It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
Iodine/Ioderal

HI-

I am usually over at the breast cancer boards, but have read how ioderal/iodine is one way to prevent recurrance by decreasing the levels of bromine in the blood (somehow protective).

My thyroid function is normal and my ob/gyn said they have seen pts supplement with iodine and then their thyroid actually stops functioning?
I'm just questioning whether it is wise to supplement with iodine if it could cause harm to the thyroid gland for someone who's thyroid IS working. - I've heard our diets are iodine depleted, but unsure if we need to supplement?

Anyone know anything about this?
Thanks for any input.
Leea

Old 03-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
(female)

tired47 HB User
Re: Iodine/Ioderal

There are a lot of great sites on iodine.... I don't think I am able to list them, but just type in iodine or Dr. Abraham, Dr. West..... and their research. It is very interesting and informative.
Good luck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
(female)

TV in RV HB User

Only take iodine if you have a deficiency. Iodine will push your thyroid to perform even when your thyroid doesn't want to. If your thyroid is already unstable then taking to much iodine will add stress to the gland causing it to easily fail. Too little iodine will cause underproduction of the thyroid; too much iodine will over work the thyroid causing failure.

Iodine deficiency is rare in the USA because we used iodized salt and we eat food that contains high amounts of naturally occuring iodine. But that's not to say that you don't have a deficiency. Just be careful since taking to much is indeed very bad for your thyroid. The average iodine intake in the USA is over 600 mcg per day, but the recommended dietary allowance is only 150 mcgs.

By the way, iodine supplements only work for about 4 hours and then you crash.

Last edited by TV in RV; 03-24-2009 at 10:07 PM.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I don't know if your body is iodine deficient or not---but having had to prep for thyroid cancer treatment with a "low iodine diet"--I'll tell you that it would be pretty hard to be low in iodine in your diet in the US.

First, eggs have iodine, all dairy products and milk have iodine, potato skins have iodine, bread has iodine (they use iodide in flour to keep it fresh), and even rice has iodine. So besides the iodine added to the salt in this country, if you have eggs and dairy products-even chicken and meats have some iodine--there's a good chance you're okay.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Thanks TV and Reece. - Very interesting and informative.
I agree. - I just don't feel comfortable taking a supplement like that, that could blow my thyroid.

Leea

Old 03-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
(female)

cato HB User

There is much evidence to assume most people are iodine deficient. The World Health Organization says that 1 third of the world is deficient. Iodine improves I.Q.

Bread used to have iodine added by bakeries decades ago as a conditioning agent. Some time ago the U.S. companies switched to bromide. They can track the slide in levels from that point onward. Bromide is an iodine blocker.

Iodine, Fluoride, Bromide, Chlorine are in the family of elements called halides. Due to the atomic weights of each, iodine is prevented from being absorbed because the other 3 halides are grabbed by the thyroid instead.

Our RDA is unbelievably too low. Asians consume 80 times more iodine per day than Westerners in seaweed alone. They get about 14milligrams/day and are not dropping from thyroid disease. The research of Dr Guy Abrams and Dr David Brownstein shows that the thyroid only uses microgram amounts, but other organs use milligram amounts.

So, suffice it to say, if you drink fluoridated water you are deficient in iodine. If you drink soft drinks, you are consuming bromide. Carpets and upholstery offgas bromide.

You could do a quick test to see. Paint some iodine on your skin before bedtime. If the stain is gone by morning you are probably deficient. But don't eat the health store type of iodine. Only Lugol's Solution of Iodine or Iodoral tablets are safe to take internally(Pharmacies or online). The tinctures sold in health stores won't poison you, but they do not contain the ratio of iodine to potassium iodide that the body's organs require.
Soy is also a thyroid blocker.

You cannot blow your thyroid out by taking 2 drops of Lugol's Iodine daily or taking kelp powder. You will only get healthier. Lugol's is very effective at drawing mercury, fluoride and other heavy metals out of the body as long as you are taking in a lot more iodine than the other 3 halides.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Before supplementing test your iodine levels. You can do this with a simple urine catch test. Do not supplement something than can cause iodine toxicity effects. Only take supplements if you NEED to take the supplement.

