HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Recent News-High Fructose Corn Syrup,Mercury and Auto Immune Disease (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/666474-recent-news-high-fructose-corn-syrup-mercury-auto-immune-disease.html)

osteoblast 01-28-2009 12:00 PM

Recent News-High Fructose Corn Syrup,Mercury and Auto Immune Disease

On the news yesterday, they had a segment on mercury being found in 1/3 of the grocery products that they sampled which contained high fructose corn syrup (hfcs) listed as either the first or second ingredient.I later heard on the news, that the ave. American gets around 12 teaspons of hfcs a day.
I thought about those of us with autoimmune diseases and how our systems are trip wired to be over active and wondered how the mercury in hfcs would affect us . As we all know preg women are to avoid merc. due to risk of neurological damage to the developing baby.The news segment mentioned that preg women should take into account these other sources of mercury in hfcs as well as mercury in fish.I have just started doing some research about hfcs and autoimmune , alot of articles came up.
Hfcs with its mercury is certainly something for those of us with autoimmune conditions to be aware of and to learn more about. Hfcs is found in so many products-barbecue sauce, peanut butter, drinks of various sorts, ketchup, you name it.

macs4life06 01-28-2009 01:55 PM

Re: Recent News-High Fructose Corn Syrup,Mercury and Auto Immune Disease

Thanks Osteoblast- that is very good to know. Recently Glamour magazine had a huge article on Autoimmune Disease & how it is almost becoming an epidemic in this country. They interviewed a few health professionals who said they felt the number of chemicals in processed foods were contributing to the problem. Also, it was stated that during autopsies high levels of potentially toxic chemicals were found in human bodies. Then one representative of a health org (funded by big corporations) stated that just because there were high levels of chemicals in human bodies didn't mean it was harmful. Huh???

cossette2 01-28-2009 03:26 PM

I heard this news about the high-fructose corn syrup this morning as well. One item that surprised me was an instant oatmeal bar which contained mercury. It's another reminder to buy most of your groceries from the outer rim of the grocery store and avoid pre-packaged processed foods as much as possible.

golfhat 01-28-2009 06:24 PM

Did anyone really think that all these dyes, additives, preservatives, and the change from real sugar to fructose WOULDN'T have an adverse effect?

We are reaping what the FDA is sowing [I]and [/I]allowing the American public to consume, especiallly young children. Have you noticed how fat everyone is now> And kids too.---I cannot figure out why we have to have all this mercury in stuff especially vaccinations.

I am due for thyroid surgery. I have a large mass and a cyst and yet my thyroid blood work is 'normal." Then how come i grew this tumor?

No one seems to be able to explain THAT one.

I look at all women now and check their necks for growths, literally. it is like my new hobby. You can't see mine but my doc said j[U]ust give it time.[/U] it would show up in 6 months or so and then i would be screaming for surgery.

Plus I have swollen lymph nodes and i am so afraid that I have cancer and it has already spread.

Audrey-B 01-29-2009 12:33 AM

One reason why i cook all my own meals, i rarely buy anything in a can or a bottle. My mother still grows most of her own vegetables and i try to grow as much lettuce on my balcony. When i visit her she will give me fresh stuff which she has grown. So many people who actually have backyards simply mow the lawn every weekend. Why not grow some basic vegetables as it provides exercise and you can get your kids involved too. Things like lettuces, cucumbers and beans don't even need pesticides to keep the instects off them. I've also gotten my mum into growing a mixed variety of lettuce, especially the red leafed ones as having fresh foods with many different colours is very healthy.

I have found a company which does a gluten free tomato sauce, but the first ingredient is 'sugar syrup', but i don't know from where they've obtained the 'sugar'. I only use tomato sauce very rarely and keep it on hand for visitors. If i've made my own burgers, instead of putting tomato sauce on my burger, i'll cut up an actual tomato and put a slice on.

