It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
I HATE reference ranges... will I EVER feel better?

Another example of WHY DO THEY BOTHER WITH REFERENCE RANGES!!! and I LOST THE LOW TSH BATTLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopalong_too View Post
Onetowonder and Finnmaid, I am VERY interested in this post. I, too, have Hashimotos and have been on 62.5mcg Synthroid and 5mcg Cytomel. I am not due to see my Endo until April. I went to my GP last week and had blood test for Vitamin D (previously too low) and Calcium (previously high normal). I told her about dry skin and SOOO tired (sleeping every afternoon....who does that???) and VERY SORE hips! She suggested to have my thyroid hormones checked again.

TSH 0.235 (.45-4.5) (flagged low)
FT4 1.18 (.61-1.76) (49.5%)
FT3 2.9 (2.3-4.2) (31.57%)

Calcium 10.9 (8.5-10.5) flagged high
Vitamin D 25OH 63.4 (40-100)

I believe the high Calcium is an issue but I am always being told it is not high enough to worry about! My doctor says the sore hips are from low Vitamin D and she wants my level at 80-90! I take 50,000IU twice weekly.

The last time my TSH was low like this, my Endo lowerd my Synthroid from 75 to 62.5. My worry is that I still have HypoT symptoms and my FT4 and FT3 are below 50%! I really need to get the FT3 up (I think?)

I will see what the GP says on Monday. I will try and say the TSH should not be looked at when taking Cytomel......but I have nothing scientific to back it up?? Can anyone help??

Onetowonder....our numbers are almost alike. I hope you get some answers and PLEASE let me know!

Happy New Year to all Hoppy
I went to the GP yesterday. She says not to worry about the high calcium. Previous calcium tests showed always high/normal 10.5 (8.5-10.5) and I was always told it was normal. Now that it is high, I am being told....Don't worry, it's not high enough. Everything I read tells me that my symptoms are from high calcium!!

I was told to call the Endo and have him review the results. They called me back and LOWERED my Synthroid from 62.5 to 50mcg. (Ignored the high calcium as well!) I asked my GP about the FT3 being at only 30% of range and she said not to worry as it is sometimes unreliable. Both she AND the Endo said TSH cannot be that low even when I stressed that I thought the FT4 and FT3 should be at the high end of range if the TSH dropped so low.I can't win! Hoppy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: I HATE reference ranges......will I EVER feel better?

Hoppy,

Your MD is TSH watching again. Your Fts were low normal. There was no need to lower your T4 dose. Your bone aches may have been the result of a temporary hyperT spike. With Hashimoto's I get them all the time. Luckily I am down to 33% thyroid function is scans are to be believed. I am on 88 mcgs.. this is close to the 1.6 mcg/kg recommendation.. but I only need T4 supplementation. I have to keep my system in check or i over convert my T4 to T3.

MG

Old 01-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Re: I HATE reference ranges... will I EVER feel better?

Well, I just spoke to the Endo's office again. They called to say don't worry about the high calcium. I questioned the change to a lower dosage just so I can get it straight in my mind. I was told that since I had the test done early afternoon, the Cytomel was probably almost depleted as it works fast. I said I am still cold and tired and I was told that can be symptoms of hyperT as well. So I will go with the expert as I have no choice anyway and am TIRED of fighting and just PLAIN TIRED and see if the lower dose will help. I have been crying for no reason so much lately....this is pathetic!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Important (maybe) fact I just found out! Along with the cholesterol testing my doctor did with the finger ***** was a blood glucose test. This was a fasting test. Result was 151mg/dl. The previous visit was 109mg/dl. What is normal fasting level? Under 100?

I just found this out because they called to say when I come in 3 weeks, I need to fast so they can check glucose again. Could this be why I have to get up and pee all night? Could this be why I need a nap every afternoon? I thought it was because of the calcium level. I am not overweight with a BMI of 21.8 but have lost 12 pounds in the last 4 months (I believe from stopping the nasty antidepressant).

Is it worth it to check my own levels before the next visit in 3 weeks? Is it possible to test one's own levels? Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 01-06-2009 at 12:46 PM.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

If you are diabetic there are home/OTC means to check blood sugar levels. 151 is high. 109 is just over or near the top of most blood glucose levels. However I believe you need a prescription to get a home testing kit. You may be able to buy one with out a script, but it will be expensive.

