It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
(female)

jimmyswife08 HB User
Multiple nodules and worried. Help, All Alone!

In 2006, my family doc noticed that my thyroid was enlarged so he ordered an u/s and found that my left thyroid had 2 small nodules but would monitor it. Symptoms came and left but in 2008 they returned with a BANG and my doc ordered lab work and another u/s thus the results are below. As of yesterday, I saw an endo and he performed another u/s and would like to biopsy 2 of the nodules, 1 on the left and 1 on the right because he saw fluid in them. My concern here is as typical as anyone else, all my levels from labs are normal except my TSH keeps going lower thus diagnosing me with HyperT... I am scared, is there any advice out there?

1) 2 hypoechoic to cystic masses at the lower pole measuring 3mm each.
2) 4 small hypoechoic to cystic masses extending from the upper pole to the
lower pole laterally measuring 5mm and less.
3) The isthmus appears within normal limits.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Multiple nodules and worried. Help, All Alone!

Get tested for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The blood tests are TPOAb and TGAb.

It is the most common source of multinodular goiters and known to cause temporary hyperT swings before the final hypoT plunge. Hashimoto's is the thyroid autoimmune destruction disease. It is in about 12.6% of the population and is a roller coaster ride into hypothyroidism. In most cases nodules form and those nodules tend to be benign.

You also need to start following your own lab work closely. Make sure your MD is not just looking at the TSH. Get copies of your labs and post them here if you like. Many of us can help you with the basic calculations involved in interpreting them. Most MDs look at the value and unless it is out of range say you are normal.. despite the presence of symptoms. This is just plain laziness IMO.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User

I echo what MKG says. Be sure you follow up with the Dr.s. In most cases, multinodular goiters are a GOOD thing because they're rarely cancer. But if they want to biopsy, make sure you get it done quickly. Keep us updated and we'll try to help walk you through everything. I just went through all this a few months ago. We're all here for ya.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Hi,

I had nodules with normal labs.....I have a multinodular goiter depending on who does my ultrasound. My antibodies are normal but my Endo feels I have Hashi's. I am on medication to suppress them now going for 2 years. All is good. I get monitored every 6 months to a year..........

I was terrified when they were found.........stay as calm as you can ......good luck.........Oleander

Old 01-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
(female)

jimmyswife08 HB User

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! I will surely keep you updated.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
(female)

jimmyswife08 HB User

I'm just concerned about the biopsy, the thought of needles poking my neck is scary and then of course the waiting period and then hopefully treatment. I have a question for you and hope you can help. I am currently on xanax since my docs can't treat my thyroid problems yet and it does help a bit but feel I must take it ritually or else feel awful. The symptoms I really suffer from daily are, fatigue/dizziness/staring/blurred vision/pain in my head, not really a headache/tightness all around my neck and upper jaw line/shortness of breathe/trembling or shaking/tingling sensations/cold and hot intolerance/both insomnia and tiredness/feeling of lump in throat especially swallowing/muscle spasms/stomach discomfort especially after eating...The list can go on and on.
Have you suffered with any if not all these symptoms and has the meds prescribed helped out with them?
Thanks greatly!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User

The biopsy scared me a LOT as well. It's a nerve wracking procedure, but they usually numb you for a FNB. Don't be surprised when they push the needle in and out a bunch of times. they're trying to push cells up into the needle shaft. Don't ask me why, it just seems like more torture to me, haha.

Yes, the thyroid meds DO help several of those sypmtoms. I still get tired and achy at times, but it's so much better than w/o the medication. I haven't heard of taking Xanax for it, but I hope it lessens the symptoms a little. When all this is over and you can take thyroid meds, you should feel lots better. There's a light at the end of the tunnel!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
(female)

jimmyswife08 HB User

I'm just wondering what are hot or cold nodules indicate? I have 2 nodules on my left and 4 on the right. The right side is where the enlarged goiter is and it is obvious when you look at me. I'm taking my uptake and scan the next two days starting tomorrow and was wondering what they would be looking for? Have you had this test?
Thanks much!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Hot means the nodule is functional and outputting an excessive amount of thyroid hormone. A cold nodule is a zone of tissue that is dead and not taking any iodine in for thyroid hormone synthesis. Hot nodules are common in hyperthyroid sufferers. Cold nodules are common in Hashimoto's patients.. however MDs worry more over the cold nodules thinking it is an increased cancer risk.

MG

Closed Thread