It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
(female)

Sunnyglen HB User
Help! Too many thyroid cases showing up here.

Hi,

We live in Southwestern Pa. on a farm. We have lived here for 22 years and a salvage yard moved across the road from us 12 years ago. We are on well water. He crushes cars about twice a year and all of the runoff water comes down through our farm.

We have had hypothyroid cases showing up here for the past 10 years.
My husband, daughter, myself, a horse and three dogs, one having thryoid cancer. We are all on synthroid. My oldest daughter is fine but she moved out before the junk yard moved in.

We have notified DEP and they sited this guy for dumping oil into the ground. They did water samples but can't find anything. Everything is pointing to this junk yard. We installed a reverse osmosis filter on our kitchen water, but will that filter out everything?

My daughter's endrocologist agrees something is going on. Her thyroid was so bad, they had to give her the radio active iodine to keep it underactive and take synthroid. My vet agrees something also is going on. She's never heard of one person having this many dogs with thryoid trouble. This is really starting to scare me.

Does anyone know what chemicals can directly cause damage to the thyroid and cause hypothyroidism? There has to be something in our water that is not being tested for, that is causing this damage to our thyroids. I am waiting for him to crush cars again and then I am going to take a water sample from the run off that comes through here and see what is showing up in that. It's just that it is very expensive to do this, but I have no choice.

Please, any info would really be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joyce

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
(female)

nchantng HB User
Re: Help! Too many thyroid cases showing up here.

im not sure what it might have to do with a junkyard - but Perchlorates (rocket fuel, dry cleaning) cause thyroid damage and should be part of any water testing of a well where there is a suspicion of chemical issues. Twice here in California I have seen perchlorate residues showing up in well water, once in a large city where part of the water supply was still on a well that had a dry cleaners that had illegally dumped chemicals for years. The other instance (very scary) near a military base/defense contractor and the runoff had leached into the soil and contaminants were picked up in produce. Ask the authorities if this was one of the things tested for specifically.

good luck

Old 04-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

The most scientifically accepted cause of thyroid issues (that nobody argues) is radiation. If it's your household, some also think radon in the soil/basement can affect thyroid as well. Does your neighborhood have radon? Have you ever tested your basement?

Old 04-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The chemicals most often linked to thyroid disease are: fluoride, chlorine, perchlorate, dioxins, and ... interestingly... methyl tertiary butyl (MTBE), which is an oxygenate added to gasoline. Might the guy be contaminating the ground water with gasoline?

Reece's radon theory is a sound one worth consideration; but that wouldn't explain the horse's disease, nor the dogs - unless they are housedogs who spend lots of time in the basement. Toxic levels of radon usually concentrate in basements and become less concentrated in the upper floors of a building.

Just a thought... Are you near the Three Mile Island nuclear facility? My geographical knowledge of PA is limited.

I hope you get the answers you need.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
(female)

TV in RV HB User

Any material that is radioactive would be a corporate. If he isn't careful with battery fluids then this would be a big red flag. Batteries contain lead and radioactive material. These HAVE to be properly disposed and it sounds to me that this junkyard guy has a lazy attitude about the enviroment.

Heavy metals, especialy mercury will casue thyroid damage. Being that he is crushing cars and many cars are made with mercury then this could be a likely cause.

I highly reccomend that you have your blood tested for heavy metals. Well water often contains heavy metals espeacially if you are near the presence of industrial influence.

I imagine that there are blood tests for a number toxic substances. Once you prove that you have been contaminated then you can take futher steps. Do NOT drop this. There is NO coincidence that everyone in your family including most of your pets have thryoid disease. Dropping this could put your neighbors at risk and anyone that drinks well water on this land for years to come.

I recomend a doctor supervised internal cleanse and don't drink anymore well water.

Keep us updated!

Last edited by TV in RV; 04-03-2009 at 11:22 AM.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
(female)

Sunnyglen HB User

We tested for Radon and it came back negative. I asked DEP to test for perchlorate and none showed up. I also had them check for Sodium Azide which is found in the air bags of cars and can hurt the thyroid, but again this was not found. There has to be something in the water that is not being tested for. I just wonder if something is always present or just showing up periodically.
Thanks all, I will look into all the info. you mentioned.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
(female)

TV in RV HB User

Heavy metals stay in your body forever so you would certainly pick it up in a blood test.

