It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
(female)

Dragon79 HB User
Normal TSH, but Hypothyroid symptoms

Hello, I could use some advice. I've been having hypothyroid symptoms for years, but every time my thyroid is tested, it comes back normal.

Here are my recent tests:

October, 2008

Thyroid Function:
TSH: 0.86 (normal 0.44 - 4.37)

March, 2009

Thyroid Function:
TSH: 1.21 (normal 0.44 - 4.37)
Free T4 0.7 (normal 0.4 - 1.4)

Recent symptoms (less than a year):
- Short term memory problems
- Flushing fingers and face
- Occasional dizziness when standing with headache for a few days
- Lower blood pressure
- Acid reflux
- Occasional mild tingling in fingers/toes
- Ringing in ears
- Feeling hot easily, sweating easily
- Occasional pain on back side of tongue
- Occasional sore throat or lump in throat (could this be allergies?)

Long term symptoms (3-4 years at least):
- Thinning hair
- Feel cold easily, hands and feet usually cold
- Digestive problems (IBS - constipation, gas, occasional diarrhea)
- Bladder problems - Interstitial Cystitis
- Tiredness, problems sleeping (I wake up many times every night)
- Headaches, especially when waking (more than 10 years)
- Sinus problems
- Occasional seasonal allergies
- Dark circles under eyes

I'm 29, and female. I am not overweight or gaining weight (although I found it difficult to lose weight in the past), and I actually starting losing some weight about a month ago. Some of my symptoms may be side effects of medication. I'm taking nortriptyline (for headaches), spironolactone (for my thinning hair), Loestrin 24, and ranitidine (for acid reflux). I've started all of these within the past few months.

From what I have read, the tests I've had are not sufficient to rule out thyroid problems. I tried to get an appointment with an endo at the clinic I go to, but they don't accept appointments without a GP diagnosis first. My GP ran the tests above (along with tests for nutrition, liver, kidneys, etc), and said everything was fine. She gave me a nose spray for my allergies.

My neurologist ran an MRI (too early for results yet) and I'm doing a sleep study in two weeks for possible sleep apnea.

I seem to be pretty typical of hypothyroid except for the lack of weight gain. Do I need to find a new GP? Or perhaps find an endo that will see me without test results first? If anyone can recommend someone in Austin, I would appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
(female)

Dragon79 HB User
Re: Normal TSH, but Hypothyroid symptoms

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Hi Dragon, I'd get more labs, female hormone panel, dhea, t-3. I'm low in t-4 and t-3 and endo feels I'm "fine". My dhea was very low, per holistic dr testing. I'm taking dhea. Holistic dr gave me some cytomel, endo is against it. My female hormones are way whacky! (hysterectomy yrs ago) high on the estradiol, weird... Endo upped my synthroid, due to giving me some estrogen for sleep issues, which I've stopped taking. I've just added 5 mg of cytomel back in as I've got a ton left. I'm moving next month out of state so found a terrific dr, I hope, on another thyroid board in my new state. So adding t3 for the energy I so need right now. Check out the board about top thyroid drs and maybe you can find one who listens? best wishes, cj
Hysterectomy

Old 03-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

I'm sorry to hear this is going on for you. You have many more symptoms than I. I have recently started having the ringing in my ears too but it started when I was on Wellbutrin, and never stopped. I am only on 75 mcg of levothyroid, I had to show the current numbers for the endocrynology(sp?) to my Dr. too, because she thought I was technically within normal range and the numbers had been narrowed. I'm having more problems with my temperature over time though, which is my first big sign that my thyroid was going weird on me, and I've had a mild goater for years. (hypothyroidism runs in my family on the female side).

Old 03-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Dragon,
Your TSH is just about perfect, but TSH never tells the whole story.
Your Free T4 is lowish... only about 30% of its range. That's too low for the majority of the population, and that might account for the thyroid-type symptoms. (Your symptoms are mostly not typical of thyroid problems, though.) It's imperative to have your Free T3 tested as well. If it's similarly low as the Free T4, you could benefit from thyroid supplementation... although most MDs wouldn't prescribe it. Some would, though.

It would be beneficial to have tests for TPO and Tg antibodies. If these are positive, you might more easily find an MD who would treat you for thyroid. You also must have an MD check your neck for goiter by palpating it while you swallow. Has anyone done that?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
(female)

Dragon79 HB User

Thank you all for the responses. It sounds like more tests are needed, but I don't think the endos will see me without abnormal tests since the TSH seems fine. I like my GP, but it seems like most of the time when I tell her my symptoms, she says "I don't know", and treats a few of the symptoms only without trying to determine the cause when my tests come back normal.

Midwest, my GP did examine my neck when I went in last week and had me swallow, so nothing seems amiss there.

Closed Thread