Did they ever test you for insulin resistance (IGF?)? High or low blood sugar levels can cause many issues.

Antidepressants are well known for their weight gain issues. Congrats on the weight loss.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 01-07-2009 at 05:25 AM.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Hoppy,

I think you'd better not to change your dose until next test, perhaps your TSH would be elevated again in next test.

And for the high Calcium, did you have iPTH and ionized calcium tested?

Old 01-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I have already picked up the 50mcg Synthroid. I am forced to change as I don't have enough pills to keep up the higher dosage. (And I can't take a dosage that the doctor disagrees with because it may throw off the testing next time).

My ionized calcium has ALWAYS been high. Tested three times. High three times. 1.35, 1.41 and 1.42 (1.17-1.32) Doctor says it is not reliable and NOT HIGH ENOUGH TO WORRY ABOUT! PTH has never been above range....highest was 25 and 27 (15-65) but it is apparently inappropriately normal because of high calcium.

I bought a blood glucose testing meter today. It was expensive but so are multiple doctor copays! I did it twice randomly (135 and 141). I will do a fasting (FBG) tomorrow morning. It seems that hypercalcemia and high blood glucose have a lot of the same symptoms! Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 01-07-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Well, iPTH can be normal.

Did you have BMD tested? That could has great things to do with the abnormal metabolism of Calcium, increased bone density or decreased. The urine Calcium and blood Calcitonin tests also make sense.

I remembered there is a chart in the medical book that states what the levels of Vit D, ionized Calcium, and iPTH and other lab indicators. There are different situation followed by their normal or abnormal levels. That'd better be diagnosed by your doctor. If he/she just is not so skilled with metabolic bone diseases. you'd better find a better one.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hoppy,

Keep a blood sugar chart. You should also make sure that you get a thorough insulin study done. Your may not be making enough. There are antibodies that attack and kill off that ability too.

I think that if you chart the blood sugar data with a diet log your MD is going to be in for a surprise. Seeing a bone MD might get more attention on the Calcium issues.

MG

Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I was back at the GP yesterday. My fasting blood glucose (FBG) was great..82!! I also had an HBA1c done and it was GREAT!.5....so for now I can cross prediabetes of the list. I brought a few pages from parathyroid.com for my GP to my previous visit and I think she may have read them as she said my calcium was high (10.9 (8.5-10.5)) and should be retested. (Previously she had said it wasn't really high enough to worry about and Endo told me the same thing). So I will wait and see if the calcium is still high and go from there. I need to go back in two weeks as cholesterol and triglycerides are still way TOO high. I wondered if high cholesterol and triglyceride levels are connected to low FT4 and FT3 issues? My HDL is great and no family history of heart disease that I know of. We will talk about that at the next visit but I am wondering if anyone has high levels of cholesterol and low FTs. Thanks, Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 01-15-2009 at 09:11 AM.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

My calcium came back even higher 11.2 (8.5-10.5). I am now going to see the otolaryngologist again (GP's office called this morning) but have to wait over a month for the appointment. Another month of feeling YUCK!

Can anyone help me with the cholesterol/hypothyroid question above?

Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

High cholesterol and triglycerides can be due to heredity, poor adrenal function (Adrenals use cholesterol and triglycerides as fuel for pregnenolone which is then converted to estrogen, testosterone, DHEA, progesterone, cortisol and aldosterone). I have alos learned if our oil intakes are off it can severely increase triglycerides. Adding 1200 mg of fish oil with DHA and EPA to my supplement regime halved my triglycerides. My cholesterol has always been in normal range, but my mom's and her sisters increase when their thyroid hormones are low.

I am not as familiar with the cholesterol processing mechanism. I am planning on looking into it for my hubby, but my to do list is really long.

MG

Old 01-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Thanks MG. My GP has me supplementing with 4 grams (4000mg) of fish oil with DHA and EPA daily to see if it helps. I do not want to go on cholesterol meds if I can help it! Thyroid meds are enough to have to worry about. Hoppy

Closed Thread