It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
(female)

Jane0218 HB User
Question Got my tests results back--Hashimoto's? Adrenals??

I've posted before thinking I have adrenal fatigue. I thought I found a doctor who could help me, but now I'm not sure.
I got a bunch of tests done (still waiting on the saliva test which will give info on cortisol and neurotransmitters). The dr. said I'll probably get hasimoto's hypothyroidism in the future, and wants to start me on synthroid.
I'm very, very, very sensitive to meds and vitamins and supplements. I can only tolerate about 1/3rd of normal doses.
1) Do the following results mean anything other than what the dr said?
Selenium 290 (100-340)
T3, Reverse 29 (11-32)
T3, Free 295 (230-420)
Vitamin B12 327 (200-1100)
Vitamin D 15 (>30) --this is low and I've been given Vit D supplement
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 177 (<35) --in 7/08 they were 94, so they've risen.
Candida Albicans AB, IGA 1.2 (> or = 1.00 mean Antibody detected)
From March tests:
Sodium 134 (135-146)
Cortisol, Total 12.5 (4-22)
T4, Free 1.1 (0.8-1.8)
TSH, 3rd generation 1.88 (0.40-4.50)

2) I thought hashimoto's and hypothyroidism were different diagnoses? Am I wrong?
I thought I had adrenal fatigue (I have all the classic symptoms) and read I shouldn't start any meds for the thyroid because they could hurt poorly functioning adrenals. I'm very confused because this dr said adrenals and thyroid work together. I was sent to a psychiatrist because my anxiety level is so high and I'm having bad sleeping problems. The shrink thinks it's depression related, but I just don't feel depressed. I'm really anxious, and am on diazepam (for many years) to help that, but it's increased dramatically the past couple of years, since my stressors have increased. By the way, I've been very 'high-strung' all my life and started on diazepam in 2003.
FYI: My severe headaches and nausea and constant hunger disappeared about a week after I stopped working. My brain fog has eased up a bit in the last week.

3) I read helping the adrenals get back in shape is faster taking medications like hydrocortisone, Cortef or Isocort as opposed to going with vitamin supplements, dessicated adrenal, or herbs. Is this true?

I'm so very confused and feel like I have to be the doctor and diagnose myself. I have to get better real soon, because I have to work. If I don't work I don't have insurance or money to live on. What would I do? My job is a big stressor, but I'm not strong enough to search for another. I tried the top-docs website and there's no one near me who is good from that site. I just don't know where to turn. It's been 5 weeks and I'm only a tiny bit better.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Got my tests results back--Hashimoto's? Adrenals??

Okay first some definitions:

hashimoto's thyroiditis is an AUTOIMMUNE disease in which hypothyroidism is the end result of your immune system killing off your thyroid.

Hypothyroidism is the state in which your thyroid by whatever means can not produce enough thyroid hormone to meet your body's physical demands.

You have Hashimoto's given the positive antibody tests. Thus you will go hypothyroid. Your thyroid hormone levels will continue to flux UNTIL your immune system has killed off your thyroid.

How do you fight Hashimoto's? You can't you can only treat the symptoms. It has been proven that proactively treating the thyroid production issues with 25-50 mcgs early on can prolong the life of your thyroid and alleviate many symptoms. Your MD sounds like a good one. Many have to go through 5 or more to find a keeper. I did. I Still haven't found a keeper Endo....

Now let us look at your results I am going to reorganize them for clarity of grouping:
Thyroid:
TSH, 3rd generation 1.88 (0.40-4.50) I had symptoms of hypoT with a TSH of 1.2. At a TSH of 1.5, I wanted treatment. By a TSH of 2, I was ready to roll over and let the dog bury me. This is getting to the upper limit of normal for a Hashimoto's patient. Normal TSH for one with antibodies established by the A A C E in 2006 was 0.3-2.0.

T4, Free 1.1 (0.8-1.8) You are 30% of normal here. Optimal is 50-80% of normal range. You could use supplementation. Now do you need T3 supplementation or will a T4 supplement work.

T3, Reverse 29 (11-32) This is 85.7% of normal. This is higher than optimal. you may need some T3 supplementation. Let us see what your FT3 levels tell us.

T3, Free 295 (230-420) You are 34.2% of normal. You do not have a large discrepancy in Ft4 and Ft3 levels yet. So given you are balanced in FT4 and Ft3 range a T4 only supplement would be your best bet at the moment. Once you have been on a T4 supplement for 4-6 weeks get a retesting of your TSH, Ft3, Ft4 levels. If the FT3 hasn't risen in balance with the Ft4 a T3 supplement is most likely needed.

Selenium 290 (100-340) You are good here do not add any more. Too much Selenium is toxic to humans.

Vitamin B12 327 (200-1100) This is low. You should start a super B complex to boost your B12 levels.

Vitamin D 15 (>30) --this is low and I've been given Vit D supplement. Good call.

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 177 (<35) --in 7/08 they were 94, so they've risen. This means you Hashimoto's is more active and more thyroid tissue is being destroyed. Simple and to be expected.

Candida Albicans AB, IGA 1.2 (> or = 1.00 mean Antibody detected)

From March tests:
Sodium 134 (135-146)
Cortisol, Total 12.5 (4-22) This is a tad low. What about an ACTH? DHEA-S? You might want to ask about a 24 hour saliva cortisol test as well? But given the balanced Ft4 and Ft3 levels I think your adrenal cortisol output is fine. Was this taken fasting at 8 am? If not it can not tell you much reliably.

All in all I think treating the thyroid now is a good thing. I have Hashimoto's, I am hypothyroid, hypoadrenal, and I have insulin resistance and PCOS.. so I have been where you are now. In my opinion, the sooner you boost thyroid production the sooner you will feel better.

MG

Old 04-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
(female)

Jane0218 HB User
Re: Got my tests results back--Hashimoto's? Adrenals??

Thanks so much, MG.

Your post was very clear and easy to understand.

I'm still waiting on the saliva tests, which will give cortisol, DHEA and neurotransmitter results.

The blood cortisol test was taken at 10AM, fasting.

Thanks again. I'll be referring back to your post for reference.

Jane

Closed Thread