It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Nasal congestion and hypothyroidism?

I've recently been reading how hypothyroidism can cause nasal congestion and chronic rhinitis, which can cause sinus infections. I'm thinking this is my problem. So now I'm wondering if I should just stop the antibiotics since it seems nothing will help until my thryoid is balanced again. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
(female)

tired47 HB User
Re: Nasal congestion and hypothyroidism?

If you stop antibiotics it will only get worse...

I have lots of sinus infections and am low normal hypo. I went thru lots of antibiotics with no resolution, steriods, ect. Finally had sinus surgery and STILL have infections, just easier to get rid of now. Hope you find an answer... if so pass it on to me.
I think our immunity is lowered, I seem to be sick alot and I was NEVER sick before!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I'm starting to get bad side effects from the antibiotic (shoulder pain), so I'm stopping. This antibiotic has had many bad reviews for causing tendon ruptures, so I'm not taking any chances on permanent damage. Unfortunately, I"m allergic to all other antibiotics except Z-pack, so not sure what to do now.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Just a suggestion... Start routinely "washing" out your nose. In many parts of the world, nasal lavage is as common as toothbrushing. It makes sense... Lots of dirt is inhaled every day, and secretions build up. All that debris fosters infection. (I'm a conspiracist at heart, so I think it isn't recommended here more because infection a money-maker for doctors.)

I used to get at least 2 sinus infections a year, but I haven't had one in more than 2 years since I started regularly rinsing my nasal passages with saline. Research "nasal lavage".

Old 01-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I've actually been doing a nasal rinse several times a day for the last few months. I have a neilmed bottle. Nothing seems to be clearing it up though.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
(male)

gentle HB User

Hey all I'm new hear. I've been dealing with what my doctor believes is vasomotor rhinitis for about two months now. It all started in early November when I went on a trip to NYC (I'm from Wisconsin), I was just getting over a week long cold though my sore throat was nearly gone. Well that all changed after one night in that hotel room, we stayed at a cheap place and they used what looked like dark pink urinal cakes stashed in the closet and the bathroom for I'm not sure what. Either deodorizer or to keep the roaches out, not sure but I woke up the next morning with a really sore throat, felt stripped and raw and actually poisoned, before bed the second night I searched the room and got rid of all of those pink things though the smell was still somewhat in the room. Stayed there a couple more nights and went home still with the sore throat though it wasn't as bad as that first morning.

After I got home the sore throat eventually stopped being raw and sore but this tickling feeling with phlegm which I believe is nasal drip persisted. I finally went to the doctor and he mentioned that he thinks it might be rhinitis. Not sure though because after I got out of that hotel room the symptoms were more annoying than painful. I should also state that I've always had a deviated septum and growing up my nose has always been somewhat stuffy, especially my left nostril, and for the past couple of years I've coughed up phlegm every day, but never the tickling sensation all day with the need to cough of clear my throat throughout the day. So the doctor prescribed fluticasone and I use that every night before bed after I use saline spray to irrigate. I'm still not convinced it's rhinitis though because my nose was never really runny and not really more stuffed than it always had been, and I haven't sneezed all that much, my eyes haven't been all that itchy, it was just basically the chemically induced sore throat that turned into the nasal drip.

I should also state that I am a gay man and suffer from anxiety every time I have something that won't go away, thinking I might be hiv positive or something. I've been very safe in my sexual practices save for the occasion unprotected oral encounter, though when I first went online to research rhinitis I noticed that there was something called hiv rhinitis which basically sent me into a tailspin of anxiety and I've been dealing with that for a couple of weeks on top of the rhinitis.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

I've had pretty good luck using NAC (n-acetyl-L-cysteine), 600 mg, twice a day. By no means perfect, but I'm a LOT less congested. I use that along with a saline spray. I've had serious sinus problems since I was pre-teen. Maybe my whole life because I constantly got tonsil infections when I was little. Got rid of those nasty buggers when I was around 7 years old. I can't remember the last time my sinuses were clear, if they ever were.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
(female)

maple3 HB User

If you come back to NY, go to the Callen Lorde Health center on West 18th St.
They will set you straight (Opps, poor choice of words)...seriously, it's a whole
medical building for gays, trannies, etc. and you would be so comfortable talking
to and seeing someone there. Stress is not good for your health either. Good
luck....

Old 03-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
(female)

tracyjane HB User

Please read on -- I describe strongest triggers for my nonallergic rhinitis, treatment option, and connection to thyroid.

I get non-allergic nasal congestion on/off, since in my 30s (I'm now 45). It usually passes within a day but last year I suffered with it for MONTHS (January through April) following a 2-week visit to a relative's house...saw several docs, had 2 rounds of antibiotics, tried antihistamines and decongestants and even a steroid spray (briefly, did not want that), had CT scan of sinuses looking for polyps or growths (none), saw allergist who did skin test and tells me I'm not allergic to ANYTHING.

