It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

tired47 HB User
muscle spasms anyone else/?

Does anyone else get bad muscle spasms off and off with their thyroid issue?
Trembling,waves of tightness especially in back and thighs??
I am hypothyroid and have PSVT of heart too.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
(female)

memawof3 HB User
Re: muscle spasms anyone else/?

yes!
i have been going through hell the last few weeks!
i noticed in the last few days, iam beginning to have a trembling feeling, and my my muscles in my thighs and lower legs is almost more than i can bear!!
i see my reg doc wed, iam in hopes i can find an answer to this!
my endo started me on synthyroid about 8 months ago, and uped my does from 100, to 112, and since then, i have complained to him more than once about my issues with the leg pain, and he says see my reg doc for that..
well, thats what iam doing wed!
but if he slofes it off too, iam going to be very upset!!
i just dont know what to do anymore??
i just dont want to feel like this!!!!!
theres got to be an answer somewere...
bren

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
(female)

tired47 HB User

memawof3,
Please post any info you receive here... I have had this off and on for 2 years. It is sometimes so bad I can't sleep, feel like my muscles are being pulled taught and then released- like a puppet on a string

My PCP says to try increase vitamin C to 2000 mg daily and increase calcium slightly... sometimes it helps. If I take to much calcium it suppresses my parathyroid we found after lots of tests/trial and error so I try to stay at 1000mg or less daily.

I have also done accupunture and massage therapy which helps somewhat.. but it always returns, especially at night!! Good luck and let me know what you discover at your appt.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

What about magnesium have you tried that? Maybe get your potassium levels checked too.Magnesium is a muscle relaxer.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
(female)

kscb30 HB User
Smile Re: muscle spasms anyone else/?

I haven't posted on this board for some time. I have had my thyroid removed for cancer. I have had muscles spasms mostly in my eyes in the form of twitching, while I was hypo.
Some other symptoms I had during that time which is hindsight now but now that I am currently medicated properly I feel wonderful and can attribute most of my issues to the hypothyroidism.
1. Aches and pains in the morning, pain when I first got out of bed
2. eye spasms, so bad people across a table would notice them.
3. Weight gain - of course
4. hair loss - which I still experience every time my endo. tweaks my dose of synthroid.
5. groggy tired feeling
6. Anxiety - very bad severe anxiety, which has completely subsided now
7. diarahea
8. Frequent and severe colds and viral infections
I was a mess for quite some time and as I said many of these symptoms I didn't even attribute to my thyroid- some I did but most not so I didn't even mention them to my Doctor. In my case my thyroid function affects my quality of life. It was a long road getting to where I am at now and many dose increases and adjustments, but I feel normal again.
If your thyroid bloodwork is off kilter you need to make sure you doctor addresses it and you give the meds time to kick in. A year ago today I would have never thought I would feel this good again. Good luck to you and all going through thyroid problems. It is not a fun journey to be on!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
(female)

memawof3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired47 View Post
memawof3,
Please post any info you receive here... I have had this off and on for 2 years. It is sometimes so bad I can't sleep, feel like my muscles are being pulled taught and then released- like a puppet on a string

My PCP says to try increase vitamin C to 2000 mg daily and increase calcium slightly... sometimes it helps. If I take to much calcium it suppresses my parathyroid we found after lots of tests/trial and error so I try to stay at 1000mg or less daily.

I have also done accupunture and massage therapy which helps somewhat.. but it always returns, especially at night!! Good luck and let me know what you discover at your appt.
i sure will!!!
iam like you, iam miserable!
ive tried about everything i know how..
i will let yo know!
bren

Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
(female)

beth67 HB User

kscb30, Good to hear a success story. What kind of thyroid medicine are you on. Everyone says Armour is much better than Synthroid which I'm on. I feel terrible but I do have other health issues but if I could get the thyroid thing in order it would be great. I also had thyroid cancer but supposedly clear now but my doctor is never satisfied and even though a pet scan came out clear in December she wants me to do another radioactive iodine scan which I really don't want to do. I feel so terrible during preparation and after swallowing the pill even though I did the thyrogen injection last time and didn't have to go hypo. Any input would be appreciated.

