It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
(female)

one2wonder HB User
Exclamation Time sensitive Cytomel questions...pls help....

Ok, when I first went to the holistic doc while I was on 100 of Synthroid only, he did the reverse T3 which ended up being 46 (11-32) and said that I needed T3...after a round about thing with armour, we settled on the 88syn/10cyto. Obviously that didn't work for me and I am back to the 100 of Synthroid. I am wondering about the adrenal thing or as (some of you have said) whether adding the T3 to the 100 of Synthroid would be the answer. Let me preface this by saying I would *never* condone anyone willy nilly trying different doses on their meds themselves w/o med supervision. However, since the holistic doc was initially going to put me on 100 syn and 5 cyto, which would be the equivalent to 120 of straight Synthroid, and I had already been on 88syn/10cyto (equiv to roughly 128 Synthroid) I am debating on whether to try this for a few days before I go to endo on Tues to see if this is the answer. If I feel better, then I could fess up and tell him what I did and see what he says. I am not sure if I am going to do this or not. I don't want to mess up any blood tests the endo may do either. I posted my previous labs below FYI.

1. How long does Cytomel stay in the blood stream? Maker site says biological half life is 2.5 days. Does that mean 2.5 days it stays in blood stream? ***Just spoke to King Pharm..and they said yes...it means it stays in your blood for 2.5 days.***

2. If I were to do this, how long do you think before I would feel any different. The Cytomel info on the maker's website says max pharmacologic response is 2-3 days. Does that mean 2-3 days before I may feel different? ***Again, spoke to King pharm...they said, yes it would take 2-3 days for response to meds***

3. It is the chicken or the egg thing too...Did they hypo mess up the adrenals or did I have the adrenal thing previously...

4.. Thoughts????

September (while on 100 Synthroid only)
Free T4 1.7 (.8-1.8)
Free T3 307 (230-420)
TSH .76 (.4-4.50)
TPO AB 463

November (while on .88mcg Synthroid, 10mcg Cytomel, 200mg Progesterone 18days/mo)
Free T4 1.2 (.8-1.8)
Free T3 325 (230-420)
TSH .22 (.4-4.50)
TPO AB 411

Last edited by one2wonder; 01-06-2009 at 08:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

mattie75 HB User
Re: Time sensitive Cytomel questions...pls help....

I was wondering about that Cytomel active in your blood stream issue also I hope someone knowledgable on that will respond.
Mattie

Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

one2wonder,

Let me preface this by saying I would *never* condone anyone willy nilly trying
different doses on their meds themselves w/o med supervision. However, since the holistic doc was initially going to put me on 100 syn and 5 cyto, which would be the equivalent to 120 of straight Synthroid, and I had already been on 88syn/10cyto (equiv to roughly 128 Synthroid).
This seems like a logical plan given your TSH response and Fts being in normal range.

I am debating on whether to try this for a few days before I go to endo on Tues to see if this is the answer. If it would work, then I could fess up and tell him what I did and see what he says. I wouldn't add the cytomel back in until after your latest round of testing.

1. How long does Cytomel stay in the blood stream? Maker site says biological half life is 2.5 days. Does that mean 2.5 days it stays in blood stream? depending on your thyroid state (hypo/normal/hyper) you can have a half-life of >2/2/<2 days. This means that you should at least give your body a week or two to purge the cytomel. After 2 days you will be at 50 concentration, 4 days 25%, 6 days 12.5%, 8 days 6.25%, 10 days 3.125%.. you get the picture. After 9 days you are with in the error limit of the tests and thus can safely assume that the cytomel remaining is negligible to the accuracy of the tests. If a Total T3 testing regime is used.. 5 days is sufficient.

2. If I were to do this, how long do you think before I would feel any different. The Cytomel info on the maker's website says max pharmacologic response is 2-3 days. Does that mean 2-3 days before I may feel different? Okay it takes your body 7-10 days to hit equilibrium on a T3 supplement if you are HYPO.. if you are not the adjustment is quicker 5-7 days. You should notice a difference with the T3 with in a matter of days. It just takes your body longer to determine if the difference will be enough.

3. It is the chicken or the egg thing too...Did they hypo mess up the adrenals or did I have the adrenal thing previously... Unknown and not enough information to determine this. you need cortisol and ACTH and other hormonal studies regularly to determine the health/reactivity of you adrenals.

September (while on 100 Synthroid only)
Free T4 1.7 (.8-1.8)
Free T3 307 (230-420)
TSH .76 (.4-4.50)
TPO AB 463

November (while on .88mcg Synthroid, 10mcg Cytomel, 200mg Progesterone 18days/mo)
Free T4 1.2 (.8-1.8)
Free T3 325 (230-420)
TSH .22 (.4-4.50)
TPO AB 411[/QUOTE]

Your antibody levels are consistent no matter the dosage. The FT4 level drop may be due to excess estrogen binding up T4 given the progesterone. your T3 levels are better on the 10 mcg of cytomel. Would it be possible to try a median T4 dose of 94mcgs? You can take half a 100 and half an 88 to get this amount. I might see about trying a 94 mcg and 10 mcg combination. Especially if you test your estrogen levels and they are high. You should also have them look into your thyroid binding hormone potential.. now the MD may balk.. you have to persuade them to work with you.

MG

Old 01-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
(female)

one2wonder HB User

I wonder what this endo will say since holistic doc office switched me from the 88/10 combo back to 100 syn only on Dec 30, so obviously haven't had blood drawn since. I see this endo on Jan 13... (two weeks since changing meds) if he wants to test thyroid again, how long should I push for new tests?

Last edited by one2wonder; 01-06-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I go with 4 - 6 weeks. That is how long it takes my body to catch up to my medication changes. My TSh takes longer to adjust.. but my Ft levels are solid in 4 weeks. You shouldn't have to wait more that 8 weeks and 6 weeks is a reasonable wait time. If you can get a shift to the 94/10 combination your change is slight and your body should adapt quickly. Four weeks may be sufficient. It is variable and depends on your body chemistry. I wish I had a more direct answer for you.

MG

Closed Thread