It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
(male)

freakingout77 HB User
Question 31 y old male do I have a thyroid problem?

I have recently turned my life around for the healthier alternative, but I feel the years of my past life are
Catching up with me both physically and mentally and I’m struggling to cope with everyday life.

Dry Throat (feels sensitive / too small, strangles, tight or feels like a lump)
Difficulty Swallowing / Eating (I panic when it happens from intense fear of choking)
I seem to produce lots of frothy Saliva - too much and can’t swallow it and need to spit.
I suffer Panic Anxiety constantly because of this physical symptom.

7-8 years ago I was diagnosed/treated for depression and later on now anxiety, while the medication "Zoloft"
Allowed me cope with the anxiety and treated my depression it never really took away the swallowing problem.

I honestly believe my constant anxiety and sleep like apnea is a symptom of a long-term underlying physical problem
that is still to be diagnosed correctly.

I only found out this year that my Mum also suffered similar symptoms (swallowing and throat issues) most of her
Life and never told me - I have been suffering these symptoms for about 10 years.. We have both had barium meals
and throat x-rays at different times in our lives including having camera in my nose down to the throat about 10
Years ago and I was informed everything was ok. But its seems to be worse than ever now and I still don’t know what’s
Wrong with me - I do have good days but mostly bad.

I stop breathing in my sleep (almost every night - sometime up to 11 times in a night) I’m not at the stage where I’m
Too scared to go to bed most nights because I just know it’s going to happen the minute I fall asleep.

How do I cope when it happens?
Hide away from people - loud noises and bright light
Lots of throat lollies (Eucalyptus lollies act)
Plain Salt Crisp Chips (Salt numbs my throat)
Temaze (sleeping pills) settles my Nervousness usually takes about 20 to 30 minutes to kick in, agitation and allows
Me to sleep a little bit.

I believe when I swallow in my sleep feels like it gets stuck or my throat closes over - and it wakes me instantly
Scaring the hell out of me, I jump 10 foot in fear - all disorientated and dizzy.

I stay up very late every night to make myself extremely tired but I believe the more tired I am the quicker I fall
Asleep to more its happens that night.

I have quit smoking 1 months ago because every cigarette I had made my throat feel like it was swelling up and I
Could not talk or swallow at all for about 30minutes - instant anxiety attack - really freaked me out.

I avoid any stimulants - I have somewhat remove from my daily diet -caffeine (Coke and Coffee) and alcohol.

I am a 31 year old male
Otherwise physically healthy, about 12 kg over weight (96kg) for my height (1800mm)
My BMI is 29.9

I used to binge drink as a teenager and also dabble with marijuana.. I cannot smoke pot anymore.
I have been to hospital twice from smoking pot (I panicked - think I’m dying)
I have been to hospital once with alcohol related (gastritis) alcohol attacked my stomach lining.

I don’t know what’s wrong with me but I need to get my life back on track my wife and my daughter are suffering and
Begging to lead a life of solitude with me because I am getting worse and slowly staying at home indoors more and
More. I’m starting to avoid public lots of people / load places or direct conversations with people I don’t know -
Eye to eye contact makes my anxiety slowly creep in and the swallow starts to go hard.

I can’t handle people looking at me when I eat; I get a complex and it cause anxiety every time, I choke on my food - and then it takes me about 1 hour to eat my dinner every night in very tiny small mouthfuls fully chewed.

If I massage the glands around my neck/jaw area its feels better but the problem is in that area, I cannot handle anyone touching my Adams apple it’s a sure panic area for me.

Like when a old mate puts you in a headlock or you carry your kids on your back and they grab around the throat I get really nervous that they might gag me..

Other related type issues
# Nervousness, agitation
# Irritability
# Restlessness
# Erratic behaviour (become angry / temper)
# Itchy skin
# when I go out in the sun on hot days my skin gets a prickling / pin head poking type sensations
# chronic sinus infections hay fever really dry nostrils
# Itchy ear drums and eyes, allergies and I’m a asthmatic.

I’m just sick of being told it’s all in my head – its anxiety... I believe something is not right.

FeakedOut77

Last edited by freakingout77; 02-27-2009 at 04:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: 31 y old male do I have a thyroid problem?

If your thyroid gland is swollen enough to cause the swallowing/choking issues, it's easy to tell. Has your doctor ever palpated your throat to check for thyroid enlargement. You could check your neck yourself, too. Here's how:

1. Using a hand mirror, hold it so that you can see the area of your neck just below the Adam's apple and right above the collarbone. This is the general location of your thyroid gland. (Don't mistake the Adam's apple for the thyroid, which is below the apple.)
2. Tip your head back, while keeping this view of your neck and thyroid area in your mirror.
3. Take a drink of water and swallow. As you swallow, look at your neck. Watch carefully for any bulges, enlargement, protrusions, or unusual appearances in this area when you swallow.
4. Repeat this process several times.
5. If you see any bulges, protrusions, lumps or anything that appears unusual, see your doctor right away. You may have an enlarged thyroid, or a thyroid nodule, and your thyroid should be evaluated.

To determine if the thyroid function is normal, insist on having both a TSH and a free T4 test. There is no way to figure out whether your anxiety and sleep issues are a result of thyroid disease without doing blood tests. Don't allow your doctor to keep issuing a diagnosis of "anxiety" without them.

If swallowing trouble and anxiety are your only symptoms, it's not likely your thyroid is to blame. Low (or high) thyroid levels usually cause up to a dozen or more symptoms at a time, because thyroid hormone plays a role in every physical and mental process the body has.

Closed Thread