It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
(female)

Play_Hard HB User
1st medicated lab results just back

How do these numbers look? These are my first labs since I started the thyroid medication. I'm taking .88mcg of generic Synthroid.

My old numbers prior to starting the generic Synthroid:

TSH 3.89 and 3.62 (0.4 - 4.0) (this was tested twice a few weeks apart - both prior to medication)
Free T4 1.1 (0.7 - 1.5)
Free T3 3.17 (1.71 - 3.71)
Progesterone 0.7 (0.0 - 242.5)
Anti-TPO AB 0.7 (0.0 - 5.6)
Anti-thyroglobulin AB 0.92 (0.00 - 4.11)
Free Testosterone 0.6 (0.0 - 2.2)

Post medicated numbers:

TSH 0.67 (0.4 - 4.0)
Free T4 1.4 (0.7 - 1.5)
Progesterone greater than 20 (0.0 - 242.5)
HCG - 1510 (I'm getting this tested again as it looks like I might be pregnant again after one month after having a miscarriage)

I read that an ideal TSH is 1.0-1.5, but the 0.67 is closer to "ideal" than the 3.89. When should I get tested again? Especially if I'm pregnant, I should probably get my numbers checked in a few weeks, right? Any thoughts?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: 1st medicated lab results just back

Your TSH seems a tad low and your FT4 a tad high. What does your MD say? Did he drop your dose a bit? Maybe 75 mcgs would be better for you.

(Will be holding my breath for you again. )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

You should hold on the medication level until you find out if you are pregnant. Pregnancy tends to lower the TSH and cause for a higher T4 production to meet your demands and that of the fetus that is dependent on your T4 for the first 12 weeks and is supplemented for another 10 weeks.

Your antibody levels are not off the charts yet.. but you do have some.
You need to get the Ft3 levels tested. Make sure you are taking a super B complex. You need the folic acid and the B12 and B6. Make sure you are following your iron and ferritin levels. IF you are pregnant get blood testing every 2-4 weeks during the first trimester to make sure your Ft4 levels are staying in the 60-80% range of normal.

Good luck and best wishes. hopefully congratulations will come next.

MG

Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
(female)

Play_Hard HB User

Thanks for the advice. Yes I am pregnant, I was suprised as I have been unsuccessful for over 3 years and then I get pregnant a 1.5 months after starting thyroid meds (miscarried mid Jan) and then I get pregnant immediately after my miscarriage. So I absolutely 100% believe that my thyroid levels had something to do with my fertility.

So the levels that were tested, were levels at 4 weeks into my pregnancy. I asked my doctor about my TSH and free T4 levels. He said that he would rather see my TSH at .67 than at the higher end, he feels that it's better for the baby. I asked if I could have my levels tested in a few weeks and he felt that is was not necessary until my 2nd trimester and then one more time during my 3rd trimester.

At first (prior to getting pregnant) this doctor didn't really feel as though my thyroid levels warrented treatment. I was the one that requested thyroid tests be done and asked for treatment, now he admits that watching my thyroid is very important. My levels were not that far off to begin with, it's amazing how sensitive I am. I can't even imagine what I would feel like if my TSH level was 30 something like some people out there!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I'm so happy for you... for becoming pregnant, and for finally finding a savvy MD!

But don't think that TSH has anything at all to do with how one feels. It isn't connected to symptoms. Only T4/T3 affect symptoms. T4/T3 can be bottom-range or below even when TSH is completely "normal". Conversely, they might even be adequate when TSH is above-range. TSH just isn't all that accurate a marker for hypoT. Very low - even if still within-range - T4/T3 are what define hypothyroidism, even though MDs are taught that it's above-range TSH which does.

Trying to diagnose hypoT according to TSH alone is like trying to determine when to fill the gas tank by checking the mileage on odometer instead of simply looking at the gas gauge. A round-about and inaccurate method, to be sure.

Again, best wishes!

Old 03-02-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Okay it is now important for you to get thyroid level testing EVERY four weeks minimum. My MFM prefers every 2 weeks in the first trimester. But he is aggressive in his treatment for the mother's and fetus's sake. You will want to make sure that you stay in the 60-80% Ft4 region. ALSO insist on getting your Ft3 levels tested. Also as your pregnancy progresses retest your Hashimoto TPOAb and TGAB. You had some present.. just not excessive levels. These can climb and cause issues in your pregnancy.

It is now time for you to get a thyroid savvy MFM to help manage this pregnancy. I am wishing you the best of luck!

MG

Closed Thread