Beth

Old 02-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
(female)

memawof3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth67 View Post
kscb30, Good to hear a success story. What kind of thyroid medicine are you on. Everyone says Armour is much better than Synthroid which I'm on. I feel terrible but I do have other health issues but if I could get the thyroid thing in order it would be great. I also had thyroid cancer but supposedly clear now but my doctor is never satisfied and even though a pet scan came out clear in December she wants me to do another radioactive iodine scan which I really don't want to do. I feel so terrible during preparation and after swallowing the pill even though I did the thyrogen injection last time and didn't have to go hypo. Any input would be appreciated.

Beth
hi beth,
i wanted to tell you, i went to my endos office today..
i told the nurse how i was feeling, and she took some blood for another test!
i told her i was not going to take anymore synthroid until she calls me back..
i asked about droping my dose down to 100, from 112 to see if my symptoms improve..
tomarrow, i see my medical doc aswell..i sure do need answers...
just letting you know..
bren

Old 02-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
(female)

kscb30 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth67 View Post

Beth
Beth67 I am on synthroid having no thyroid at all my dosage right now is 150mg one day and then 175 the next day so I am averaging 162.5 mg, I think it is mg it might be mcg but you get the just of it. I am on the name brand Synthroid not a generic. I still notice when he tweaks my dose I lose a lot of hair even though I dont' go hypo at all - just a strange thing and par for the course. My TSH has been varying between .01 and 1.22 right now he is trying to get me to .1 without going below. I just can't tell you the myriad of symptoms I had before all this was in control. My tumor was small enough I never had to undergo RAI so I don't know that path at all which I am happy about. Hope this helps somewhat.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
(female)

memawof3 HB User
Question Re: muscle spasms anyone else/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired47 View Post
memawof3,

hi beth,
i told you i would let you know what i find out from my doctor..
well, iam disapointed right now myself!
my endo docs nurse took my bloodwork yesterday, and said she would call yesterday afternoon, or first thing this morning..well, i still have not hears from her! and its almost 6pm here..
so, i took it upon myself to cut my dose back to 100mcg from 112mcg.
i just dont know what to do??
i went to see my medical doctor today too, told him about all thats going on, havent seen him in almost a year, he asked a few quistions, and said see you in 6 months!
gee, i feel like iam out on a limb!!!!!!
so, what do i do, if i dont hear from my endo doc????
bren

Old 02-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

I had severe leg and foot cramps before I got my levels up. I'm still not quite optimal but I seldom have a cramp now. Also Synthroid can cause all kinds of aches and pain. It nearly crippled me before I changed to Armour.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
(female)

tired47 HB User

Memaw of 3,
Sorry to hear about your dr appt. We get SO excited waiting for the appt, thinking we are finally going to get the help we desperately want and need... and nothing. I have left appts in tears, so frustrating.

However I refuse to give up.. If this dr doesn't "cut" it and help me I move on... I get out my insurance and make appt for next on list.
I am building a team, and only good, solid informative drs. can be on my team to get well. Been thru quite a few drs...but it is my health and MY life.

I also wanted to add I take fish oil 3-4 capsules of a "good, distilled" brand daily and 2000 mg of vitamin c daily. This seems to help with my muscles spasms and twitches- my PCP recommended this. If you have hx of kidney stones might want to talk to dr. about vitamin c first.

Last week I ran out of fish oil, forgot to buy and was off for a week, had bad spasms especially at night. After taking it again for 3 days it got better, coincidence.. maybe.
Now if I could just sleep well too....and get some energy....

shmily,
I tried armour... my heart went crazy, after being on it for 5 days I could not take it, still trying to get back to where I was. I am an exception I know, I have SVT and the T3 in it and I do not agree. Wish I could take...begged endo because I heard so many good positive stories.... but it caused great havoc for me and my levels..

