It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Question about mucus in throat

Hello everyone!

I am hypothyroid for about 4 years now. Age 44 and in decent shape. I have been having what I think is acid reflux but now I am beginning to wonder if they thyroid is involved. I have been having mucus in throat for a few weeks now. I keep trying to clear it. I have tons of allergies and I have also had some burning in the sternum and at night I know the acid has come up into my mouth. I sometimes get sore in my mouth from this. I an under alot of stress.

But my question is...could this lumpy feeling, like my throat is thick and full of mucus be a thyroid problem? Sometimes I feel like it is tight and I can't get a good breath in. How can a person tell if there is a growth. How would I know if I even got thyroid cancer? This all frightens me very much.

I am scheduled for my first endoscopy on Jan. 9th. They are going to look and check for damage etc...from acid reflux. Can they look at my thyroid to while they are in there? I would appreciate any response. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Question about mucus in throat

The thryoid is a butterfly shaped organ at the base of your neck, kind of below where your adams apple would be.

The way to see it is with an ultrasound or other studies, I don't believe they can see it going down your throat. The bottom of your neck might be swollen or have a nodule or bump there if it were a thyroid issue.

Thyroid cancer is really really rare, and is usually found by the lump on the neck---not by the symptoms you are describing----go for your endoscopy, and then you can get a neck ultrasound if they don't find anything, but don't worry about thyroid cancer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

I have had what you describe, throat clearing. I've just noticed its not as much lately. I too have the shortness of breath, especially when my neck is titlted forward. My right gland is swollen, sometimes more than other times. I saw my endo Friday and he just shrugged it off as part of Hashi's flucuations. But, since I started estradiol for some reason its better? Right now battling a urinary infection, urgh...havent' had one in yrs! Looks like this darn immune disease makes things so whacky! But the throat clearing and coughing phlem has been a long time issue with me.
Hysterectomy

Old 01-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
(female)

wants2Bwell HB User

i have suffered with that from time to time and sometimes it is REALLY bad and i just cannot seem to get it up. I use a nasal wash bottle similar to a nettie pot with salt water. I have read recently that is can be due to a systemic candida infection. Just another thing to look into. Between this, hashi's, celiac, lupus.....it becomes a chicken vs egg dilemma.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I have a multinodular goiter and I noticed while getting a massage lying on my stomach that I had some serious issues with my throat ......Yikes.

as far as the mucus goes........get a blood RAST test for allergies if you haven't already done so. See what you are allergic to. Much to my suprise at age 55 I found out it was milk....

Hope you get feeling better. o

Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

A big thank you to all of you!! I REALLY appreciate all your imput!

I think I am just dealing with several issues and trying to get everything working correctly. I have the thyroid issues which for the past 2 years is working smoothly with my medication. But then I have the life long allergies, which I think there are more I have that I don't know about. Then I am going through perimenopause and that STRESSES me out. lol And I am trying to take off the 30 pounds I put on over the past 4 years. ugh! But I have lost about 10. yay! And I am trying to de yeast my body because I think I am full of yeast in there. I radically changed my diet about 2 weeks ago and quiet honestly other than the mucus I feel like I haven't in years. Lots of energy and a clear mind. I love it! It's so worth is not eating all the sugar and junk that I was.

I will follow through with the endoscopy this friday the 9th. even though I am scared. I just want to cover all the bases. The mucus is nutty! I hate it and I know people deal with this as a life long problem sometimes.

I felt my thyroid. It doesn't seem to be swollen at all there. It feels normal and does not hurt. Sometimes I get strange pains that go from my throat or jaw to the ears. But that would be stress, allergies or the teeth grinding thing I do at night. (aargh! stress!)

Thanks again! I will try not to freak. Expecially about the cancer thing. I just think many of us immediately think the worst.
Hang in there everyone! Have a super day!

Closed Thread