It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

scinamon HB User
Hashimoto's and mercury fillings

I have Hashimoto's (diagnosed last Nov.) and my doctor says that it is likely caused by mercury fillings...I have 7 fillings. He is recommending removing them and it will most likey clear it up. My thyroid antibody level is almost 3000! My TSH is around 5.35. I am on natural thyroid and I do feel much better than I have. My hair is falling out but it seems to grow back as i feel stubble at times. Anyone have any advice or experience about the mercury fillings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Hashimoto's and mercury fillings

WHAT? YOUR MD IS AN IDIOT!

Sorry but Mercury Amalgum (sp) fillings do not cause Hashimoto's or there would be more people running about with it.

Hashimoto's is a genetically dominant thyroid condition that is permanent. It does not go away. What you need is an MD that has something between his/her ears that doesn't rattle! You need proactive treatment and management so that you do not suffer unnecessary angst as your immune system systematically kills off your thyroid.

I had 4 MA fillings. These were replaced with composites over time. My Hashimoto's came on after my MA fillings were long gone. What is the source? My mother and her mother and her four sisters and aunt... my father's line as well aunts and cousins... I had no chance.

You have Hashimoto's, this is a fact. There is an 80% chance that it is passed on between females of a family line, FACT. It is activated by periods of extreme hormonal flux (puberty, pregnancy, menopause) and certain viruses and drugs.. FACT. There is less chance a male will get it 20% versus 80%. My mom is one of 8 surviving children (5 females and three males) All the females have Graves, Hashimoto's or a combination of both. My Uncles clean not a bit of thyroid dysfunction in them.. yet.

You can have both Graves and Hashimoto's this MD of yours probably will deny that, but I can show him five different lab reports proving it. After an extensive medical journal database search... THERE IS NO MEDICAL PROOF OR STUDY that links MA fillings as a cause of Hashimoto's!!! Man does this MD need a reality check. Does this MD believe if you hold a vial of TPOAbs that yours will transfer via osmosis into the vial and go away? Humm? UGH! I thought I had heard it all. *snort* You need a new MD and you need to treat your Hashimoto's not visit a dentist.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 01-07-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I am of the opinion that mercury is never a good thing to have in one's body. And I do think it probably contributes to autoimmune problems in ways that aren't fully understood yet. But if you're like me, and would be financially strapped by having that much dental work at once, don't rush to have this done.
Here's why:

Your Hashimoto's will NOT magically disappear, and your thyroid surely will NOT recover just by having that mercury gone. Your thyroid gland has already suffered destruction by the antibodies. It will not regenerate. If you're already at the point that you need to replace your thyroid hormone from a pill, you will NOT benefit from replacing your fillings in the way this MD has told you.

Could you benefit in other ways? ... Say, by preventing the onset of other autoimmune diseases? Doubtful. Science doesn't yet know. And for you, that horse is already out of the barn anyway.

As my fillings deteriorate and need to be replaced, I make sure they are replaced with non-mercury ones. But I won't make a special effort to replace them all at once, because to me - the cost to benefit ratio isn't favorable.

Last edited by midwest1; 01-07-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
(female)

scinamon HB User

I have done some research and it appears that mercury fillings do have an effect on the thyroid. Once the filings are removed you have to do chelation therapy to remove the mercury toxins out of the body. I know it will not be a cure for hypothyroid but it should help with Hashi. by relieving the bodies autoimmune response to the foreign substance in the body. My doctor is an alternative medicine doctor. I am going to try this, I have nothing to lose. I will keep you all posted as to the results.

Last edited by scinamon; 01-07-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
(female)

No Hope HB User

I have Hashimoto's for 8 yrs. I had all mercury removed over 5 yrs ago. Didn't change a thing. Was put on synthetic thryoid because Endo. & doctor said w/Hashimoto's you can't take natural because your body thinks it is making it and it doesn't work. Mine did not level out until I was on synthetic about 6 mos. I would still have mercury removed because I think it still does things to your body.

Closed Thread