonight.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
(female)

melissa1873 HB User

I had my first endo appt today. So far I like this guy. We did blood work and he ordered a biopsy. He said he could normally do it there but the main nodule they want to biopsy is behind my thyroid so they need to do it somewhere else during an ultrasound? He was surprised to know that I hadnt been on a thyroid medication when I told him that most of my thyroid was removed. Biopsy wont be for a couple weeks so I wont know anything until then.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 AM   #14
(female)

elphers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa1873 View Post
I had my first endo appt today. So far I like this guy. We did blood work and he ordered a biopsy. He said he could normally do it there but the main nodule they want to biopsy is behind my thyroid so they need to do it somewhere else during an ultrasound? He was surprised to know that I hadnt been on a thyroid medication when I told him that most of my thyroid was removed. Biopsy wont be for a couple weeks so I wont know anything until then.
Melissa,
Glad to hear that you liked this doctor.
I am curious,
did you mention your neck pain. and if so, did he say that it is related to your thyroid?
How did he know about your nodules-- did you have an ultrasound prior to seeing him?
Did he put you on synthroid?
Sorry for all of the questions, but I feel that we have a connection, and I am interested.
I wish you the best with your biopsy.
I decided to hang in there for now with my neck pain, but I am going to mention it at my hemotologist appointment on Tues.
Thanks,
elphers

Old 01-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #15
(female)

melissa1873 HB User

Elphers,

A month ago I went to my physicians office complaining of neck and ear pain. They did an ultrasound the next day and found the nodules. Yes, chances are the nodules behind my thyroid are pressing on nerves causing neck and ear pain. Fast forward to endo appt yesterday...

endo doc said amongst other things that he wants me to try "Levothyroxine" which I think is a generic synthroid. This is to attempt to decrease the size of the nodules in effort to decrease the pain I'm having. So yes, there is a correlation. He even suggested that I may need surgery to remove the rest of the thyroid if this drug doesnt decrease the size.

Rewind again to initial appt for neck/ear pain. I suffered with the pain for several weeks thinking it would go away before I made an appt. I was fed up and asked for a "non narcotic pain reliever stronger than ibuprofin" to help with the pain and the PA that I saw at this appt said "I dont think the pain you're having is related to thyroid and I'd like to see you again before I prescribe anything" - I understand that completely. Docs dont want to give meds away...but If I go in intially complaining of neck and ear pain...you send me off to ultrasound and they find problems...but you dont think its related? Why didnt you tell me that in the first place and keep looking for source of the pain? Grrrr.. Of course now we do know it is related and I'm still suffering with pain for now. Until I get thyroid removed or the drugs kick in.

Hope this answers your questions???

Closed Thread