It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
(female)

SoManyFeelings HB User
Could elevated lymphocytes be due to hashimotos?

Hi all ... I just posted the below in another message board but wanted also your insight as to whether my elevated lymphocytes and low neutrophils could be due to my hashimotos or hypothyroidism ... at the moment my TSH is 4.3, Free T4 is 1.1 (0.9 - 1.8), and Total Triiodothyronitine is 119 (97 - 219) ... (and I don't take any kind of synthroid, etc.) thank you.

Hi all ... for over the past 3 years my blood work up has shown elevated lymphocytes (46%) and lymphocyte counts (3.2%) and now low neutrophils in all my tests, approx. 7 times and all high ... however, my actual WBC count is fine at 6.9% ... I am thinking about seeing a hematologist because of the lymphocytes being elevated for over 3yrs.. and also years back my lymphs were in the 20%'s. Please anyone, would love to hear your insight, thank you

Old 04-17-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Could elevated lymphocytes be due to hashimotos?

I'm not expert but just to compare your situation to mine, my lymphocytes were always quite low and the lab would even put a comment that i was suffering from mild lymphopenia and my doctor never ever did or said a thing about it. At the same time i had also seen and Endochronologist and he said i never had a thyroid issues, when all along i had Hashimoto's.

When i showed those blood tests to my current thyroid doctor he said by the lymphocytes being low it showed that my immune system wasn't very good even back then. So i'm not sure exactly where that leaves things, if mine were low and i had Hashi's and yours are high....... i'm not sure what that means, but it does interest me and i've thought of the lymphocyte/Hashi's connection myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
(female)

SoManyFeelings HB User

Audrey, thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it ... I'll be seeing my endocrinologist next Friday in hopes for an answer to my lymphocytes being elevated for nearly 4 yrs ... and if she feels a need for me to see an hematologist then I'll make an appt. then. I can tell my hashis is definitely active at the moment, I'm so exhausted and feel awful ... am sure she'll do an ultrasound too because my right side feels very swollen and mainly since it's been since last June since I've been in to see her.

Again, I really appreciate you responding, I'm so surprised I didn't get more responses because I really felt more people had high lymphocytes with their thyroid ... oh well, hopefully for others they don't

Have a good day now Audrey and thanks again

Old 04-19-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi to be honest, this is the first post where someone has raised the lymphocytes issues, as far as i can remember, then again thyroid issues can make the memory a bit dodgy Maybe try looking it up on the net as well as asking your doctor. Let me know what your doctor says as i'd be interested to know.

The thyroid board moves quite fast. You can post something, blink, then find out your post is already on page 3 Just goes to show how many people out there have this illness or think they might have. Also goes to show how bad the medical system is in not training doctors more so that these people can get the correct testing and assistance.

Take care

Old 07-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
(female)

erenee HB User

This post may come too late, but I have had similar lab results. I have tested with slightly high lymphocytes and slightly low neutrophils but normal WBC several times in the last several years. My doctor has never addressed the issue and since the levels are near normal I have just watched it. I have had Hashimoto's thyroiditis for about 5 years and have been taking Synthroid most of that time to keep my TSH around 1. I have had many symptoms such as rashes (especially after taking any kind of antihistamine, pain medicine, even vitamins), swollen eyelids and even drooping eyelid, melasma (darkening of skin above upper lip and on nose) and more that I associate with the Hashimoto's that have not improved. I am considering getting tested for Addison's disease as I have been reading about its association with many of my symptoms.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

erenee, i haven't had any of those types of symptoms but also have Hashimotos. That's not to say everbody gets the same symptoms as we are all affected differently. The fact is that it's not just the thyroid which is an issue but other things can occur as a result of the thyroid issues and the auto immune condition. You are right to check out any other areas.

Incase you don't know, a lot of Hashi's and general thyroid suffers have low ferritin (iron stores), low Vitamin D and some also with low B12. You should get all those checked out too. Simply having low Vit D can cause a long list of issues.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I have been on this board for 3 years and not that I could not miss something but I do not remember seeing any post that addressed this.....I know mine have always been normal and I have Hashis...any decrease or increase should be noted.
I comb over all my labs because I have other health problems too. Let us know what your doctor has to say. My boyfriend is seeing a hematologist next Friday for an elevated White Count.

Oleander

Old 07-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
(female)

superboo HB User

I'm not sure if it's related, but I have Hashimoto's and most times I get my urine tested, there is elevated WBC, but not enough to do anything (they always just comment on it).

Closed Thread