It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Question Did you treat hyperthyroidism naturally without drugs or surgery?

I am wondering if anyone has been treated naturally without drugs or medicine? I have been reading about it, and I am in the process of removing the mercury/silver fillings I have. I plan to detox my colon, liver, kidneys, and a cleanse for parasites, heavy metals, and candida. I understand that the detox process is going to take some time. I want to try to level out by vitamins, herbs, foods/diet, etc.

I know I may get some flack for this, but I know there is a large network of people out there that do this. I want to give it a shot because I have nothing to lose and vitamins, herbs, and food won't hurt me like drugs, RAI, or surgery would. Let me know your experience. Did you eventually have to give into conventional treatment?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Did you treat hyperthyroidism naturally without drugs or surgery?

I think first you might want to determine why you have hyperthyroidism---is it graves disease? Is it a solitary "hot" uptake nodule? Is it a temporary thyroiditis from a virus or from hashimotos?

If it's a temporary thyroiditis, it will get better by itself and you don't need to do anything. If it's from graves it might be more complicated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

I think trying to do this yourself might be tricky. if your levels are very elevated it can lead to thyroid storm if left untreated. I would recommend at least going to a holistic doc to guide you and do frequent lab work. Graves disease is an auto immune disease and is greatly influenced by antibodies which can take a long time to come down and put you in remission. I myself, have been on a small amount of methimazole for over 2 years with no real side effects. It can be dangerous, so be careful.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

Alexa, I had to laugh when you said you may catch some flack. I'm not picking but I see you are from California. I truly love how people there try to live a more natural lifestyle. Anyway, I am going to my dentist next week. I have been having a reaction to a metal crown that when I really think about it, has been going on about as long as when I first developed a thyroiditis. The endodontist suggested I have it removed, at least for two weeks, and see if the gum reaction corrects itself. I also believe there is something to the metals in our mouth and I want mine out too. Good luck to you but please be careful. Did you get a confirmatory diagnosis yet?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were hypothyroid, not hyperthyroid?? There is a fairly gigantic difference in treatment and stuff. Did your labs come back goofy??

Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking Re: Did you treat hyperthyroidism naturally without drugs or surgery?

Before I got my labs and ultrasound results back, I was certain I was hypo because I had a ton of symptoms. When I got my labs back, I realized that I was actually hyper which surprised me. I am going to the endo soon for diagnosis. I have been doing a lot of research about this. Considering I have the eye thing (pain, redness, glassy and sometime slightly swollen since this began) I am am leaning towards autoimmune, Grave's?

I am from Iowa and my family and people I know give me a lot of flack about natural healing, medicine. There are no naturopaths or holistic practioners back there, so they don't understand. It was warmly accepted and they are plentiful in California. I am always a skeptic, but I gave it a try and I live that way now and it has yet to let me down! I want to give it a good try first.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I have heard of a study that treated hyperthyroidism with large doses of vitamins, successfully. You can possibly look it up and see what vitamins were used, in what dosage, and what the possible dangers of vitamin doses that high are.

Go easy on the detox. Some of those protocols are far from harmless, but I'm sure you can tell the difference.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
(female)

TV in RV HB User

The thing is, you want to treat your hyperthyroidism successfully or you will be very unhealthy. Obviously health is what you are aiming for.

Like jainwhite said - go easy on the detox and don't buy your detox from the shelf in some random vitamin shop. Many of those have been known to cause liver damage. The thing about "natural" is that most of these vitamins aren't natural nor does the FDA study, regulate, or approve them (not that I fully trust the FDA but you get my point). The scientist backing these detoxs usually study for efficiency and not so much safety. Herbs are natural but no one knows their safety either until people start getting sick. The best detox is eating extremely healthy food and excercising regularly. You can't get anymore healthy than that!

As far as taking high doses of vitamins go, I don't recomend it. There are so many dangers involved with overdosing and just because there was one study doesn't mean that it's legit.

