It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Thyroid opinions please

During an ultrasound of neck (swollen lymph node) it was discovered that my thyroid was hypervascular and pertruding. The analysis was possible Graves Disease or thyroiditis. My TSH is 4.86 and my T4 Free is 1.1

The doctor said to wait three months and re do my blood.

Well now I feel like someone is pushing on my throat and I have at times trouble swallowing. I have been having my heart start racing at times and this makes me anxious.

Does this sound like Graves disease or thyroiditis?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Thyroid opinions please

Your thyroid levels are clearly on the HypoT side so probably Hashi's thyroiditis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I agree. It's highly unlikely to be Graves' with TSH that high. If you've had hypothyroid symptoms for some time, it's most likely Hashimoto's. If all your trouble started suddenly and you haven't had ongoing symptoms for months to years, it's quite possible it's a temporary - "acute" - thyroiditis.

But I'm almost 100% certain it can't be Graves'.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-10-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Thank you so much for your responses. They were extremely helpful.

I have been having some weird things happening to my body that I don't know if they would be caused by hypoT. I feel like for the past 2 weeks there has been this pressure on my throat. (Like someone is pressing on the front of my throat) Sometimes it feels worse than other times. Sometimes it feels like I might have a hard time swallowing. Plus there was a couple of days where my heart would start racing. I don't know if the heart racing thing could be from the stress of worrying about the pressure on my throat. Would this happen with hypoT?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yes, it easily could happen. Your thyroid gland is probably enlarged from the effort to keep up with your body's hormone demand. Pressure on one's throat would surely cause a good deal of anxiety, I would think.
Also, before my levels were optimized, I had episodes of tachycardia (racing heart), too.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:01 AM   #6
(female)

daisy01 HB User

I still get a racing heart every now and then, but i try not to think about it and it is not so noticeable. Also some foods or drink seem to make it worse for me. I tried that redbush herbal tea(Roobois) and my face went bright red and my heart felt like it was gonna burst out of my chest. I only tried it twice and it happened on both occaisions. I now avaoid it. I think Our immune system speeds up our heart rates as our bodies mistakenly believe that we are under attack from an outside source, not realising it is from the enemy within. ( our own anti bodies)

Old 03-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I really appreciate your replies. I was beginning to think that I was losing it. I thought that maybe I was suffering from anxiety, but then I don't have anything to be stressed over except my throat pressure.

I would just be talking to someone or be busy with work and the next thing I knew my heart would be racing.

I have been healthy for so long and then I am told my thyroid is hypervascular and pertruding. Now I have the throat pressure and heart racing, so I was hoping that it was related.

I was so worried that I was going nuts.

Thank you again for your replies.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

People with Hashi's also can have an elevated FT3 which can cause the fast heart. It's usually at the beginning of it when you can have some hyper symptoms. You should see if this is elevated. A beta blocker can help with this taken as needed.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I went to the doctor and she said that my TSH level was too low for medicine. She had me get an EKG and to wear a heart monitor. I had new Thyroid blood tests and she referred me to an ENT. I was disappointed, but I will see what happens. I guess she is trying to rule things out, but it all seems so coincidental.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle, my former primary doc wouldn't prescribe for me when my TSH was 4.83. Notice I said "former". He actually refused to test my TSH in the first place when I asked him to, based on my symptoms. The next MD I saw made the Hashi's diagnosis, but she didn't know how to treat it after her standard method failed. The third MD I saw got me straightened out, and I continue to see him to the present.

Did you know that Oprah Winfrey... who should have access to the best MDs in the US... saw a total of 4 MDs for her symptoms before any one of them even thought to test her thyroid!!

There are a lot of thyroid quacks out there. Your current MD seems to be one of them. Keep looking until you find someone who knows what they're doing... even if the next one tells you that you can't be treated yet. Let us know what happens, ok?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Thank you for your advice. What kind of medicine did your doctor put you on? Do you have to eat a special diet too? What strength prescription did he give you and did it take a lot of time to figure out what medicine and strength worked best for you?

Also, what were your symptoms. For me it is the fast heart beat and pressure in throat. Thank you again, it means a lot to have someone to talk to about this.

Last edited by Belle2003; 03-12-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

What kind of medicine did your doctor put you on?

When first diagnosed, I was prescribed Synthroid in a modest dose, with the expectation that it would be increased small increments at 6 to 8-week intervals. That's the typical way to begin treating hypothyroidism. I almost immediately became overmedicated, so the dose was reduced instead of increased. I remained overmedicated on that smallest possible dose, and the doc told me to stop taking it altogether and remain sick until I could "tolerate" the Synthroid. That didn't sound like a plan to me, so I took myself to a family practice MD who prescribed Armour Thyroid, which has worked very well for me.

What strength prescription did he give you and did it take a lot of time to figure out what medicine and strength worked best for you?

It took about 1 year from the time I started the Armour until my symptoms completely disappeared. I had to increase my doses more gradually than the average patient, due to my reaction to the Synthroid. I would say most people feel themselves again within 6-9 months. I won't even bother to mention my dose to you, because everyone is so different in their thyroid needs. Comparison of individual dosages isn't all that helpful, really.

Do you have to eat a special diet too?

There is no "special" diet that will help hypothyroidism in particular, especially when it's being optimally treated with the right med in the right dose. I tend to eat a fairly healthful diet of lean meat and vegetables, in conjunction with a fairly hefty amount of sugar and bakery products. I try, I try .... sigh.

Also, what were your symptoms. For me it is the fast heart beat and pressure in throat. Thank you again, it means a lot to have someone to talk to about this.

My symptoms were not the most typical ones, which would be fatigue, weight gain, and constipation. Instead, I had an odd chest pressure and feelings of weakness that I feared might be cardiac in nature. I had also had PVCs - "skipped" heartbeats for years that I had simply ignored. After a trip to the ER and a cardiac workup... long story short... I figured out myself through the Internet that these could be caused by low thyroid. Then I had to set about finding an MD who would agree... The story I already outlined above.

So, I urge you not to give up finding treatment. Your doctor is patently wrong that a TSH near 5 isn't treatment worthy. The American Association of Clinical Endos says that TSH above 3 is probably hypothyroid and merits a trial of replacement hormone. (Actually, that's not the whole truth. TSH is given more importance than it should have, but that's another story I won't go into here.)

Good luck, Belle! Let us know when you've found your Thyroid Guru.

Closed Thread