It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
(female)

Ditzygrl09 HB User
my hair is really dry and brittle and breaking really bad

my hair is really dry and brittle, and has been breaking really bad, and is getting worse, but i don't do anything to it heat wise. Why is this happening? i have hypothyroidism, but i am on medication for it.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Re: my hair is really dry and brittle and breaking really bad

Ditzy-I have hypo too, due to hashi's. My hair is a struggle-it used to be so thick, shiny,strong etc now it is dry, brittle, frizzed. Why this is so , I cannot determine. The docs won't conclusively say whether it is the hypo, meno or low ferritin(iron stores). I did have a ferritin around 35 and have supplemented it to 56, and will continue for now to supplement till dr. says stop or taper off. Apparently they want me to get the ferritin up and see if that helps.
So, I would say if you haven't done so--get your ferritin level checked. Even if you are not anemic, low ferritin will supposedly affect your hair.
Hopefully someone else will have more info for you. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
(female)

gregsbabe12 HB User

I use 4000mg of Biotin. Has worked wonders on my hair.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

My hair is strange too. The top from the crown area is like that yet from midpoint below the crown it's "normal" as in straight and thick as it used to be. The hair that is growing in from points it falls out comes back in that strange, zig-zag pattern.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

Osteo, what is your ferritin level? Mine is 73 with a reference range of 10-232. Mine sounds low but the endo who did the tests didn't even mention it last appointment. I wonder if this has anything to do with our hair quality. I'm now (THANK YOU HASHI'S) early post menopausal on estradiol replacement and that hasn't done a thing to change this. I haven't had a period since Oct. 2007 so it can't be that.

How about you, Ditzy?

Old 01-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: my hair is really dry and brittle and breaking really bad

Before I had one enlarged, non-cancerous thy lobe removed 3+ years ago, my stylist noticed the dryness. Started using "Loreal Professional - absolute repair" (<- on-line purchases only unless you find it at a "select" salon for MORE $$) with good results. Since Oct 05 Thy surgery, my hair has been pretty good. Last summer "The Mad scienctist" (eeRr DOCTOR} took me off Cytomel and my T3's dropped to rock bottom. Hair was back to SUPER dry. Seeing a new Doctor who knows the h-u-g-e difference between "Normal" and OPTIMAL & with mid-range t3/t4's my hair is back to good

So Ditzygirl my question would be: how are your labs? The only hypo-thy med I ever had breakage with was Levothyroxine (my opinion: generic *IS* crap for these meds) So what are you taking??

SophiesMom ~ Ferritin of 70 is good according to my Thyroid books. I got mine from 33 to 74 by eating Cream-0-Wheat cereal (60% of daily iron right there) & taking prenatal vitamins.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiesmom59 View Post
Osteo, what is your ferritin level? Mine is 73 with a reference range of 10-232. Mine sounds low but the endo who did the tests didn't even mention it last appointment. I wonder if this has anything to do with our hair quality. I'm now (THANK YOU HASHI'S) early post menopausal on estradiol replacement and that hasn't done a thing to change this. I haven't had a period since Oct. 2007 so it can't be that.

How about you, Ditzy?
Your Ferritin is 28% of normal range. Making sure that you are on a multivitamin or getting an addition 30 mg of ferrous fumarate may help with your hair issue. Low/suboptimal ferritin levels is known to cause heavy hair loss/shedding, delayed and sporadic hair growth and brittleness, and fatigue. Given your level a boost in your iron intake would probably help you.

Any hypothyroid patient that is suffering from hair loss and symptoms needs to look into their mineral balances and level as well as if they are OPTIMAL in Ft3 and Ft4 range. You can be taking thyroid medication and NOT be treated optimally. It is so easy to get into NORMAL range with thyroid medication. Getting to your OPTIMAL level takes a lot of work and finesse.

MG

Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

MG-With a Ferritin range of 10-290, what level do you think is right for a post meno woman? I had a previous dr. stop my supplementing at 58, current doc is thinking more around 100 as a target. What's your take on this? Also, I do not think it is just low iron because of loss of outer 1/3 of eyebrows and lashes, isn't this possibly more of hashi's thing...and possibly the low t3 that I just can't seem to raise despite now being very high t4 and tsh of .25. When I get the actual labs , they are being sent, I will post the percentage difference between t3 and t4 , but it is sizeable. I am thinking this is more of a low t3 thing.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Your Ferritin is 28% of normal range. Making sure that you are on a multivitamin or getting an addition 30 mg of ferrous fumarate may help with your hair issue. Low/suboptimal ferritin levels is known to cause heavy hair loss/shedding, delayed and sporadic hair growth and brittleness, and fatigue. Given your level a boost in your iron intake would probably help you.

Any hypothyroid patient that is suffering from hair loss and symptoms needs to look into their mineral balances and level as well as if they are OPTIMAL in Ft3 and Ft4 range. You can be taking thyroid medication and NOT be treated optimally. It is so easy to get into NORMAL range with thyroid medication. Getting to your OPTIMAL level takes a lot of work and finesse.

