It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
(female)

leilajl HB User
Levothyroxine, Synthroid, and Synthrex and Petit Mal Seizures

I am new here. I have been through H*ll my whole life with thyroid issues, but at the very beginning of November 1, 2008, I finally got TSH level results of 76, results the doctor would treat (insane), and went on Synthroid, then Synthrex, and finally Levothyroxine, each for about 6 weeks. <br><br>

I had a terrible reaction, and the same reaction to all of them. I had non-stop petit mal seizures and by the end could not wake-up, not get-up, could barely walk, and thought I was dying. Since my original TSH levels were 76, and thus my doctors kept telling me if I went off the drug I would die. I kept saying I was going to die if I stayed on the synthetics. I finally took all my emails to my pharmacist, who caught the problem. He stated that the petit mal seizures are much more common than is published, and that level of petit mal seizures can and are a a pre-cursor to death. <br><br>

I have been on Armour now since February 13, 2009, with no bad reactions, and I just had new blood work, but I do not know the results yet. <br><br>
I just discovered that we can self report our reactions and the drug companies to [url]http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/[/url] 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) and so i will on Monday.
<br><br>

I hope this helps others. Leilajl

Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
(female)

grammy2 HB User
Re: Levothyroxine, Synthroid, and Synthrex and Petit Mal Seizures

I am a female 60 yrs old diagnoised with Hypothyroid in Sept/08, and started on Synthroid, since this time I have had horrible headaches in the back of my head and neck, unable to turn my head, dizziness and balance issues. I have had a battery of MRI's, CT scans, even hospitalized. told all the Dr's that have treated me since this issue, that this all started when the Synthroid was started, and no one has ever mentioned that it could be a problem. I am living on Darvoset to make it through the day, I have always been very active and my home spotless, I am unable to do half of what needs to be done anymore. The only time that I have had this kind of pain was when I was 25 pregnant and I had pseudotumorcerebri. I have had a spinal tap Jan /09 and that was Ok, and all of my test are good. Has anyone out there experienced this taking the Synthroid. I am at my wits end and I am going to stop taking it, and see if I get better.

Last edited by grammy2; 04-14-2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I never take any drug which are chemicals lightly. Besides doing various research and reading on the internet and through books, I also make sure to look up the package insert that comes with the drugs. It has a lot of information. My reading the package insert information, I just leaned that birth control pills (mine were ortho-tri-cyclen) effect thyroid blood tests. I copied the information from the birth control pill package insert and I will take that to my doctor and see how that will vary my results, if any.

Our bodies are not meant to me loaded with all these chemicals. We take them in when we slather soap and lotion on, when we eat because most food is genetically modified, sprayed in chemicals and loaded with preservtives and dyes. When we add medication on top of that, there comes in point in most people's lives where their body is tired and the chemicals are taking their toll.
I am sure this may make some people mad, but that is not my point at all.

WHat you should keep in mind that doctors often treat symptoms and they don't always find out the root of the problem, so that may leave you feeling many symptoms yet. You have to follow the trail and ask questions. If you have a thyroid problem>what is causing it? Many people have Hashimotos or Graves, well then what is causing that? and so on......that is what I am doing.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

On top of all that Alexa, take into consideration what you are not aware of.....exposure to radiation. I had a doctor actually state that the most significant cause of thyroid disorders is radiation exposure. Have you ever seen that e-mail where four people sit around a table with popcorn kernels and turn on their cell phones and after a short amount of time the popcorn pops right there on the table? We are surrounded by wireless internet, cell phones, satellite, who knows what else. I think this will have a far great effect on our health than anything else.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
(female)

ymoore86 HB User

ive been on synthroid (levo) since i was 16.
never had any bad reactions to it.
maybe some hair loss and headaches but that more likely is my thyroid problem causing it.
also i understand where your coming from with the whole chemical thing and our bodies not being meant for it.
im not the type to pop a bunch of diff pills.
i dont want to have to take pills at all but the reality is you have to take thyroid meds if you have a thyroid disorder.
synthroid is simply just thyroid hormone, synthetic yes, but no extra chemicals or anything , just thyroid hormone.
some people might work better with amour since it is real thyroid hormone.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
On top of all that Alexa, take into consideration what you are not aware of.....exposure to radiation. I had a doctor actually state that the most significant cause of thyroid disorders is radiation exposure. Have you ever seen that e-mail where four people sit around a table with popcorn kernels and turn on their cell phones and after a short amount of time the popcorn pops right there on the table? We are surrounded by wireless internet, cell phones, satellite, who knows what else. I think this will have a far great effect on our health than anything else.
Your absolutely right Sparkie. These things do have great effects on our health. Raditation in addition to everything else, we are becoming overloaded and something has to give eventually.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

The popcorn video was a hoax, CNN showed that they dropped pre-popped popcorn into the screen, you can see the CNN report on snopes.