I don't buy those meusili bars etc. I'll make my own things as a treat or i'll buy a mixture of almond, brazil, pistachio etc etc nuts and add in some pumpkin seeds, wasabi peas and dried fruits and snack on that instead. I have a little handbag sized container which i'll carry around with me.

You just have to read, read and read labels, don't buy convenience foods, cook as much as you can, try growing your own and incorporating foods you didn't think of even eating eg: soak your own chik peas and then boil them. They are so tasy in salads, whith a main meal/casserol or as a snack on their own. You can visit a healthfood store to get some tips or find recipes on the net.

I recently found out how food additives can cause malabsorption of vital nutrients and stop iron absorption. When i did some research and found a whole listing from A - Z on all the different additives, colours, preservatives etc, it made me so mad.

At the end of the day these big companies get away with it because people are buying it. If we don't buy it, they can't sell it and therefore wont make it. We have to hit them where it hurts and that's the hip pocket . This is another reason why so many are against globalisation. The quality of everything has gone down the toilet and most people aren't interested until they end up allergic to something or have a health condition.

That's my rant :D Good post Osteo, just reinforces how vigilant we have to be!!

PandaBear777 01-29-2009 05:47 AM

For what it's worth this is what I've learned.

First lets start with that nasty mercury. It's poison. It can cause digestive problems and worse neurological problems. There are some "naturally occurring" forms that we're told may not be so bad in small amounts.... The government is now dictating that we all have to change our light bulbs to these flourescent bulbs. Read the back of the package - if one breaks you are to clear the room for 15 minutes to let the poisonous dust settle. Then forget the broom and DON'T touch the glass. They recommend you scoop it up with something like two pieces of cardboard. Then very carefully use a damp paper towel to blot up the reset of the glass and chemical residue. And most important don't leave any behind.....

I'm working on gluten free. I have Hashimotos Toxichosis. I learned the gluten has fed my malabsorption issues and caused all that nasty bloating in my stomach and breasts. Eliminating is supposed to help decrease my antibodies. (I'll let you know what I find out when the next set of labs is done in 6 weeks.) I've been working at eliminating gluten since Christmas and the bloating is gone and my energy has increased. BUT the stuff is ing everything we eat that's pre-packaged (well nearly everything - Look for modified food starch and malt or barley anything on the labels - those are the ones you'll see most often.)

High Fructose Corn Syrup is terrible for you. It's conscentrated Corn Syrup. You want to know what has sugar in it? Sucrose is table sugar. Fructose is plant sugar, it's in grapes, apples, potatoes, tomatoes, etc., it is good for you if it is unprocessed and in grapes, apples, potatoes, tomatoes, etc., because your body has to breakdown the fruit and absorb it. Honey is one form of pure Glucose, also a sugar. Again, it's not that bad for you in it's natural form with all the enzymes and other things that come with it in raw honey, but there's and age issue with small children having to do with their digestion. Conscentrated forms of any of these sugars means that our bodies receive more in a small amount and and we absorb it so much better - but is it? No, it messes with our pancreas and insulin levels for starters and goes much more quickly to our brains and our hips. (hint: if a chemical on a label ends in -ose or -ase it's some form of sugar - beware.) I'm working on eliminating most sugar from my diet, but I refuse to eat the artificial sweetners - they're not good for you either and will not help with weight loss. However, if you're diabetic you'll probably have to use some.

I stumbled on a book on diet. The author got sick of measuring and counting and just decided to eat what God made. She said in the forward that you don't have to buy the book just remember if God didn't make it don't eat it and stay away from gluten. The woman who wrote it happens to also be a doctor and has had good success with this with her diabetic, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure patients. I've only been eating this way for a week. It's not that hard and I can eat as much as I want. I'm already not as hungry, so I'm eating less because I crave less and I'm calmer too.

One other thing about those raging antibodies. I read that selenium is supposed to help calm them too. I'm taking 200mcg a day in a pill but read the other day that 3-4 Brazil nuts contain as much selenium as in the tablet I'm taking. I'll make that switch too.

