It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
(female)

jnugent825 HB User
forgetting words or names

sometimes when I am talking, I will want to use a certain work but I won't be able to say it. I will know the definition and it will be a word I have used often, but at that moment it will not come to my mind. I have to think for a minute or two then the word comes. I am 57 years old, African American, with college degrees. It's so strange. It's not even big words it's the little ones.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User
Re: forgetting words or names

That's the infamous 'brain fog'. I had a TT in Sept due to thyroid cancer. I am on 150 mcg of synthroid. I've had this brain fog for ever so it seems....since all the thyroid issues. I'm hoping it will clear, soon. I'm not sure how long it goes on. Someone did mention that there would be a brain fog when I was off my meds before the RAI. It seems it hasn't improved. I keep hoping it will. I'm still pretty low on energy even though my Dr said the blood levels are fine. It will just take the body a while to catch up he said. Apparently, my mind has some catching up to do too! Good luck. Any one with hints on how to help improve the memory thing would be great. P.S...I'm only 39 and my memory has always been pretty good....until now.

mmmcoffee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
(female)

Luv2Travel HB User

I have the same thing. Sometimes I can't maintain my train of thought while talking and I grasp for words and names, too. It gets especially frustrating when I see the other person looking back at me like "why doesn't she hurry up and say what she's trying to say??". Other times, I'm fine. It's a scary thing, though because I'm only 45 and this is not normal for me. I was diagnosed hypoT about 2 years ago and I'm on meds, but the brain fog doesn't seem to be lifting! Sorry I can't offer any help, but just know you're not alone.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
(female)

deeddog HB User

I do the same thing. It has been happening for the last 2 years about the length of time I have felt bad. I can't remember the names of people I work with. Say I want to call someone, I know the person, but can't think of their name to look their number up on the phone list. It makes me feel so stupid. I forget small words too when I am talking. I know what I want to say, just can't think of the word. I'm so glad to know why I've been doing this. I've worried that I already had symptoms of alzhemiers.

I am 38... don't feel bad.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

From what I understand the thyroid can mimic a certain type of dementia. This dementia is reversible as soon as the thyroid issues are cleared up.

I had half my thyroid removed last week because of a large nodule and i can already tell a difference in several ways. My doc did the surgery because he was afraid I would be like my brother and have pappillary cancer. But fortunately I do not...

My mind seems to be working better already. I am much calmer too.
I am also not coughing nearly as much. I was driving myself and everyone else crazy with the coughing.

I hoped that I would no longer choke on food, but so far I am still being very careful with what I eat. For years I have had such a problem with the nodule pressing on the trachea.

I can lay down at night and rest easy because that old nodule is not there pressing on my windpipe! This is a wonderful feeling and has really eased pressure in my mind. I couldn't stop the tickle or the cough. I constantly sucked on a lozenge. Now it has all stopped.

Early in the day I have plenty of energy but about 2 or 3 my engine conks out. But, I am still getting over the surgery and getting used to having the one lobe do all the work. I guess it has to reset itself during the day or something.

My doc said sometimes you need meds with the one lobe left because the thyroid basically wears out. I am 59 so it won't surprise me if i need some meds. The head nurse on my floor said they do at least 3 or 4 thyroid surgeries a day. they have a whole hall just for those patients, just like heart and lung floors.

A lot of what women go thru in middle age and in menopause is because of a malfunctioning thyroid and/or nodules which are keeping the thyroid from doing it's job. You think you are going crazy but its your T-gland.

I read The 36-Hour Day about ALZ and Dementia and it said that this type of brain fog from thyroid issues is completely reversible. but you have to fix the T.

On the other hand, some brain fog just comes with the aging of the brain. At around 60 you notice it. It doesn't mean you have dementia, so don't panic.

Last edited by golfhat; 02-15-2009 at 01:13 PM.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

yes thyroid problems can cause this...when I was first hyperthyroid I would forget the next word I wanted to say. I even stuttered at times. I went down a one way street in the town I lived in for 30 years. I felt like an idiot! Now that I'm hypo, I have to write things down, or forget it. I have been taking acetyl L carnatine for the tsi antibodies and to not have any hyper symptoms. I have been on it for a month and the bottle says'cognitive support" and I feel like it's helping the memory too. There are also other supplements that might help.I wonder why it affects the memory like this?I probably used to know but forgot! LOL!

Old 02-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Oh for sure this is a thyroid disease symptom! I am shocking. When I'm working on the computer this happens to me constantly. I think 'right I'll just check that'... by the time I've click on my 'favourties' button I've forgotten what on earth I was going to do!