Toxins like radioactive material runoff from the junkyard would probably show up in blood tests periodically, only when the the junkyard keeper wants to be careless. However, radon occurs naturally in the soil so it would be more constant.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
(male)

HisKid1973 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post

Just a thought... Are you near the Three Mile Island nuclear facility? My geographical knowledge of PA is limited.

I hope you get the answers you need.
I am about 15 miles away and I have hashimoto's for about 9 years...

Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I can't say that radiation caused your problem in particular, but I am 100% sure that radiation can cause thyroid disease. Case in point... the Chernobyl accident has cause a surge of thyroid cancer 3 to 5 times higher than it was before the accident. It also has caused a spike in titers of anti-thyroid antibodies, which cause hypothyroidism. There has been undisputed thyroid damage in the wake of that accident.
The Three Mile Island incident was insignificant compared to Chernobyl's, if the official reports are accurate and honest.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
(female)

TV in RV HB User

Yeah, the cure for hyperthyroidism is to drink radioactive material. There is a reason that the iodine is radioactive. Radiation kills thyroid tissue. When estheticians use radioactive lights on the face, The EPA requires that they cover the thyroid area, on the neck with a heavy material that blocks radiation.

Last edited by TV in RV; 04-07-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
(female)

Sunnyglen HB User

Hi,

Three Mile Island is in central Pa. near Harrisburg. I live about an hour west of Pittsburgh, so no where near Three Mile Island.
I want to thank everyone for the info you posted. I never thought about being tested for heavy metal poisoning. I have a doctor's check-up the end of the month and will talk to him about this. What is better, blood work or hair folicle test for this?
We are really concerned about this and this has been going on for 10 yrs. now. We have a pond on our farm and all of the run off water from this junk yard guys place comes down through our farm and into our pond. I always thought that as long as the fish and frogs didn't go belly-up, we would be safe. But maybe fish don't have thyroids, don't know. And what else could this be doing to our health?
I am waiting for this man to crush cars again and then I am going to take a sample of this run off water and have it tested for the things that were mentioned here.
So if there is anything else that you can think of, please let me know. I am going to first call my township to see if they will cover the cost of this, because they have a pipe under the road sending all of this water down through our farm. We talked to them before about this and they said that the water would come down here even if that pipe wasn't there because the road is lower there. And then I told them that they have to make sure that what is coming down here is not polluted.
I just know this is all coming from the junk yard. We had three barn cats get sick the second year he started crushing cars. Two with a urinary blockage and one with kidney failure, they had to get into something. I saved all the vet information and bills over the years, so I do have some proof that something is going on.
Thank you all,
Joyce

Old 04-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
(female)

TV in RV HB User

I here that a hair follicle test is more accurate. The heavy metals will many times find a safe place to hide so if you were to do a blood test then you would need to first take a mobilizer to set the metals loose from whatever cell they are binding to. Mobilizing these metals can repoison you all over again, so I would much rather prefer the follicle test.

Never try to chelate or mobilize the metals without a doctor, dietitian or some sort of holistic professional supervision. You can get very sick if the process isn't done properly.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

I wanted to mention maybe it's the antifreeze. The kidney failure and kidney problems in the cats may be a clue to that. It only takes a small amount.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
(female)

juner50 HB User

Joyce,
If I were you I would go to the local Water Board or Town/City Hall, find and make copies of these alleged papers stating that the water is "fine". I wouldn't just take someones word without actually seeing it on paper.

Also, have you done soil samples? You said you live on a farm. Do you grow crops on this farm? There could be something in the soil.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #15
(female)

Sunnyglen HB User

Hi,

I did receive the report that DEP did on my well water and everything that they tested for came back ok. They said they tested for pechlorate but I didn't see thoses results. I like animals and have a wide assortment of them here, horses, goats, sheep, pot-bellied pig and chickens. We don't grow any crops and don't use fertilizer. I don't even use weed killer because everything eventually goes into the pond and I worry about that. There just has to be something and it is not being tested for. My farm vet is going to test my outside dog next week and if she comes back positive for hypothyroid, I am really going to be scared.
Thanks for your help,
Joyce

Closed Thread