I did finally catch onto what are my worst TRIGGERS: Though technically there are not "allergies" in my case (per tests by allergist) I do have sensitivities that start the sneezing and congestion. If you have non-allergic rhinitis these may well be your triggers, too.
FEBREEZE is the worst and it's in a lot of stuff. I avoid it and all scented laundry detergents and cleaners. Do some searches and you'll find LOTS of folks have problems with Febreeze and related chemicals.
DUSTING SPRAY - like Pledge.
So hotel rooms are horrible for me -- they usually use both in their cleaning practices.
VARNISH and WOOD GLUE products -- Several years ago I had similar episode after we had Pergo flooring installed....geesh, took months for the chemicals to outgas and I was congested the whole time. When we recently stained some new windows, the stain did not bother me but the VARNISH did cause me to sneeze and clog up.

THE GOOD NEWS: What effectively cured me almost instantaneously last year was a visit to an acupuncturist. I was soooo skeptical, even though I'm a believer in alternative medicine and a huge skeptic about traditional medicine. But within hour of first visit with needle treatment and several herbs, my nose was dry as a bone and I have witnesses who will confirm it and who were as amazed as me. I continued for a few sessions but now I have discovered that just one of the herbs does the trick and I only take it on occasion if the sneezing starts. The one that works best is called Xiang li bi min kan wan, but it is hard to find. Comes in a capsule. But it WORKS. Made from plant products.

REAL CAUSE - THYROID? So maybe there is a reason my nose is hyper-sensitive to these chemicals....Now I have just recently had thyroid troubles confirmed (I have suspected problems in the past but tests have always showed normal level, though on low side). I have suspicious nodules (with hurthle cells)...am having my thyroid removed later this month. They will take out the whole thing. (My sister just had hers out and it was cancerous and very enlarged.) I feel strongly the hyper-sensitive nose is connected to the thyroid issue. We will see after the surgery and once I get the dose of synthroid regulated.

Good luck to anyone suffering from non-allergic rhinitis....please consider trying acupuncture/herbs and getting thorough thyroid screening before you start using daily doses of things like steroid sprays and antihistamines. The problem is not histamine related if there is no "allergy" underneath. I'm proof that there is a remedy without daily prescription or even OTC drugs (and they did not work at all for me anyway).

Old 04-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
(male)

eezeekial HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyjane View Post
Please read on -- I describe strongest triggers for my nonallergic rhinitis, treatment option, and connection to thyroid.

I get non-allergic nasal congestion on/off, since in my 30s (I'm now 45). It usually passes within a day but last year I suffered with it for MONTHS (January through April) following a 2-week visit to a relative's house...saw several docs, had 2 rounds of antibiotics, tried antihistamines and decongestants and even a steroid spray (briefly, did not want that), had CT scan of sinuses looking for polyps or growths (none), saw allergist who did skin test and tells me I'm not allergic to ANYTHING.

I did finally catch onto what are my worst TRIGGERS: Though technically there are not "allergies" in my case (per tests by allergist) I do have sensitivities that start the sneezing and congestion. If you have non-allergic rhinitis these may well be your triggers, too.
FEBREEZE is the worst and it's in a lot of stuff. I avoid it and all scented laundry detergents and cleaners. Do some searches and you'll find LOTS of folks have problems with Febreeze and related chemicals.
DUSTING SPRAY - like Pledge.
So hotel rooms are horrible for me -- they usually use both in their cleaning practices.
VARNISH and WOOD GLUE products -- Several years ago I had similar episode after we had Pergo flooring installed....geesh, took months for the chemicals to outgas and I was congested the whole time. When we recently stained some new windows, the stain did not bother me but the VARNISH did cause me to sneeze and clog up.

THE GOOD NEWS: What effectively cured me almost instantaneously last year was a visit to an acupuncturist. I was soooo skeptical, even though I'm a believer in alternative medicine and a huge skeptic about traditional medicine. But within hour of first visit with needle treatment and several herbs, my nose was dry as a bone and I have witnesses who will confirm it and who were as amazed as me. I continued for a few sessions but now I have discovered that just one of the herbs does the trick and I only take it on occasion if the sneezing starts. The one that works best is called Xiang li bi min kan wan, but it is hard to find. Comes in a capsule. But it WORKS. Made from plant products.

REAL CAUSE - THYROID? So maybe there is a reason my nose is hyper-sensitive to these chemicals....Now I have just recently had thyroid troubles confirmed (I have suspected problems in the past but tests have always showed normal level, though on low side). I have suspicious nodules (with hurthle cells)...am having my thyroid removed later this month. They will take out the whole thing. (My sister just had hers out and it was cancerous and very enlarged.) I feel strongly the hyper-sensitive nose is connected to the thyroid issue. We will see after the surgery and once I get the dose of synthroid regulated.

Good luck to anyone suffering from non-allergic rhinitis....please consider trying acupuncture/herbs and getting thorough thyroid screening before you start using daily doses of things like steroid sprays and antihistamines. The problem is not histamine related if there is no "allergy" underneath. I'm proof that there is a remedy without daily prescription or even OTC drugs (and they did not work at all for me anyway).
I just ordered that herb. Cant wait to try it and see if it helps me out. I was diagnosed with VMR last week. Been suffering from it for almost every night for the past 2 years. I also ordered Sinol too.

Closed Thread