Another example (which gravesgirl has just reminded me of) is I was driving a couple of weeks ago (didnt realise that I'd gone VERY Hypo on my change over to Armour) and got to some traffic lights. I wanted to turn right and couldnt for the life of me work out what I had to do (again this was in my own town!) ... did I have right of way? was the car ahead going to turn the same was as me? if so how?? very weird and a bit scarey! As it was I ended up turning in front of the car that was hurtling towards me (they were in the right not me!!). Thankfully there was enough time for me to get out of their way but it just goes to show what this can do to you.

I also constantly forget words in the middle of a sentence... forget what i'm doing when I walk into a room... forget names... forget appointments... forget my keys... the list is absolutely endless!

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 02-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I used to have this happen until my doctor began supplementing me with Cortisol due to my Adrenal Glands not producing enough. I was in a constant brain fog, felt like i was hit by a bus, would mix my words up and would mix the lids off the sugar, tea/coffee, milk bottles/containers.

I was never more embarrased than when i was telling some friends about a recipe and i was supposed to say "rice", but i said "blood". I hadn't even realised what i'd done and they were all looking at me like i'd lost the plot. I did find i was a lot more forgetful than what i had previously been.

I'd say get your cortisol levels checked. I had a saliva test, but if you have a blood test make sure it's done around 8am, no meds or food prior to the test, only water if you have to. the cortisol has saved my sanity and i'm not even as remotely tired as i used to be. Also supplementing with cortisol, if you need it, makes your thyroid meds work better too as cortisol and thyroid health go hand in hand.

ps: just recalled something in my notes about Vit d and B12 being essential in thyroid and adrenal health. Maybe get those two things checked if you haven't already.

Last edited by Audrey-B; 02-15-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:10 AM   #9
(female)

Jacinta0001 HB User

I am really worried this past year whilst having a conversation I all of sudden don't know what to say and am lost with words.. And I end up not making any sense, Im starting to feel really stupid and I feel it's getting worse.. My memory is also not so good.. I'm a female and only 20yrs old, living in Australia, please HELP!!

Old 10-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi Jacinta, you need to see a doctor and have some tests run as it sounds quite serious and not something you want wrongly diagnosed on a healthboard.

With adrenal fatigue, due to the tiredness, it can mess with your memory and cognitive skills. I got very unco-ordinated, would zone out at the traffic lights and think they had turned green when they were still red, i used to more or less hallucinate that they were green and that traffic had begun moving. I had to really pay attention or end up in an accident. I was a bit vague and forgetful and mixed up my words at times. Once i began medication i was fine.

There are many other illnesses which can cause similar symptoms, that's why it's best to see a doctor and get everything tested. Not meaning to scare you, but i've seen cases on TV where some quite young people have had early onset dementia. Have you been diagnosed with a thyroid problem?

Some people have found that they were vague and spacey due to being anemic or low in ferritin (iron stores).

No matter what the condition, we can all be affected individually and not have exact same symptoms or severity. This is why it's so important for you to speak to a doctor first. Good luck

Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #11
(female)

mamahippo HB User

I have the same problem... I'm only 29

Last edited by mamahippo; 10-13-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:05 AM   #12
(female)

Jacinta0001 HB User

Hi Audrey,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, nothing too extreme has happened to me like that yet.. but it's nice to hear you are all better
No i dont have a thyroid disorder, i would like to get some tests done to ease my concision..(as you see when typing im o.k, it's just when im speaking it's worse) i guess i never thought of it as a problem because it's only recently started to annoy me.. but i will defiantly see my doctor because it does worry me, and i am pretty young too..

thanks so much for your help and advise

Last edited by Jacinta0001; 10-14-2009 at 06:08 AM.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

No problem, hope you find out what is causing it. Sometimes simply being low in ferritin can make us tired and things go a bit crazy. No matter what, get your doctor to check as many things as possible. Good luck

Old 10-15-2009, 05:24 AM   #14
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User

I suffer with this too... I can sit at a red light and question myself on whether red means stop or go.. I also take the same route everyday taking my daughter to school, I sometimes sit there in a brain fog asking myself which way should i go!! Like I can't remember my way home, it's crazy!!
My husband can't ask me to pass a message on because I'll forget, I can't remember what I had for dinner lastnight right now, but I know I'll remember in a little bit if i really sit and think.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
(male)

duke4542 HB User

I am an 18 year old boy and I believe that i have been suffering from "brain fog" for the last 5-6 months. I've always taken pride in my vocabulary and writing yet in the passing months I often find myself pausing from conversation for what seems to be minutes just to navigate around a certain (usually rudimentary) word that i have forgotten. I often agonize over forgotten words while by myself not because i need to use them, but because i am ashamed to have forgotten such words in the first place.

My sister recently had a thyroid operation...could it be genetic?--I hope that isn't a terribly stupid question.

Closed Thread