Oh, and about the grocery bill, it's about the same as before the switch. Probably, lower if you take into account all those trips to the convenience store down the street from work for snacks - even the ones I thought were healthier choices....

Hope this helps.

mkgbrook 01-29-2009 06:28 AM

PandaBear,

That MD diet book you discussed matches what my nutritionist and MDs have been telling me. We need to return to the CAVE man diet. If you can not go out and kill it, cook it and eat it or gather it and cook/eat it you don't need it. They say the occasional bread and pasta is fine but fundamentally our bodies are made to most efficiently process and convert meat, fruit, and vegetables. All the pastas, breads, processed sugars, etc just go to the gut or hips.

Given I have a nutritionist attached at the hip these days and have to track every gram and ounce of food including sugar, protien, fiber, and fat content. Here are other pieces of food for thought.

We are not supposed to consume more than 30-50 g of sugar a day. ONE 12 ounce can of soda contains 39 g of sugar. That sugar in most cases is HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. ;)

Women are supposed to get 20-25 g of fiber a day, while men need another 10 g beyond that. How many of you are getting your fiber? A piece of fruit on average has 2 grams, veggies can have upto 4 grams a serving... meats none.. Whole grain breads are packed with fiber.. BUT we often don't need the gluten.

Depending on the kind of fat our maximum intake limit could be anything from 2 g to 20 g a day. Trans fats and polyunsaturated fats we should only consume 1-2 g a day. This equates to 5 french fries. Scary huh?

20-30% of any food intake is supposed to be meat/protein. When you snack do you get your protien or just carbs?

The best PROVEN way to get your metabolism up is to eat balanced portions of protien, fat, and carbs when you eat.. and of course DON'T over eat. Also our bodies are designed to take in more food early in the day and less late in the day. Also our bodies work most efficiently when meals are broken into smaller portions and spread out as 5-6 small meals/snacks a day. Eating in the 4-6 hours before bed period doesn't allow your body to convert the food into energy for use.. instead it is stored (converted to fat at genetically choice storage locations). Studies have noted that children eat in this pattern naturally before we influence them to break the habit. My son hates bread, pasta and sodas. He loves fruit veggies, and tolerates non-fried meat. ;) Now my kid would live off of candy if he could, but that isn't an option. Watching my son's dietary schedule and habits. He wakes and eats a LARGE breakfast at 6 am.. then at 9 am he is hunting a snack... at 11:45/12pm he has to eat lunch. At 3 pm he wants a snack and at 5 dinner. He goes to bed between 8 and 9 pm. We note that if this feeding schedule is disrupted behavior and over all energy levels suffer. All in all the Cave man diet is more natural to our body and physiology.

Good thread and discussion thyroid sufferers.. was going to type ladies, but we have some men that might want to join in.

MG

dream77 01-29-2009 10:52 AM

PandaBear and mkg (briefly though) mentioned the link to gluten,
Coz the only test that came out positive for me was antigliadin antobodies.. which is directly linked to neuropathy (my PRIMARY CONCERN) i have been off gluten for a month and plan to get back on the hunt for a good endo to track the thyroid and also if I am lucky enough one last try at a teaching hospital to find out if they can find the cause of the neuropathy..

I will post my results of the effects of no gluten on the thyroid and its friendly antibodies later when I have them.

osteoblast 01-29-2009 11:25 AM

So much good information and dietary tips are in this thread! I think the key points to the various posters suggestions may be summarized as:
Watch what you eat-read the labels, choose carefully,and have a Plan that will guide you
The Plan-maybe it's what God made, or avoidance of processed & packaged, or caveman
These are excellent suggestions and may actually come down to the same thing. I have also read it may be helpful to ask would your grandmother or great grandmother have had this available to eat--if not, don't eat it.
Do you others think that with our compromised autoimmune systems (with hashi's or graves) that it is super important to be vigilant??? I feel more at risk/vulnerable than the average person to toxic elements and contaminants-do you feel this way too? I don't know if I can head off another autoimmune disease by being careful with the food I ingest , proper exercise and dealing with stress but I think I have to at least try.