Ok, so my point is, do your research first

Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
(female)

TV in RV HB User

I forgot to mention that I'm not knocking your choice to be natural. I understand that many hyperthyroid drugs can be dangerous. I personally would opt for surgery before drinking the radioactive iodine. I just want you to make an imformed decision. Most of what the vitamin shop calls "natural" isn't really.

Last edited by TV in RV; 03-19-2009 at 08:39 AM.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the responses. We have Whole Foods and Henry stores here and there are overwheming choices of vitamins, herbs, cleanses, etc. I always do my research first, that is why I am going this route first. I understand that many things are labeled "natural" when they are not. I have been into this stuff for several years now, so I know what products are good and what to look for. If the FDA had their way, no herbs or vitamin would be "safe."

I think for the most part, I have decided against RAI. The reason is because just want it is, radioactive radiation and what it does to the thyroid and the body. Plus, what pushes me over is that I have the eye problem associated with the thyroid and some people will experience more eye problems that I don't want after getting the RAI. I am not willing to go blind or have any other problems as a side effect, I don't want to take that chance.

Unfortunately, I have to sit and wait for my upcoming endocrinologist appointment on April 2nd. What should I expect from a first appointment with an endo?

Old 03-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

get prepared...he'll probably say RAI. You're right though about the eyes.It makes them worse. I have chosen to take the meds. I am doing pretty well and am going more and more hypo which can happen too.(on a real small dose). Just tell the doc you refuse RAI and would like to try the natural route. They won't be alright with it, I bet, unless you're sub-clinical. Endos are pro RAI or meds. They keep pushing you too to make a permanent decision...then you switch endos.

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 03-20-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl,
Thanks! I know they will push for one of their treatments. I had the most absolute worst eye pain of my life last evening and night. There is no way I can or will do RAI. I am going to be honest with my endo and listen to what she has to say, but I am going to let her know that I want to give some natural treatments a shot first and they can test me to see where I am.

I used tea tree oil to heal an infection just before I got my wisdom teeth out last year and when I told my dentist this, he blew, he was really mad that I didn't use antibiotics he prescribed. The tea tree healed in it less than two days. I am hoping this endo is someone I can work with for my health and not somene who will try to dictate it and order me around.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:58 AM   #13
(female)

Rachix HB User

Hello there, and greetings from Sweden! By chance I found this forum today when I was out surfing, trying to find some more information about the connection between glucose intolerance and Hyperthyroid Graves (which was my condition).

I saw that you were looking for people who has treated their Graves/Hyper by other means than by drugs or radioactive Iodine. Well, I have and I would like to share my story with you and hope it can be of some help.

I was diagnosed with Graves in december 2006 after several months of testing. After the third test my doctor was sure I had Graves. We talked about the options I had and he also said it was possible that I had the kind of Graves that would heal itself (I have no idea what it's called in English). So several months passed without any kind of treatment. during these months I tried to find alternatives, and just like you I asked around at forums etc. Eventually i found out that some had been helped by a homeopath. So I decided to contact one and see what could be done.

This was in march 2007. In April my doctor said he thought we should begin treatment, because of the risks of going untreated for too long.
At about the same time, I started taking homeopathic drugs, so I told him I wanted to wait a bit longer. I also told him I was seeing a homeopath and he made no objections. "it's your health and I've been working too long as an endo to discourage you from it", he told me, and said that he wanted me to control my hormone levels every second month during the treatment.

Throughout spring and summer there were no significant changes, and my doctor wanted me to begin treatment in september if there was no improvement. But my testresults from august showed that levels were going down. In October the levels were normal, and also in december.

I have done several tests since then and all have showed that my Graves is fully healed. In October I'll make the final test and after that I'm considered to be completely cured.

I hope my story has encouraged you to find alternative ways. It may take some time, and it is possible that it won't work for all who try it, but for me it has definitely been worth it.
Godd luck!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #14
(female)

blume HB User

how did you get your hyperthyroid under control rachix what kind of herbal supplements did you take i would really like to know thank you

Old 03-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know there are several things you can do. Check out the book by Mary Soloman. I think I spelled that correctly. The name is Living Well with Hyperthyroidism and Graves

Closed Thread