It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
Just confused and need some good advice

I am just really confused and need some good advice. I don't really know where to begin but I'll try my best. Several years back I started having daily episodes of tachycardia...at the time, I didn't know that is what it was. Any how after basically trying to ignore it, a nurse that was at my workplace for a health fair took my blood pressure and said I needed to get with my doctor ASAP regarding my pulse. It was 158 at the time of the reading. I explained to her that they had mentioned it before but never made a big deal out of it so neither had I. She insisted that was not right and to make an appointment. So I did. I had an EKG and Echo and was diagnosed with Sinus Tachycardia with no apparent reason. The doctor put me on a beta blocker and sent me on my way. I've taken the beta blocker for about three years now, and it helps, most of the time. Lately I've been experiencing other things, namely, almost weekly migraines (although I've suffered with these since age 12, I'm getting them a lot more lately), constantly breaking out in hives (this is on a daily basis) worsening Psoriasis, and I have super long periods that last 10 days at a time. My body aches, and I am tired. However, I do have a 20 month old and 6 month old at home, so I am sure a lot of my fatigue stems from that. I feel frustrated because I don't know what is wrong with my body anymore. I don't ever feel 100%, sometimes not even 25%. My doctors have kept up pretty well on checking my thyroid over the last several years because it runs heavily on both sides of my family. But it always comes back normal. I don't know that it's a thyroid issue, but there IS something going on. I am only 29 years old....I shouldn't feel this lousy all of the time. None of my friends go through these issues like I do and we all live basically similar lifestyles. I was just recently in my doctors office a few weeks ago for migraines, AGAIN, and they ran a bunch of blood work and sent me to have a CT scan. It all came back normal. The only thing I couldn't figure out was that they wrote on the card that they sent me that they had tested my TT3 and that it was 1.31. They didn't list the normal range for the test...the TSH and FT4 were printed on the card already with the normal ranges, and the TT3 was listed out to the side. I keep reading in different places ranges for TT3 tests and they are all giving me numbers in the double digits (ie 80-150 or something of that nature.) I did find ranges for a FT3 test but they are like 2.3-something, which still wouldn't make sense giving my test result. Maybe it's nothing, but I wondered if that seemed right? Again, like I said, maybe it's not a thyroid issue, maybe it something else all together, but any ideas or advice would be appreciated. I feel like a slug compared to most people my age and I hate it and would really love to find some answers. Thanks everyone!

Also, as a side note...my dad wasn't diagnosed hypo until he was in his 50's and my mom's sister wasn't diagnosed with Graves until she was in her 50's. My dad insists that he had things going on for years that he never connected and that once he was diagnosed and started treatment for hypo, he felt a huge change. What are the chances that I could end up with something like this as well but have to wait until much late in life before it will show? Again, thanks for your help and just for listening.

Last edited by Delia79; 03-24-2009 at 07:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User
Re: Just confused and need some good advice

delia,
There are more knowledgeable ppl on the board.. but the advice I have after 2 years of going through crap (not sure if it ALL thyroid related) but that is the ONLY thing that is showing some evidence of some action going on.. AGAIN... ALL my thyroid related tests are "very normal" as per MOST doctors ... BUT as per the endocrinologst following the new guidelines where the TSH should be less than 2 believe there is a thyroid component playing in my health (look at my thread "Got Labs"
Do your research on endos.. maybe you could even call and before taking an appt ask if they follow the new thyroid guidelines and go to a proper endo.
Yes you're right.. you should not be feeling like this.. I was told by mu husband.. "every one has kids .. look at person A, B, C.. no one has issues like you.. what the hell is wrong with you"... of course I felt that too but it was hurtful coming from someone else..
Don't worry it will get sorted out and you'll have to be more aggressive in getting help (unfortunately the ppl who we pay to take care of us don't do a good job most of the time)

Old 03-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Dream,
Thank you for listening. I just don't get where these doctors are coming from. I have suffered for years from migraines. Practically ever since I started having periods at age 12. They have ALWAYS said, oh it's probably just your hormones...they are just hormone related. Well maybe, but isn't it POSSIBLE that there could be something OFF with my hormones then? I mean, come on....I know plenty of women....all who have periods, and NONE of them have 10 day periods, and weekly episodes of migraines. I don't understand; if they think it's hormones, then why don't they CHECK my hormones? I have a very hard time being assertive and hate being treated like a fool and brushed off time and time again. I am not asking much...only that they do their darn job and start looking for answers instead of trying to cover things up with a pill. Your heart beats fast, take a pill....you have constant migraines, take a pill. How about WHY??? Again, like I said, I am not sure this has anything to do with my thyroid. Quite possibly it does not. But I don't think that a 29 year old should be feeling so tired and lousy all of the time, babies at home or not. I don't see why I should have to ASK them to do anything....they just should because it's their job. I don't go to work each day and wait for clients to call and ask me to do my job. I just do it because IT'S MY JOB! But I know you are right. I have to just start standing up for myself and telling them what I want them do and to just do it. I mean, hey, I waisted $65.00 to get a CT scan done when I knew it was pointless. I did it because they wanted me to. Now it's their turn, right? Are their other specific tests that I should ask for...thyroid related or not? They checked the following things, again, all coming back as normal: CBC, VIT B12, Kidney Function and Thyroid. What specifics should I be seeking?

Old 03-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

Delia,
I understand how hard it is ... have been going through the similar kind of reasoning like you and so have many others on the board..
YOU are RIGHT.. there is something going on.. no doubt..
Your body tells you when things are NOT right..
We have to focus on getting the right help since it is a given the most docs have a kind of attitude for some reason.

Post your labs here and ranges

MKG and others are excellent wrt telling you when things are OFF EVEN when they are in the normal ranges. Being in the normal range is not enough as alot of us thyroid sufferers are facing..
Post your vitamin ranges and levels.. all that is controversial.
Ferritin of 13 when the range is 10-300 is IN the normal range and 3 docs have told me it is fine and one told me it is low and supplemented it..

Vit D of 25 when the range is 33-XX was said to be ok by the neurologist and others and yet the endo said it was too low and gave me tonnes of Vit D.

The above want to drive home more that being "in normal range" is not enough when it come to atleast the thyroid and vitamin levels.. don't know what else.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Again, Dream, thanks for listening. I will try to remember my levels as best as my memory serves me since I don't have them in front of me. My TSH was 1.880 (.4 - 4.8) FT4 was 1.4 (sorry I don't remember the range on this one but it was in the "normal" range") and TT3 was 1.31 (they didn't give me the range for this test.) The only vitamin level they tested was B12 and the result was 426 or something around that (range of 239-930) So again, all of this was normal and from what I can see, it all looks normal, although what do I know? I didn't know the range for the TT3 test and kept trying to find a roundabout range on the internet but like I said, it kept saying that TT3 ranges were in the 80's to one hundred plus range which made no sense to me, and if they maybe miswrote it and they really did a FT3 test the ranges I was finding were starting around 2.3 which would then put me under, although I don't know if that even matters if it's the only thing off. So, there they are....don't know if it tells anything or not, but any ideas would be great. I would like to call back and ask them to check my hormone levels as well, but I am not sure which ones to ask for specifically....because like I said, they think the migraines are caused by hormones, and I have other issues going on like very long, heavy periods etc.... Anyway, again, thanks and anything else you or anyone could advise would be so greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Delia79; 03-25-2009 at 06:40 AM.

Closed Thread