It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
(female)

deirdre8256 HB User
Received my Ultrasound report!

Went to my follow up appt after ultrasound. My dr is referring me to an ENT. When I got i home, I looked online to research the dr he is referring me to and he specializes in ENT surgery.

I am very confused and would like so insight on what may be going on
Results are:

Both lobes of the thyroid gland are enlarged and heterogenous.
The right lobe measures 6.5cm in length by 2.6 cm in diameter by 3 cm in width.

The left lobe measures 5cm in length by 2.2 cm in diameter by 2.8cm in width.
The thyroid isthmus measures0.4 cm in thickness.

In the midpole of the right lobe there is the isoechoic hypoechoic solid mass measuring 2.9 cm in length by 2.6 cm in height with peripheral and internal vascularity. In the 2005 report a 1.46 cystic complex lesion is described in the right lobe.

In the lower pole of the left lobe there is a hypoechoic solid mass measuring 2.9 cm in length
by 1.5 cm in height with minimal internal vascularity. In the 2005 report a 2.2 cm solid or complex cystic lesion is described in the left lobe.

Correlation with thyroid function tests and correlation with prior biopsy is needed. Repeat biopsy of the bilateral masses especially the right which demonstates internal vascularity should be considered.

These results are from an ultrasound done last week. When I received a copy of these results the words "hypoechoic solid mass" were underlined as well as biopsy.

Dr said my thyroid function tests were normal, what do you think is next for me? I had a biopsy in 2005 which was benign. I also had a thyroid ultrasound in 2004 in which what was seen were "lesions" that were much smaller then. I do have difficulty swallowing at times.

Ny appt with ENT is this Monday.

Thanks

Last edited by deirdre8256; 03-18-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Received my Ultrasound report!

Hello Deirdre,

I also had normal labs and normal antibodies but had many hypothyroid symptoms when my nodules were found. I had pressure in my throat and went to the Doctor to find I had a multinodular goiter... with normal labs. Why could no one feel it? It had been there a while.

Some Endocrinologists use ENT's to do their surgeries......many do. I was scheduled for a TT 3 years ago ( I backed out). My Endo sent me to an ENT and I had the same confusion you did. The ENT made the final decision on whether I should have my thyroid out or not..... I liked the Endo but not the ENT so I walked. I went to another Endo.... I think this is pretty routine though for them to send you to an ENT.

My first ultrasound I had 4 dominant nodules...one being solid and suspicious.
You will either have a FNA done ( biopsy ) or a uptake scan to see if they are hot or cold nodules....

Try and stay calm....it will all work out. I was really upset when my nodules where found. Really upset. I never had surgery and still have my thyroid and nodules.... I am on Armour and Cytomel now and feel better.....

Let us know what happens...... Also you could have Hashi's with normal antibodies..

Oleander

Old 03-19-2009, 05:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Received my Ultrasound report!

So a nodule you used to have grew over the past couple of years? That is a red flag for removal.

Vascularity in the thyroid isn't too much to get too excited about, as the thyroid itself is a very vascular area---it's not like with other tumors that vascularity is a cue for cancer.

Nevertheless the growth/change of the nodule is a red flag. You can do repeat fna---but remember those nodules are on the larger size (over 2 cm!), and the fna only takes a sample of cells, not all of them.

You will have to consider surgery, as the only way to know if these are cancer or not, unfortunately, is surgery. Make sure the surgeon has a lot of thyroid experience---my surgery went great, and my recovery was quick---it's not a bad surgery to go thru.

Closed Thread