It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

deeddog HB User
Why do they remove thyroid gland and are problems hereditary?

Hi. I just found out that my thyroid is messed up (hypo) and have been referred to an endo. I have a couple questions.

I just found out that both of my grandmothers had their thyroid glands removed... why would they have had this done? Did they just remove them back in the day if they had problems? No one in my family really knows any more about their conditions other than they had surgery and had the thyroid removed.

Also, are thyroid problems hereditary?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User
Re: Why do they remove thyroid gland and are problems hereditary?

yes, thryoid problems can be hereditary. My brother had Papillary CA and had his T gland completely removed and had to drink RAI. Radioactive Iodine.

I had a large nodule which was giving me big problems for at least 6 years. Finally my surgeon said we are taking this out. What if it is cancer? During surgery they checked a frozen section and said it was NOT malignant...so he only took 1/2 my thyroid--- the other half should kick in and be enough for a few years anyway.

***The T gland is responsible for all the metabolic functions in the body. You can have several family members be hypo, or hyper, or have growths that press on the windpipe like mine did. It caused a lot of choking while eating and drinking.

If he says to have it out, you should do it. The T gland can mess with your mind and brain functions and make you think you are going nuts.

But, yes, several members of a family can have thyroid issues. It is not that uncommon.

My surgery was a breeze. I will say tho I was glad to get home. they don't let you sleep in a hospital...Plus you are on an IV so everytime you have to tinkle you have to get the nurse to help you...

Last edited by golfhat; 02-15-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
(female)

beth67 HB User

There is an autoimmune disorder called Hashimotos thyroiditis that is hereditary. I was feeling bad for awhile and my tsh and other tests were in the normal range then finally one clever dr. checked antibodies for Hashimotos and I had them and a month later I had my thyroid removed because they found cancer during a biopsy. I have a son that gets an antibody test occasionally because be is diabetic and therefore at a little more at risk for getting another autoimmune disease. It's worth asking your dr. for a blood test.

Beth

Old 02-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The two most common reasons to have the gland removed is for thyroid cancer or suspicion of it, and for goiter that it interferes with other structures/functions in the neck. It sometimes is removed to treat the most common cause of overactive thyroid, Graves' disease.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User

Yes, as everyone said it CAN be hereditary. My great-grandmother was the only one in my family to have her thyroid removed because of a growth, but it was non cancerous. I had mine removed for pap cancer this summer. In most cases, surgery is recommended if cancer is suspected, or if the growth(s) are big enough to cause eating or breathing problems. Being on meds really isn't so bad, and I am starting to feel better than I have in a long time.

Closed Thread