It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
(female)

Karen128 HB User
Temperature Regulation and Thyroid

Does the thyroid play a part in temperature regulation?

I get freezing in the evening and throughout the night. My temp goes down pretty low and I pile on the layers and layers (gloves & socks) to stay warm and I'm still cold under the covers. It only happens when the temp is below 70 (the house never gets colder than 60). It's gotten progressively worse the past couple of years. In the morning I'm fine and when I go out during the day I'm often warm. Hot tea is my temporary fix now, but by the time I'm falling asleep it's warn off.

I asked my Dr a couple years ago and he just said that's how I am. But my OB just suggested testing my thyroid. Any ideas on what it could be?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: Temperature Regulation and Thyroid

I've been told by several DRs including Endo's that the thyroid doesn't have anything to do with temp. Reg.

Have you taken your temp? What is it?

I assume you've had your blood checked for anemia etc.?

My temp goes down to 95 yet I am hot

You need to keep a mug of hot water or tea to sip all day long. Layers & layers of sweaters. Just think of me, I can only take off so many clothes when I am so hot. I'm thinking of buying one of those cooling vests. Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The thyroid gland itself doesn't regulate temperature, but low thyroid function is a well-known disruptor of thermogenesis, which results in the sensation of coldness that the hypothyroid patient so frequently feels.

I'm not sure if those MDs just didn't want to make time to explain that to you, or if they're just stupid.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-10-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
(female)

Karen128 HB User

Thanks for the replies. When I was really cold once my temp was 94.2. I charted BBT in the morning for a while and I was in the 96's for the first part of my cycle. The second part was 97's. The chart I downloaded only went down to 96.9, so I figured my lower temps were not completely norm.

My RBC is at the very low end or just under the low end of normal on my last two tests, but my Dr didn't say anything about it.

Being hot all the time would not be fun! That must be hard when you can't have air conditioning.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
(male)

cfredc HB User

Dear Karen,

Regardless of what you may have heard or read, the prime function of thyroid hormone is to cause just enough extra body heat to be generated to maintain a body temperature of 98.6.

This temperature is sensed in the hypothalamus and a closed loop control system uses thyroid hormone to lock that temperature to 98.6. This mechanism operates very slowly over a period of weeks (via muscle cell nuclear receptors which probably regulate expression of heat-generating UCP3), so that faster temperature regulatators like sweating or shivering are also required.

Take very slowly increasing doses of Armour or another brand of animal thyroid (T3 and T4, a whole other story) until your body temperature stabilizes at 98.6.

This is almost universally misunderstood, but if you tell your MD that you will very slowly increase your dosage, he should see no downside to worry him.

Closed Thread