My bread still has calcium iodate in it, no bromide. I have three different soda brands in front of me as well.. no bromide. You have to read your labels to see what you are getting for sure. My allergies and those of my family members cause me to check EVERY label. Also the iodine skin test is only valid if you are not dehydrated. On top of that it is a period of 20 minutes not over night that one needs in testing. If you are dehydrated or have dry skin you can not perform a valid iodine skin test. The best way is to get your MD to check your iodine levels.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-01-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:17 AM   #8
(female)

corky101 HB User

I'm glad to see your quote here. I recently found this info on my local TV news - they were interviewing a woman who said what you just did and recommended a book "Iodine: Why you need it and can't live without it".
When I research this further, I notice that there are 2 camps - the one that says what one poster says (about how Americans totally get enough iodine) and the other (that says what you did). Since I've seen this type of polarization regarding HRT (with bioidenticals), I'm wary of main stream medicine anymore. The bioidenticals are life changing but are not embraced by most doctors!
p.s. I ordered the iodoral and am waiting for its delivery

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-20-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #9
(female)

TV in RV HB User
The thing about iodine is, too much = bad for the thyroid, too little = bad for the thyroid.

like asia, the adverage american usually consumes too much. Iodine deficiency is rare in the USA because we used iodized salt and we eat food that contains high amounts of naturally occuring iodine. But that's not to say that you don't have a deficiency. I have heard of cases in the USA. Just test for a deficiency first, since taking to much is bad for your thyroid too.

The average iodine intake in the USA is over 600 mcg per day, but the recommended dietary allowance is only 150 mcgs.

Good sources of iodine include vegetables grown in iodine-rich soil, milk products, salt water fish and iodized salt.

Bacon
150g 18 mcg
Milk
560g 86 mcg
Potato chips
265g 13 mcg
Trout
150g 24 mcg
Beer
560g 45 mcg
Eggs
70g 37 mcg
Tuna
150g 21 mcg
Cheese
40g 18 mcg
Fish fingers
75g 75 mcg
Liver
150g 22 mcg
Pilchards in tomato sauce
100g 64 mcg
Yogurt
150g 95 mcg

Old 09-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
(female)

corky101 HB User

Okay, here I am months later after taking the ioderal. I started with one tablet a day, then went to two and (in about a month) I was taking three.

A little background: 4 years ago I suddenly started menopause at age 39. The hot flashes were unbearable and I started using natural progesterone cream which took care of the hot flashes. I still gained about 20lbs and had night sweats. Four years later (about the time of my post above), I checked out the copy of my blood test and did see a thyroid level out of range (my doctor somehow missed this). I tried the Ioderal.

First - the night sweats were gone in about two weeks.
Second - More energy (not as tired) - but that can be attributed to finally sleeping without waking up drenched.
Third - Started to lose weight. I exercise and watch what I eat, but for the past 4 years, doing this did nothing (infact, I just seemed to gain, I went from 132 to 157). I lost about 12 lbs so far and I have to say that I eat pretty normal.
Fourth - I got a full period (first one within the past 4 years).
Fifth - my basal temperature is 98.6 - Since I can remember, my temp has always been around 97. Last spring I started dipping even lower and didn't understand why.

So there it is. I'm worried that I might go hyperthyroid, but so far I don't see that I have any of those symtoms (rapid heart beat, thinning hair and finger tremmors).

Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
(female)

corky101 HB User

Here is an update (now about 8 months on the ioderal):

The iodine helped however, at the time I also suspected that I had/have sleep apnea. I woke up gasping for air (and once in a while my husband says that I snore). I didn't realize that night sweats can be caused by sleep apnea. All the while I was blaming menopause, which I blamed on possilby being hypothyroid. So, I started to sleep with a tennis ball under a sports bra to keep me from lying on my back (right around that time I started taking the iodine).
The night sweats went away and I thought it was due to the iodine...BUT (fast forward to about 2 months ago), I stopped sleeping with the tennis ball and the night sweats came back. I should also note that I also got day sweats too (but not as bad as at night). So, I started to think it was my thyroid, and that the iodine wasn't working.
Two nights ago I started sleeping with the ball again and (lo and behold) immediately the night sweats stopped! I feel normal again (even during the day). And (for the first time in a long time) I'm able to wear a sweater, lol.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
(female)

rrealrose HB User

<edited: disallowed>

Glad ya'll are getting results.

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-20-2010 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Please do not post disallowed Internet websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

I have not visited this site for awhile. - What an interesting discussion!
So informative. I have made a copy of everyone's comments.

I would like to try the skin test. Does anyone know if this is available at a place like Walgreen's or should I check online?

Someone mentioned being well-hydrated before the test to get accurate results. - I would assume if I drink a couple of glasses of water before the test, I should be OK ( I am not a big fluid drinker and probably AM dehydrated at least part of the day.)

Thanks for any info.

Leea

Closed Thread