And I loved the sucess story- hardly get any posted here, all out enjoying life again. Thanks, you inspire me to hang on... and on... and on.... God bless.

Last edited by tired47; 02-19-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHMILY View Post
I had severe leg and foot cramps before I got my levels up. I'm still not quite optimal but I seldom have a cramp now. Also Synthroid can cause all kinds of aches and pain. It nearly crippled me before I changed to Armour.

Shmily..

I was just going to suggest getting off her SYNTHROID too, and trying another T4 med. I started out on Levothroid, and later went for treatment from an endo at an air force hospital. well, all they carried in their pharmacy formulary was SYNTHROID. I became so so ill on that stuff...I honestly felt like I was dying, and got worse day after day. I've read of many people saying the same thing. I swear there was poision in SYNTHROID!! So I got back on Levo on got better, but it took long, for me. Memaw...if you don't feel better soon, ask for a change in T4 meds...it's possible the Synthroid is making you feel horrible. Maybe not, but I've seen people on this board say that, more than a few times.

I too had extremely severe muscle spasms, the worst in my upper back, and even my diaphragm would spasm! That was super scary! I would also get them in my toes, and eye twitches. The worst tho was my back and my abs and diaprhragm. It felt like my whole torso was one large spasm!! I had them daily, all day long. Horrible! 4 different muscle relaxants and not one of them helped, [Soma did a little].

The only thing that really helped was geting my T4 up. I was on Armour for 14 months, and had nothing but bad luck with that. It too made my heart pound hard and breathing was all screwed up too. Very SOB at times. My T3 levels were real high, [over the range at times], but my Free T 4 levels were so so low,...at times under the range. It was like I was hypo and hyper. It just didn't agree with me, although I know it works quite well for some people.

Once I got the free T4 levels up, and my T3 in a good place, the spasms started going away...but slowly. I had them for over 2 years. I think it was from the low T4 levels, for so long, and then after reaching decent T4 levels, it still took a long time for those muscles to heal.

I also take calcium citrate, magnesium, B complex, C, D, E, L-Tyrosine, Co-Q-10, Fish Oil, evening Primrose oil, Glutathione, B-12, selenium, and a couple of others. I also drink a whey protein shake daily. Try to get plenty of sleep, [if you can], and try to do some stretching everyday. Hot baths help too.

Good luck.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
(female)

tired47 HB User

Deda,

You are right... as my T4 levels go up I think I feel better, less spasms. For me synthyroid helps as I increase the doseage.

And I tried Armour for 5 days... my heart went WILD!!! I do have SVT
( came with thyroid problem, never had heart issue before). I only tried it for 5 days ( very low dose too) and it has taken me 2 months to start to feel slightly better... horrible experience for me.

So disappointing.... heard so many good reports from lots of other thyroid patients... just goes to show what is good for one person may not work for another. We are all created differently....
Good luck to you all!

Old 02-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

IMO most people who have trouble with Armour do so because they either start out with too much or increase too fast, or both. Granted there are some that need to take a little T4 along with their Armour to balance the FT's. You should never increase Armour more than 15 mcg at a time and should start out at a smaller doze than you know you will need to get leveled out. If you are sensitive to thyroid meds you may have to increase in smaller amts than 15 mcg. I always get my Armour in 15 mcg or 30 mcg tablets so I can split my dosage or if the hashitoxocosis kicks in for a day or so [luckily this hasn't happened for some time] I can reduce my dosage.

I know Armour may not be the best for everyone and some do just fine on the T4 synthetics. Also there may be some that have a normal FT3 and a low FT4 that will need a T4 only.

In the information archives at the very top of home page they refer to a Website called GAIL'S THYROID TIPS [so I would think it's OK to suggest it here]. Very interesting information about the different thyroid medications, and many other good tips. Everyone should read the information on this site.

I took Thyrolar for yrs. and never had any side effects or problems from it. It is a synthetic T3/T4 combo. It would be my 2nd choice.

Last edited by SHMILY; 02-20-2009 at 03:13 PM.

Closed Thread