It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 06:03 AM   #1
(female)

REE77 HB User
Update on biopsy results of neck

Finally got my FNA results of lymph node/neck biopsy. The Dr said it took so long cuz it went to Johns Hopkins for a third opinion. He said there were cells that were benign in the salivary gland but there was also a neoplasm, not listed as definite cancerous. Not even in a specific area although this is under my ear . He is referring me to a Dr. here in the Cancer Hospital for a second opinion because he thinks this needs to come out. I am glad I had it done before my total scan today because its possible that there could be more answers if something shows in that area. Things just keep getting more complicated and I am kind of scared about this scan & what is gonna show up. Man this has been a real ride. I thought Id be on my way by now & it looks kike there may be more in store. I am still freaked how this all came up by just having a lymph node in my neck checked. I will post after body scan.

Thanks

Ree

Old 01-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Re: Update on biopsy results of neck

Good luck to you Ree. Sounds like you have a trying situation on your hands. These medical things can really put us through it! When we are in the middle of these situations it is often so difficult to retain perspective, balance, hope, joy . I am hoping the best for you.Let us know how the body scan goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Well, that must be quite confusing---I would talk to the nuclear med doctor there about this when you get the scan, because if it uptakes iodine (ie, salivary glands do), I'm guessing if it is thyroid cancer, it could possibly be destroyed by your RAI if they dose it properly.

Sounds like you are in good hands---good luck with this.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

Amazing. I started out with swollen glands in my neck too---8 months ago and had an ultrasound which was not definitive. the doc thought it was nothing to worry about til he found out my brother had thyroid cancer.

Then it was discovered I also have a big nodule on my thyroid and they ultrasounded it. Since I have thyroid cancer in my family....i have to have this nodule out. Probably the whole gland.

Now I am wondering if my swollen neck glands should be biopsied and come out too??? Is it possible to get thyroid cancer in neck lymph nodes or salivary glands?

yes, my ride has been weird as well.

Last edited by golfhat; 01-07-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
(female)

REE77 HB User

Well had the total body scan and it looks good. Dr went over it with me and I had to repeat to him twice "so it looks good?" because they dont use words we are looking for like it didnt spread, they just say it looks good. Here is the weird part, when he was done telling me I mentioned that I had the FNA of the neck node done & he was unaware of that which I guess he really wouldnt have known as I was there for the tyroid follow up, he was glad I mentioned it cuz he said that could determine the dosage etc. I explained that the Dr. was referring me to a Dr at cancer hosp. here & he then called to talk to my Dr to discuss the path results of that biopsy. He wasnt sure if they wanted to start RAI before I saw the other Dr. He then came back & said the neck thing isnt related to my thyroid. I am assuming that he says that because he said there was no thyroid tissue in it. My question is if the scan looked good & there was CA in that neck area wouldnt that have shown as a hot spot? I said to him well then what is the neck thing? He said the new Dr can give an opinion on that , he doesnt believe that is thyroid related. Can anyone tell me if my thinking is right? Wouldnt a hot spot have shown on the scan if there was something wrong in the neck area? SO CONFUSED , I thought that the purpose of that total scan shows if CA is anywhere else, any info greatly appreciated, thanks. I will begin RAI on Friday so thats good & I wa sglad about the scan! REE

Old 01-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

This doctor is limited to nuclear medicine, and thyroid cancer behaves in a certain way when you use radioiodine, so maybe the doctor was able to conclude based upon that that the neck thing is not responsive to the radioactive iodine, so it's not thyroid cancer--that's about all that he can conclude, so he'll let you follow up with the other doctor on the other thing.
If you had thyroid tissue anywhere in the body, it would show on that scan, but no other cancers..

Old 01-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
(female)

REE77 HB User

Sorry but still confused. So the total body scan only shows if there is thyroid cancer, like thyroid tissue in the body following surgery? I thought that it would show if there was a spread in the body to anywhere? Does this mean when they say the scan looks ok it just means that there was no spread of thyroid cancer to other parts? Man how confusing because I thought this meant that I had thyroid cancer & it was removed and didnt spread, is my thinking correct? I will ask more questions when I go for RAI friday

Closed Thread