There are lots of dangerous bad things in the world around us, it's good to minimize risk, but we are living longer than in the old days, before they even had electricity, so we have to live life, take the good with the bad, and not make ourselves too crazy, as sometimes, no matter how healthy you live, you get sick anyway, and it's not your fault, it just happens, and has happened since the beginning of time.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
(female)

Spirits50 HB User

Wow! I have been taking synthroid for about 13 years, and I have had NES(non epeleptic seizures) for years, I never equated them to synthroid. I do know that I feel far worse when I take sythroid, or levoxl and I am severe hypo with a TSH of right now over 90, been over 100 in the past. I want to
try Arnour, but am having trouble having a doctor prescribe it for me. I recently ordered an all natural Thyroid product,( don't know if can mention the name here or not). but I think it's basically the same idea as Armour with a few more supplements. I have only been taking it days and I am already starting to feel better. When will docotors STOP and LISTEN to what we are saying we know our own bodies and how we feel, when did they take that right away from us?

Last edited by Spirits50; 04-14-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
(female)

Spirits50 HB User

Wow! I have been taking synthroid for about 13 years, and I have had NES
(non epeleptic seizures) for years, I never equated them to synthroid. I do know that I feel far worse when I take sythroid, or levoxl and I am severe
hypo with a TSH of right now over 90, been over 100 in the past. I want to
try Arnour, but am having trouble having a doctor prescribe it for me. I recently ordered an all natural Thyroid product,( don't know if can mention the name here or not). but I think it's basically the same idea as Armour with a few more supplements. I have only been taking it days and I am already starting to feel better. When will doctors STOP and LISTEN to what we are saying we know our own bodies and how we feel, when did they take that right away fron us?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

You should get the book, "Stop the Thyroid Madness."

Old 04-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #11
(female)

Spirits50 HB User

first sorry for the double post, and I got the book on order from Amazon.....wish it would get here!!!!!!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, I got mine book several weeks ago. There is a lot of information in there and it is easy to read. I am currently hyperthyroid (that is all I know) and I liked "Living Well with Graves Disease and Hyperthyroidism" by Mary Shoman. She also has a hypothyroid version. I refer back to her books all the time in my quest for answers. Hope you get your book soon!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirits50
I want to try Arnour, but am having trouble having a doctor prescribe it for me. I recently ordered an all natural Thyroid product,( don't know if can mention the name here or not). but I think it's basically the same idea as Armour with a few more supplements.
No, it isn't. Armour contains T4 and T3, the hormones your gland isn't making. The OTC stuff you bought contains no active thyroid hormone. The only way the "boosters" it contains will do anything for you is if your gland is capable of producing hormone. If your TSH is over 90, your gland is pretty much kaput. If you feel better, it's a trick of the mind.

And as ymoore says, Synthroid and other synthetic thyroid products are not "chemicals". They are lab-made exact duplicates of the hormone your gland would make if it could. There are binders and fillers in the tablets to bulk up and bind the active ingredients, but that's it. You get more chemicals in a slice of commercial bread.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
(female)

leilajl HB User

Grammy2,

Isn't the internet wonderful? We can learn from each other.

I am so sorry. My pharmacist is the one who saved me! But if one of the natural Thyroid medicines cause the headaches and seizures to stop, and I bet it does, please file a complaint at: www.fda.gov/medwatch/elist.htm

The manufacturers will only be held accountable to publish these studies about the seizures, if we push them to. The symptoms of seizures do exists as a symptom that is not published with our insert on the drug.

Senior Veteran is right, but the Levo, and the others, did not have this side-effect listed as it does in the doctors' inserts.

She is also right that the depletion of the soil is causing an epedemic of Hoshimoto's.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #15
(female)

leilajl HB User

Spirits50,

Alexain2006 is right, buy Stop the Thyroid Maddness, Mary is the well of knowledge, all of her books.

You are right about everything you said, our bodies, doctors need to listen, but again you need to report this symptom because it could save someone else's life.

Be well, Leilajl

Closed Thread