MG
At the time I had the testing done (last month), I was taking a multivitamin that had 100% of the daily iron requirement and eating an oat cereal that had a high iron content for breakfast. Will be buying that Cream of Wheat tomorrow though. I used to eat it at the recommendation of my gyno after childbirth when they found I had low ferritin then.

The new, better multivitamin I'm taking only has 23% iron in it. I've been taking it for a couple of weeks now. The other morning I woke up with a canker sore in my mouth. I broke out with 2 of these during the height of thyroiditis attack I had last September. I looked up the canker sores and lo and behold, they can be caused by low ferritin. After reading this, I took a supplemental iron tablet (fumerate) immediately this afternoon.

I did have a strange T3 Total number from last month though. It was 109 (ref. 97-219 ng/dL) coupled with a high T3 uptake of 32 (22-35%) and my hair seems to have gotten much worse since I started the estradiol supplement back in October. I thought it would have the opposite effect but it didn't. I'm not on thyroid replacement at all but I sure feel like I could use it.

I'll post the rest of the strange test results in a new post. Maybe it is the T3 causing the frazzled hair syndrome? Sure seems like it from the posts.

Again, thanks MG. I've been trying hard to research and correct all these nutritional deficiencies this thyroid problem has created. It's frustrating.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

osteoblast;

MG-With a Ferritin range of 10-290, what level do you think is right for a post meno woman? I had a previous dr. stop my supplementing at 58, current doc is thinking more around 100 as a target. What's your take on this? 40 - 60% of normal.. 50% of your given range would be 150. 100 would be much better than 58.

Also, I do not think it is just low iron because of loss of outer 1/3 of eyebrows and lashes, isn't this possibly more of hashi's thing...and possibly the low t3 that I just can't seem to raise

The eyebrows are classic hypothyroid in nature. It is most likely a result of your low T3 levels.

MG

Old 01-22-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

MG- Yes, this time I am going to supplement to a ferritin of at least 100. Do you think that the low ferritin could possibly be contributing to my inability to convert t4 to t3? As to the outer 1/3 of the eyebrow phenomena probably linked to the low t3, what can I do to get the t3 up? I have been taking selenium for the last 2 yrs. I recently added zinc which a compounding pharmacist told me could help with the t4 to t3 conversion. Other than taking a t3.....is there anything else that we low t3 folks can do to get the t3 up and maybe the eyebrows back???
Sophiesmom-me too on the estradiol , now for about 6 months though the first few months the dose was too low and was raised slowly. Anyway, it has done nothing for my hair either. I think MG is right about the t3 and iron being critical.

Last edited by osteoblast; 01-22-2009 at 11:34 PM.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:46 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Iron, Selenium, B12 play a role in T4 to T3 conversion. If however your low T3 is due to Reverse T3 dominance due to an incorrect conversion mechanism.. well the only way to get the T3 level up then is to supplement with T3.

Are you on a T3 supplement Osteo?

MG

Old 01-23-2009, 06:46 AM   #13
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

I've never had a reverse T3 test yet. Is this something I should have? My T3 uptake is 32% when 35% is the top of the range.

Osteo, have you used the prometrium yet? I start that added for 10 days starting next month. Any advice if you have?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sophiesmom,

The T3 Uptake just tells you how well you are taking up and moving about your T4. In a perfect world all the T4 that is taken up and moved would be converted to T3.. however some people do not convert it well and end up making the inert Reverse T3 form instead.

You should have a RT3 test run IF your Ft3 levels tend to be more than 10% lower than your Ft4 levels.

MG

Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

MG-Yes, I should have the reverse t3 test since the discrepancy between my t3 and t4 levels is way greater than 10%--t3 the lagging one of course. I don't know why my endo hasn't suggested this since I have been commenting to her about the low t3 for about a yr. now. Why wouldn't a dr. just do it? Is it thought to be old school?? Last night I did some research on "poor t4 to t3 conversion" and someone quoted from a journal article how selenium of 5x greater than rda can actually inhibit t4 to t3 conversion in humans (apparently prior rat studies did not show this effect). I am taking 200 mcg because of tpo ab over 1,000. Maybe the selenium is screwing up the conversion??? Have you heard anything about this? Also in one article it said 2 out of 3 thyroid patients has a conversion issue. One of the things I do not like about the idea of supplementing t3 is the rush of t3 entering and leaving the system. My prior exp with a few days of cytomel at 2.5mcg was bad-a speedy feeling I didn't like. If my dr. would agree to getting the sustained release from a compounding pharmacy I would feel better about the t3. Do you know anything about sustained release? Seems some mds hate compounding pharmacies--or shall we say fear them.
Sophiesmom-Let's talk about the prometrium experience at the menopause board. I will put a post there now.

Closed Thread