dream77 01-29-2009 12:39 PM

Osteo,
Your message echoes my thoughts on the subject..
I also think we need to be super resistant to comments and remarks passed by family..
I hear this one alot from inlaws which I have learn't to ignore or shrug off
"You eat so healthy but you still have problems .. " .. (so maybe you're insane and it doesn't matter what you eat).
Well I def agree that in general everyone should eat healthy and stay away from processed foods..
The auto immune hit/genetically predisposed to "issues" need to be SUPER vigilant..

Audrey-B 01-29-2009 01:17 PM

dream77 - i got that comment at work from my boss "you eat so healthy, yet you have so many tests and doctors appointments, maybe you should get some junk food into you and start smoking". That's his comment!! It totally ticks me off.

My gluten test came back 'slightly' elevated, but even so my doctor told me to ease off the gluten. I still have my toast at breakfast usually, then i don't eat bread at all throughout the day. I do like one biscuit with my cup of tea sometimes or when going out for a coffee with a friend it's hard to not have a piece of cake with it, but i have eliminated a lot of gluten. No more pasta or sandwiches at lunch.

I'm not a soda drink, never drink the stuff. I only have sweets (chocolate/biscuits/cake) as a treat. One of my cousins goes through an entire family sized block of chocolate in day. I can just imagine what's going on in her body!! I don't eat that fried, take away junk food stuff. I tend to mentally picture what all the fried and heavily sweet stuff is doing within the body and i for some reason always tend to visualise 'cancer' and it puts me off.

Where do most of you guys get your fibre from now, apart from fresh fruit and veg. I used to eat more wholegrain breads and cereals, now it just seems like rice and more rice. I'm not sure if this is sufficient.

mkgbrook 01-30-2009 05:44 AM

I get my fiber from oats and bran in addition to the fruits and veggies. I also use a fiber substitute. As to breads I make my own using locally ground specialty flours: oat, barley, and rye. I leave out the wheat gluten.

Rice is a decent means to get fiber as well. 1/4 cup = 2g of fiber which implies a cup is equal to 8 grams of fiber. Most bran cereals give you around 7 g of fiber a serving. Popcorn is a good source of fiber as well.

MG

cossette2 01-30-2009 06:23 AM

I'm glad you asked that question about fiber Audrey as you read my mind. I was going to mention that I eat a fair amount of legumes like chick peas, black beans, kidney beans and of course, green beans too. These are so good for you, a great source of fiber and tasty to boot. And if you're worried about gas being a problem, once you eat these on a regular basis, your body adjusts to them and gas pretty much stops. I make a chick pea salad with onions and dressing which is so easy and so tasty as a side dish or as a quick lunch. You can also make hummus with your beans like chickpeas and blackbeans and use it as a spread or dip for veggies. I make a big pot of soup regularly and i put in a can of black beans and it's really good! Hey, i'm getting hungry :)

PandaBear777 01-30-2009 07:44 AM

I like all this affirmation toward one another!

What have you all seen regarding our drinking water? Ever hear of Perchlorate? or seen the EPA info on it? Not to mention lead, mercury, and arsenic in the water.

I've gone to drinking and cooking only with distilled water or water that's been through reverse osmosis. I'm looking at changing to water that is more alkaline, they say it helps prevent cancer. There's certainly enough of that in my family to...scare the hair off a bear. lol.

midwest1 01-30-2009 01:33 PM

Something that ought to put all this worrying into perspective ~~

Cavemen had everything "pure" and "natural". No toxic chemicals, no drug residues in the water suppy, whole natural foods. Their average life expectancy was about 30 years.

I figure all those poisons really aren't hurting me all that much. Anything above that first 30 years of life is gravy.